Brewer Fanatic

The Dugout Fight (video on Brewers.com)

TooLiveBrew

Here's what they said

By Tom Haudricourt
Monday, Aug 4 2008, 10:25 PM

Cincinnati - Prince Fielder wasn't talking afterward and Manny Parra said very little but here's what others had to say, plus some details about what probably set off the fight between Parra and Fielder in the seventh inning of the game tonight between the Brewers and Reds at Great American Ball Park:

The altercation came almost a year to the day after a dugout altercation involving Ned Yost and a couple of players at Miller Park.

Afterward, as expected, the combatants refused to discuss the details of the incident. Parra danced around the subject, saying "it's already been taken care of," and Fielder sent word through a club spokesman that he wouldn't talk about it.

It was last Aug. 2 of last season that Yost became involved in a dugout dispute with catcher Johnny Estrada and infielder Tony Graffanino, neither of whom are with the team this year. Yost at the time downplayed the incident and said it was nobody's business, a refrain he repeated this time around.

"It's not a big deal," said Yost. "For eight months a year, we're a family. At times things happen, flare up, but it's between the family. It's in the family.

"It's a little bit rude when your neighbors are fighting next-door for you to go knock on the door and ask what happened. We handle it ourselves. It's between us and it's nobody's business. But it wasn't that big a deal."

Cameras caught Fielder and Parra engaged in a discussion near the tunnel that leads from the clubhouse to the dugout. Fielder was talking to Parra and gesturing with his right arm to the field.

Parra, who surrendered six runs in six innings, had just been lifted from the game for a pinch-hitter. Someone who overheard parts of the conversation said Parra apparently was headed back to the clubhouse and an agitated Fielder told him he should remain in the dugout to watch the Brewers bat that inning.

Parra snatched up his cap and jacket from the bench and was walking toward the other end, side-by-side with Fielder when the 270-pound first baseman suddenly turned and forcefully pushed Parra onto the bench. Fielder then lunged at Parra again and shoved him hard with both arms.

At that point, several players, including Bill Hall, Ray Durham, Dave Bush and Ryan Braun, with pitching coach Mike Maddux also intervening, jumped in, grabbed Fielder and pushed him to the dugout floor.

Though the sight of Fielder physically attacking the unsuspecting Parra ws shocking, Braun said it was not considered a major incident by the players.

"You spend a lot of time with people, on and off the field, you're going to have arguments, get in fights," said Braun. "Sometimes you need that emotion and passion to break up the monotony. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

"It could be a bad thing if half the guys side with one person and half the guys side with the other. But I think everybody looks at it as a minor incident. It's unfortunate that it happened in front of the cameras because I'm sure the media will make it into more than what it was. Things like that happen over the course of the season.

"It does look bad. I agree. I completely understand how it looks. But things like that happen over the course of the season. I really don't view it as a negative. I'm sure they'll hate each other for a couple of days, then get over it and be friends soon enough."

Fielder has admitted many times in the past that he has a temper but he also is considered a central part of the club, on and off the field. Players often talk about the chemistry within the clubhouse and veteran infielder Craig Counsell said he didn't expect that to be altered by the incident.

"You never want stuff like that to happen," said Counsell. "But who cares? We lost tonight. That's the worst thing that happened.

"It's forgotten when we come here tomorrow. We've got to win the game tomorrow. All your focus is trying to win the game tomorrow. It's not surprising. We're all competing and trying real hard. It's going to happen.

"You know there's not a problem in this clubhouse. You know that. We have tempers. We're humans. There's a bad side to everybody. It happens but we're going to move on."

Yost, who almost certainly will discipline Fielder for attacking a teammate, also said the matter will be forgotten when the Brewers report to the ball park today. And he again insisted no one should make a big deal of it.

"There' a privacy issue here somewhere," said Yost. "Just because it's on TV doesn't make it anybody's right to know what happened. It's between us.

"If you want to know what happened, what transpired blow by blow, or what words were said, I'm sorry. You're not going to know. It's private. It's between us and it's not a big deal. It's not the first time it happened and it won't be the last.

"It's what happens. It makes teams better. It's not a problem. It's nobody's business."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/08/04/here-s-what-they-said.aspx

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me it was the 2nd push to the face that really got under my skin. I understand, but do not condone, the 1st push. That was an emotional reaction or overreaction. But after that, it took thought to continue and go after Parra a 2nd time. In my opinion, Prince is in the wrong here.

I see the Ned/Graffanino/Estrada thing being a bigger deal than this. That showed frustration with the manager and the way he was treating younger players. This was most likely the result of frustration from playing like garbage for a week and Prince missing a couple plays he should've made. Prince definitely overreacted, but I'm not about to call this the point where the season goes down the toilet. I'm not about to say he should sit for the rest of the series, either -- he's been the only Brewer consistently hitting over the past week and willingly taking him out of the lineup would be forfeiting the rest of the series. Lock Prince and Manny in the same room until they get things sorted out, have Prince apologize to the team in a closed door meeting, whatever...just show up to play again tomorrow after clearing the air.

It's a shame this had to happen on camera, though, especially when ESPN's game tonight was in a tornado warning delay and they had nothing else to talk about. Now every game the team plays for the next week is going to be over-analyzed and given the "they must be responding to that fight in Cincinnati!" spin.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

At that point Manny swung his coat in disgust and it appeared that on his follow through, part of his coat hit Prince in the face, which then set him off. In fact prince immediately reacted after you see Manny throw his coat in disgust.

Back and to the left...back, and to the left...

It did appear the jacket and Prince were both outside of the camera view.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I liked it. About time someone showed some real emotion on this team. I was sort of hoping they'd brawl with another team but this is the next best thing.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I love the quotes from Braun and Counsell.

It will be interesting to see if the Fielder discipline will result in a sitting, or if it will be entirely behind doors. Clearly the Brewers goal is to win games, and if indeed this is just an isolated blowup and not indicative of a bigger issue, sitting Prince isn't going to help the Brewers chances.

Now every game the team plays for the next week is going to be over-analyzed and given the "they must be responding to that fight in Cincinnati!" spin.

I would actually be ok with that as it would mean the Brewers were winning (assuming they respond positively).

I liked it. About time someone showed some real emotion on this team. I was sort of hoping they'd brawl with another team but this is the next best thing.

Emotion hasn't been lacking. Guys slamming bats, throwing at other batters, getting tossed...what they need is to control their emotions and start executing to the best of their abilities. Having better approaches at the plate, not making dumb base running mistakes and not walking crappy hitters with two outs or serving up meatballs to .200 hitters.

I know they care, they care a great deal and they work hard as well. They are young and often emotional. They need to set these things aside and just play the game.

This type of situation just makes me sad to be a Brewers fan. I don't see anything good coming out of this, and it seems like it's pretty indicative that there are some pretty serious issues going on with this team that we don't know a whole lot about. Hopefully, everybody in the organization takes a good long look in the mirror and realize what the real problem is. Ned Yost needs to go.

Durham had no problem going in and restraining Fielder.

Surprised no one else has mentioned this. I was happy with how Braun and JJ reacted, but Durham basically tackled him. I respect Durham a lot for that. He hasn't been here that long and he isn't that big but he was right there.

Arguing and yelling is one thing, those things happen, attacking your starting pitcher is boneheaded. I'm sure all will be well and I really doubt this has a lasting effect on the team at all. I'm still disgusted with Fielder though. Parra was sideways to him and defenseless. He could have twisted a knee, ankle, landed awkwardly on his wrist or elbow. It's idiotic and unacceptable.

I don't see anything good coming out of this, and it seems like it's pretty indicative that there are some pretty serious issues going on with this team that we don't know a whole lot about. Hopefully, everybody in the organization takes a good long look in the mirror and realize what the real problem is. Ned Yost needs to go

I couldn't disagree more. Pretty serious issues with the team because Prince acted like a moron? Don't think so..How on earth does this mean Yost has to go? I'm not exactly a Yost supporter but that's just ridiculous to me. The one thing I can blame him for is being a jerk to the reporters for asking about it, but so what?

For me it was the 2nd push to the face that really got under my skin. I understand, but do not condone, the 1st push. That was an emotional reaction or overreaction. But after that, it took thought to continue and go after Parra a 2nd time. In my opinion, Prince is in the wrong here.

I kind of agree. The second push was magnitudes more out of line. Overall I agree with the players and it isn't a big deal. I've been on competitive teams and things have gotten tight and fights happen. No one is proud of them but you always put it past you real fast and oddly in all my experiences it has always brought the team closer together. Its like a big emotion rush is let out by a lot of guys and you bond off it. It's the whole alpha thing when you're in a pack...

Braun's comments are really impressive. His maturity and professionalism so early in his career are admirable.

And I agree with Prince (his apparent words, not his actions): a pitcher should watch his team bat and cheer for them before going to the clubhouse. Especially a young guy like Parra.

Yeah, another 'agree' here. Couple that with the fact that it only got to two shoves due to Fielder being tackled by 2 or 3 team members... ugh. Southpaw makes a great point -- Parra landed on his left side. Could have been a lot worse, and with a more disgusting twist of fate...

"We lost tonight. That's the worst thing that happened.

might not have been the worst thing that happened.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Ahh, this is just Prince being Prince. This and all the angry bat breaking may be the beginning of something special for this young man. He needs millions of dollars like Ned needs more coffee. Learn some control big guy.

I agree with the theory that this fight started because Manny inadvertently hit Prince with his coat. That's what I was coming here to post after just seeing this for the first time. Prince lost his temper, as he is prone to do, and I think more than anything its indicative of the frustration that this team is clearly feeling. I doubt this will be season changing event, however, it will fit nicely into any narrative one wants to use. I've been traveling and haven't seen many games the last week or so, but I'd guess this is more a result of crashing after the high of the successful Giants/Cards swing.
You may run like Mays...

Maybe this just helps Boras in making the case that Prince simply needs a "change of scenery and a manager who understands him." If he keeps acting out, at least the "getting out of town" part should be simple. But would John Russell or Tony La Russa take him? Maybe with required anger management classes and an unlimited prescription drug budget...

In the end this probably won't be a big deal, since no one was hurt, but it is embarassing. Fielder needs to control himself more, especially when it comes to attacking teamates. I like Fielder, even though he won't be a Brewer long term, but this is dissappointing.

I follow two teams closely, the Brewers and Packers. The main story with the Brewers is this fight and the Packers have Farve. Ahhhhhhh.

fact is that Fielder was due for a meltdown. This will be a re-occurring theme for the rest of his career I think. It's not that he isn't a good guy, I think he probably is. But... he has a temper, he wants to suceed.. and he's a little bit of a hothead in bad times. What should Ned do? Nothing on the field. I say you embarrass the guy somehow, bring him back down to earth. Maybe Have Prince wrestle a greased pig in the lockerroom or something........

Seriously, this isn't a big deal. Parra was firmly planted on the bench after the shoving. Although it looked like he was going there anyhow...... but yeah, it looked like he was pissed at himself and Prince for talking to him.. which is understandable. The guy gave up 6 runs on 4 freakin hits... that sucks.

As for what this will do for the team. It will only help this team. This team is a bunch of fighters anyhow. Anything to take their minds off of striking out alot is a good thing IMO.

Why do people suddenly hate the guy and want him off the team? Because he hasn't been as productive as last year (still a top producer on the team)? Give the guy a break and learn to be a fan. Fans don't just ditch a player when he's down. Fans follow a player and support them. I'm not trying to tell people how to act but have some empathy for the guy. He's obviously frustrated. He plays with a lot of pride and its taken a bit of a beating so far this year.

I don't think we've seen his best baseball yet.

If this really was about getting hit in the face with a little bit of a coat it is worse to me than if it started with a heated exchange about Prince not getting to a ball or something to that affect. At least the second one would be a man defending his abilities, albeit in a way too extreme manner. If it really about getting hit in the face with a jacket than it is ridiculous over-reaction that makes no sense to me.

I would like to see Prince sat one game. I don't think it needs to be too much but just something to say this isn't okay, even if the team is saying it is not a big deal. I was impressed with the way some of the guys stepped in.

After thinking about this for awhile, I am really disappointed in Prince. I realize he wants to be the leader of this team and show his emotions, but to "attack" (probably not the best word) another teammate especially a pitcher is not the right way to do it. I can imagine Prince is frustrated, but he needs to get ahold of his emotions.

Most people think this is going to unite the team, but I doubt that happens here. I really hope it will, but with a young team albeit a good amount of veterans, I don't know how they are going to react.

There's simply no reason to Prince to react like that.

The Brewers lack of discipline and professionalism at the plate has evidently overflowed into the dugout.

While I don't like Yost at all, I kinda agree with him; it's nobody's business. You can ask, but if you seriously expect an answer you're pretty naive.

So many over reactions here. I can't how many times there was a fight in a high school practice for football or baseball that I was in. Something happens and you over react to it this happens a lot. The people who usually start an altercation are the ones who are the more competitive players on the team.

I don't see this as a big deal at all it is nothing really. It was just a push if Prince actually threw a punch then I would be more concerned about the situation.

Archived