Brewer Fanatic

The Dugout Fight (video on Brewers.com)

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Parra would shoved Prince into the bench in the bleachers he would not be getting a "pass.". Just like if all Prince would have done is yell at Parra he would be getting a "pass." Players get frustrated and say stupid things and that is an understandable part of the game, but a physical altercation with a teammate is not, especially not in public. I am actually surprised people are trying to compare what Parra said, and maybe a little piece of jacket hitting Prince (which seemed very unintentional) to what Prince did. Parra at worst was immature in saying something stupid, or immature in leaving the dugout (of course he may have a routine once he is out especially with his injury history), Prince was shoved him twice and then had to be restrained. It was embarrassing just like the Zambrano-Barrett fight last year.

Greenie went on to note that Ned's reaction to the media, calling reporters "rude" for even daring to ask about the physical confrontation, shows that he's not in step with what's going on around him.

To be fair, ESPN people almost always get overly defensive when any athlete or coach criticizes a member of the media, whether its deserved or not.

Am I really the only one who doesn't care what any manager or coach says to the media. They are only there because they are made to be. They are essentially saying "Blah, blah, balh" just long enough to justify ending the conversation.

Actions speak louder than words. Let's just see how the situation is handled.

Greenie went on to note that Ned's reaction to the media, calling reporters "rude" for even daring to ask about the physical confrontation, shows that he's not in step with what's going on around him.
To be fair, ESPN people almost always get overly defensive when any athlete or coach criticizes a member of the media, whether its deserved or not.

And sweeping generalizations are always right.

And sweeping generalizations are always right.

Hey, I qualified that with an "almost"!

Am I really the only one who doesn't care what any manager or coach says to the media. They are only there because they are made to be. They are essentially saying "Blah, blah, balh" just long enough to justify ending the conversation.

Nope, you're not the only one. I rarely put much stock into what a manager/coach says to the media.

If I had to sit there every day answering basically the same stupid questions for 180 to 200 days, after putting in a full day's work, I'd probably seem annoyed all the time as well.

I agree. I don't know enough about the fight itself simply from watching it and reading players' relatively canned comments, but I tend to agree with the general consensus from those who have more experience with this than us (Braun, Parra, Schroeder, etc) that this happens more often than is disclosed and really doesn't have a strong effect one way or the other.

I do, however, disagree with the idea of focusing any frustrations about this incident on Ned. If anything, I think he succeeded in distracting the media enough from the fight to throw a media pity party and move on from this as soon as possible.

you're not the only one. i could care less what a manager says to the media, not the most important part of his job. this whole thing is not on Ned and he is right in saying its none of our business. i'm sure the team is handling the situation internally, and what that is is none of our business either. sure I'm curious as to what it is but I know its none of my business.

I was more mad that they lost the game and still aren;t hitting the ball well. lets keep it in perspective, winning the games is most important. hanging out with people with different attitudes and opinions for 8 months, these things will happen, its just too bad it couldn't have happened in the clubhouse instead of the dugout where it can be overanalyzed to death.

My two cents -- probably things that were already discussed:

In regards to Ned sitting on the chair during the altercation -- what was he supposed to do? Was he supposed to peel off Maddux, Braun, Durham, etc. to get in Fielder's face? He saw it was being handled, so he went back to managing the game.

Hardy: I was happy to see him getting vocal.

Braun: Well done.

Ray Durham: I liked the leadership in getting in Prince's face and telling him to calm down.

Dave Bush: Somebody mentioned he got squished. Absolutely correct!!!!!

Gabe Kapler looked like he was poised to use his 24-inch pythons if necessary http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

After he got shoved, Parra did exactly what he needed to do -- sit still and do nothing.

This stuff about "Prince being Prince" is just crap. I'm sorry, but there is no place for this in the dugout. IMHO, it shouldn't happen in the clubhouse, but if it is going to happen, try to keep it behind closed doors. Have enough self-control to do that.

Am I really the only one who doesn't care what any manager or coach says to the media.

Normally I would agree Russ, but I think Ned crossed the line with his comments last night. His attacking the reporter for asking the question and then this whole stay out of your neighbors business stuff was horrible. If my neighbor does that to his wife or kids, you're darn right it's my business and I'm calling the police...same if it happens in the office or in someone else's office. Ned's entire baseball machismo attitude is a micrcosm of larger problems with his own personlity and his management style which is often lacking and that effects the team on the field. Therefore, yes Ned as a paying customer...it is my business.

Maybe this belongs in the silver lining--but the good news from the beating Princey gave to Manny is that we all forgot the Crew lost the game and has lost 7 of last 10 games. Perhaps this distraction is just whay the Brewers need.

By the way as a season ticket holder and taxpayer who helps pay for Miller Park--I am invested in the team and deserve better answers to a situation like this. I hope more comes from this in terms of an apology from Princey. And good grief--Yost sounds goofy some times. Frustrated with questions? He is paid for that as part of his job. Looking for a peer to Yost on this?? Check out Giardi from the Yankees, he is so superior in post games to Yost it's not even close.

Lastly--what would be being said about Princey and Neddy if Fielder did thiss to Sheets or Suppan?? They've given up big innings--so why Parra? I think Prince has something personal here, and not the heat of the moment as many here seem to think. And if that is the case, Fielder needs to sit out at least 3 games for a lack of leadership/immaturity and grow up quite a bit.

This incident like many others before it just shows that Ned has no control over the clubhouse. It also shows that the team is once again very tight down the stretch of the season like it was last year under Neds watch. Ned has earned the nickname nervous ned for a reason and its just showing again. This team plays stupidly, has no conposure and looks like its gonna fold again under pressure. This incident along with the Graffanino and Estrada fight with Yost last year are terrible examples of a bad clubhouse atmosphere and that is the fault of one clueless Ned Yost.

I agree with you. Managers or coaches in any sport rarely say anything that really means much.

I agree with everything FTJ has said.

Just some thoughts on things I've seen and heard in Huntsville and Nashville:

- JJ has always been a team leader. He's just the silent type, but he does carry some weight in the clubhouse. He's very well respected by the team and other teams. I think some here will be surprised with the type of money he'll be offered when he hits free agency.

- Parra is intense. I'm not saying he said or did anything because I have no clue, but he doesn't have zero emotion. He is very, very intense on game days and takes his job very seriously. There is no question about his will to win and he very well may have said something to Prince. Is he to blame? I don't think so.

I think the organization needs to sit down and talk face to face with Prince. There have been some indications that he's not happy and this needs to be smoothed out. Prince needs to know that this is not how Milwaukee Brewers act. I also think we need to take a step back and look at how the team saw this situation. Zero players held or attempted to hold Parra back while several held Prince back. To me it looks like this has happened before or the players knew it was possible. Would you really be afraid of Prince? He's big and all, but it's not muscle. If Kapler or Branyan was going after you, I'd imagine you'd fear your life is over.

In regards to Ned sitting on the chair during the altercation -- what was he supposed to do? Was he supposed to peel off Maddux, Braun, Durham, etc. to get in Fielder's face? He saw it was being handled, so he went back to managing the game

He's a baseball manager, not a head football coach. He's not busy during the entire game. I mean Russell Branyan was at the plate. What could Ned possibly be managing there? Telling Russell to swing for the fences in between every pitch? He doesn't have to go and get right in the middle of it, but he can at least get his ass off the chair.

He's a baseball manager, not a head football coach. He's not busy during the entire game. I mean Russell Branyan was at the plate. What could Ned possibly be managing there? Telling Russell to swing for the fences in between every pitch? He doesn't have to go and get right in the middle of it, but he can at least get his ass off the chair.

It's not his job to babysit a professional athlete. Yost gets involved and he's 'picking sides' or some freak injury happens to Fielder and Yost gets the blame. He didn't get involved and didn't put any blame on Fielder after the game. He did the right thing IMO.

Parra is essentially a rookie, and he has to learn the ropes. That's why he gets a little more slack than Prince in my mind. Maybe he has done this before and Price had enough, we don't know. The Baseball Tonight guys made good points that it really should have been the pitching coach or one of the other starters who should have pulled Parra aside and let him know that is the wrong way to handle it.

Isn't Parra older than Prince and been in the Brewer system longer? It became apparent yesterday Parra knows much more on how to conduct himself like a Brewer than Prince.

I think Ned crossed the line with his comments last night. His attacking the reporter for asking the question and then this whole stay out of your neighbors business stuff was horrible.
Did I miss something? All I heard was Ned saying was that he was going to keep it in house, and he compared the asking about it to that of a nosy neighbor being rude. Unless he said something else that I missed, we have a pretty wide gap between what we view as "crossing the line" and "horrible".

It occured to me that this whole incident could have been avoided if it wasn't considered normal or accepted behavior for pitchers to go into the clubhouse, shower and leave once they are removed from a game.

This is one of those baseball things that doesn't happen in other sports.

If a player fouls out of a basketball game he still stays on the bench and supports the team even though he can't play again. In football even non active players stand on the sidelines with the team for the entire game.

Prince shouldn't have pushed Parra. That is clear but for the life of me I can't understand why all players aren't required to stay in the dugout until the game is over.

Parra is essentially a rookie, and he has to learn the ropes. That's why he gets a little more slack than Prince in my mind. Maybe he has done this before and Price had enough, we don't know. The Baseball Tonight guys made good points that it really should have been the pitching coach or one of the other starters who should have pulled Parra aside and let him know that is the wrong way to handle it.

Isn't Parra older than Prince and been in the Brewer system longer? It became apparent yesterday Parra knows much more on how to conduct himself like a Brewer than Prince.

Yes Parra is older....they both started their careers with Ogden the same season.

What? No "going for it" jokes yet? Man, I'm disappointed.

http://twentydur.bytez.org/blog/imgs/2006/mayo/tyler-durden.jpg

"...Hitting rock bottom is not a weekend retreat. It is not a got damn seminar. You just have to let it all go. It is only when you have lost everything you are free to do anything..."

Ha! and we thought getting chased out of Miller Park on Thursday was rock bottom.

Archived