Brewer Fanatic

The Dugout Fight (video on Brewers.com)

TooLiveBrew
I'm ok with the first shove, the second one isn't the worst thing, it's that he make have continued if not restrained. After reading TH's blog about what happened Parra isn't exactly innocent here. I've read 9+ pages about how Prince is immature and has a bad attitude but very little about how Parra acted like a child with the way he grabbed his jacket and hat. In the heat of the moment I understand why Prince took it the way he did. I agree with Prince that the whole team was there to watch Parra give the game away he needs to stay and watch everyone else attempt to clean up his mess. Parra needs to know that this is a pennant race and every start counts. 6 runs in 6 innings to the Reds in unnacceptable. Everyone needs to cut Prince a little slack. He should not be suspended. A suspension doesn't allow the team to move on the next day. When they spend the whole game with a different first baseman it's a constant reminder about how 2/25 of the team lost control.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with what Prince said to Manny. It's understandable. But we all saw what could have happened Manny. Look at what happened to Gallardo. He landed awkwardly trying to avoid Reed Johnson/Prince -- that was enough to tear his ACL. There's no doubt that Manny could have gotten hurt. There was no need let the situation escalate. I don't believe he should be suspended -- why hurt our chances of winning? Lord knows that every game counts. Hopefully he mans up, apologizes in front of the entire team, and takes a hurtin' in the wallet.

he grabbed his jacket and hat. In the heat of the moment I understand why Prince took it the way he did

Did Manny throw his own jacket and hat or Prince's jacket and hat? It's kind of unclear. It shouldn't matter -- sometimes you lose your composure. It's one thing if you throw an object to the ground. It's quite another to attack another person.

I only read the first three pages I'll admit I couldn't take it anymore after that so excuse me if this has been said. People need to settle down this is not that big of a deal. Prince pushed Manny down thats it its not like he sucker punch him and stomped him into the dirt. For all we know Manny crossed the line and complained about the offense and/or Prince's defense. I agree this kind of stuff should never happen in the dugout but I'm sure it goes on quit a bit in the clubhouse, maybe not always phsyically. I've been on enough sports teams that have had guys get into disagreements here and there and some go too far. But for the most part unlike when girls are in disagreements guys get over these things real quick and no hard feelings last. I'm sure most of you if you have lived with your good friends have had a blow up here and there and managed to still be friends10 minutes later.

Honestly, the only thing I take away from the video is that Manny wanted no part of the bulldog confronting him.

I think Manny wanted no part of acting like a dipwad and fighting in the dugout.

I was disappointed that the small southpaw didn't at least try to defend himself.

I couldn't disagree more. I think Manny showed a lot of composure by not reentering the fray. If Parra jumps back in, someone is almost certain to get hurt in that dugout -- not to mention the whole incident ended rather quickly, if Manny had to be restrained as well as Prince, it may have taken minutes instead of seconds to resolve.

I agree with Prince that the whole team was there to watch Parra give the game away he needs to stay and watch everyone else attempt to clean up his mess.

I don't agree here either. Prince is not the manager of the team. I don't know what the SP's routines are after pitching, perhaps they see a trainer, soak their arm, stretch out, etc. Prince needs to worry about his ABs, and 1b, not where Parra is.

And when he perceived Manny of challenging him, and swinging at him with a coat, which is tantamount to spitting, he flew off the rails a bit.

I can't believe that Parra is the type of dude that would whip a jacket in someone's face or spit on them, I suspect Prince feels that way as well. Prince lost his cool for no good reason, simple as that.

Parra needs to know that this is a pennant race and every start counts. 6 runs in 6 innings to the Reds in unacceptable.

I don't think for a second that Parra needs Prince to point out that he pitched a less than stellar game.

I'm sure most of you if you have lived with your good friends have had a blow up here and there and managed to still be friends10 minutes later.

I have gone my entire adult life without getting physical with my friends, Parra and Prince don't need to be friends, they need to be working together to win ballgames.

Hopefully he mans up, apologizes in front of the entire team, and takes a hurtin' in the wallet.

Yeah, I'd rather see a fine than a suspension.

I'm really amazed that Ned didn't even get up during the entire altercation. I'm not saying that he needed to read the riot act to Prince right then and there, but I can't fathom him just sitting there, a few away, while everyone else was up and intervening. And his comments after the game were horrible, even for him. Sure, you're going to downplay the significance of the scuffle -- I have no problem with that -- but he seemed annoyed that anyone would have the audacity to even ask him about it. (Dude, you had a fight in your dugout that involved one of your two highest profile players, and it was all over ESPN about 10 minutes after it happened. People are going to ask. Just say, "These are competitive guys, and they're going to show fire sometimes, blah, blah, blah.")

I don't think this is necessarily the end of the world, and I haven't soured on Prince completely because of it (although I do think he's an idiot who deserves to be suspended for a game). But I'm not going to go so far as to say that "maybe this will be a good thing for the team," either. I don't think guys are suddenly going to start hitting w/RISP because Prince shoved Manny.

I have no problem with what Prince said to Manny.

Parra has a long history of injury. The 1st thing he should do when he's done pitching is get showered and iced. No exceptions. Also, Prince has no business describing Parra's pitching with an expletive.

Prince is Milton Bradly and Carl Everett. The only difference is those guys aren't grossly overweight and to the best of my knowleadge pay there taxes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Mike and Mike ripping Yost's postgame comments about "keeping in the family" and :neighbor" comments.

We are finally getting some national pub!

I was just coming to post the same thing. They said they're going to give him the benefit of the doubt and that they hope he didn't really mean what he said but clearly they don't know Yost like we do. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I was just coming to post the same thing. They said they're going to give him the benefit of the doubt and that they hope he didn't really mean what he said but clearly they don't know Yost like we do. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The sooner the national press picks up on how much of an idiot Yost is, the better. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Wow I didn't know this was Ned's fault. Ned protects his players and posters and wssp know this. What did you expect? Ned was going to rip a player? He has never done that. Big deal how he phrased it anyone surprised that Ned wasn't going to expand on this is not aware of how Ned handles his players. Ned believes in privacy and keeps things in house.

Yeah, Mike Greenberg even teased with it before the commercial break. He said it was probably the stupidest thing a coach or a manager will say this year. After the break, after disclaiming that MAYBE Ned's media scolding didn't come out as he may have meant it, he said that the media asking a question about an altercation, captured and broadcast on every sports outlet across the country was at a minimum, worth addressing. Greenie went on to note that Ned's reaction to the media, calling reporters "rude" for even daring to ask about the physical confrontation, shows that he's not in step with what's going on around him.

Regardless of how many times bad things happen under him, nothing's ever a big deal. 2005's collapse, with Houston staging their charge was nothing to worry about. Last year, we were "still in first place." Now, this year, it's even rude to ask about the latest embarrassment under his watch.

I wonder if someone will ask DOUG whether it's rude to even ask about this altercation.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I can't believe everyone is giving Manny Parra a pass on this.

There are plenty of pitchers that watch the entire game, not go pout in the clubhouse. Get your ice and sit on the bench. Sheets does it, so does Suppan, even Bush does it and he's watching a lot of innings after he comes out.

Yes, Prince overreacted and was out of line, especially shove #2, but Parra has to be a team player too, not a child going to cry in the locker room because he fell apart.

The thing that struck me while watching the video is how Prince just couldn't control himself. Seeing TH's most recent quote, Prince just got done yelling at Manny. We don't know if Manny said anything back. Then they walk together halfway across the dugout. Was Prince waiting for Manny to say something back? You can see the whole time they are walking, Manny doesn't open his mouth. Manny lets out his frustration by doing something with his jacket. I don't know what his intentions were, but I am POSITIVE they were not to hit Price with it. But Prince was right there, probably waiting for something to set him off. A jacket to the face, a comment from Parra, anything. He got it, and he went off. As others have said, it wasn't a quick shove, he truly went after Manny. Others have called it a shoving match, which is completely untrue. Manny did no shoving, and Prince did more than just shoving. The big unknown in my mind is, what would Prince have done if there weren't 3-4 guys there to hold him back? Does anyone think that he just would have maybe shoved him one more time and kept yelling at him? Everyone can see how fired up he was, and I think the outcome would have been much worse if the other players didn't step in and put a stop to it. I don't know how Price could allow himself to get that out of control.

I can't believe everyone is giving Manny Parra a pass on this.

There are plenty of pitchers that watch the entire game, not go pout in the clubhouse. Get your ice and sit on the bench. Sheets does it, so does Suppan, even Bush does it and he's watching a lot of innings after he comes out.

Yes, Prince overreacted and was out of line, especially shove #2, but Parra has to be a team player too, not a child going to cry in the locker room because he fell apart.

Parra is essentially a rookie, and he has to learn the ropes. That's why he gets a little more slack than Prince in my mind. Maybe he has done this before and Price had enough, we don't know. The Baseball Tonight guys made good points that it really should have been the pitching coach or one of the other starters who should have pulled Parra aside and let him know that is the wrong way to handle it.

Manny was upset. He went from pitching a gem to getting lit up over 2 innings time. If he needs to go into the clubhouse to gain some composure for half an inning thats A-OK with me.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

It's also interesting to compare Yost's comments to those of John Fox after the Steve Smith fight. The training camp brawl actually was somewhat more "private" than what transpired between Manny and Price: it wasn't during a game, and it wasn't captured on video and rebroadcast 9 million times. But Fox, to his credit, suspended Smith (arguably the best player on his roster?) and publicly said: "What he did was wrong. We take it very seriously. He's being punished severely. ... It's an act that's inexcusable and it can't happen."

I hate to fall into the trap of making everything about Yost; this incident was basically Prince's fault, not Ned's. But Ned's handling of this is inexplicable to me. I'm sorry, but there are times when you do have to call out players publicly -- not for missing a bunt sign or failing to run out a grounder or wearing your hair too long, but for doing something that crosses the line of serious misconduct. What Prince did clearly falls into that category. He assaulted a teammate during a game, for god's sake. This isn't the crime of the century, by any stretch, but it does merit some kind of public condemnation from the perpetrator's boss.

It's apparent that heads will clash through out the season. But the fact is, this was extremely public, and embarrassing. And, at least to me, show that Ned has lost control of the team. How many times have these explosions happened behind doors before they trickle out in public?

It's embarassing, and now instead of focusing on making a run for the Division or WC, we have to deal with a stupid fight.

It's embarassing, and now instead of focusing on making a run for the Division or WC, we have to deal with a stupid fight.

Not to mention, it only makes it easier for the Wisconsin media to focus on football, and for a lot of fans to make the same mental switch.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived