Brewer Fanatic

The Dugout Fight (video on Brewers.com)

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also in the camp that Manny must have said something about Prince being "fat" and not being able to get to that ground ball and Prince blew a gasket. This is what I told my dad right after it happened. I think that Prince does deserve a day or two of "rest"

Prince is starting to really show that he does have some anger issues though.

i think it's a big deal becuase of the violent nature of the incident. He shoved him while manny was totally off guard. I understand that tempers are going to flare throughout the season, but the way he attacked was flat out scary. Its not ok just because Manny wasn't hurt. Prince has serious anger issues.

That is a good point. I think people feel that it is a big deal because of how scary Prince looked. I mean he had the look of a man that could kill in his eyes. Manny had no idea it was coming and then that second shove to the face was just out of control.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Meh, *shrug* I have a hard time getting to excited about this. I think Prince overreacted, but I doubt anything comes of it. I am not surprised that we got nothing in interviews out of either Yost or anybody else. We heard about the same thing with the incident last year. Did anybody really expect anything other than "none of your business."

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My take: I'm most disgusted with Yost's comments after the game. It's ok to say it's a clubhouse matter and "no comment", but to pull out this bogus La Russa-esque "don't question the family" stuff. Uncalled for...truly one of Ned's most grating qualities.

Prince needs to control himself. What he did was unacceptable and frankly, he has been part of this team's struggles.

However, this thread has seen a lot of Prince bashing. At some point leaders have to call out guys that aren't playing up to their capabilites. Parra was cruising, hits a little adversity and starts walking guys and serving up meatballs. The guy has to keep his focus and make the pitches he is capable of making in those situations. On that pitch to Bruce, his body language looked like he was frustrated and had given up. I don't condone the way Prince handled it at all...but there is a lot at stake for this team to have a letdown like Parra had tonight.

The entire fight is up now on Brewers.com...

Good for them? Seems like that'd be the one site that wouldn't want to propagate this. Strange.

Something to do with Yost's attitude in the interviews maybe?

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Notice tomorrow's pitcher was the person at the bottom of the heap when Prince got pushed back. Does anyone really think that the Brewers organization would actually disclose it to the media if Bush or anyone else was injured in the chaos??

Can we change the name of this thread to "The Overreaction Thread"? Bill Schroeder said himself that this won't be a factor in the Brewers success this year

please do not ever imply that schroeder can be right, you know just as much if not more than him...

a couple thoughts, to say this is not a big deal is ridiculous, but to say we need to get rid of fielder is also ridiculous...

it is a shame this had to happen, but it is not like the season is over or anything...

it just bothers me that fielder keeps doing this, and it is seen as ok...last year, he called out the fans for booing too much, which wasn't even wrong, but it shouldn't have been said, it is scary that if the brewers ever do get in a brawl with another team, it could be horrible, and i don't want to see that...he has been slamming things around for a while, and he can't keep his mouth shut, it is getting annoying...

Sometimes 'making the pitch' isn't enough -- he threw a change 3-2 to Cabrera that was probably a strike (at least a similar distance 'outside' to a FB that was called a strike on the Brewers in the next half-inning). This kind of 'unraveling' happens to nearly every pitcher from time to time when they reach 100 pitches or so. Plus, don't forget that Manny is nearing uncharted territory in terms of IP.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If this is the incident that winds up being where the wheels fall of the wagon, it's going to be a long couple of months. I hope that's not the case, but it's hard to be optimistic as a Brewers fan right now. Hopefully this thing somehow galvanizes the team to start playing better.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm guessing it had something to do with Prince not getting to the ground ball that Votto hit with 2 out in the 5th. I'm not saying it was a routine play, but Manny looked awful peeved after that play. Maybe he brought it up to someone and Prince overheard it and took exception.

I agree. Remember, in Parra's last start against the Cubs, Prince dropped an easy throw from Jason Kendall after a Parra wild pitch that kept the first inning going and allowed the Cubs to score their first run. Parra ended up throwing 10-15 pitches more than he had to because of that play, which wasn't ruled an error, and I remember that play distinctly because I felt even at the time such a small mistake could have a lasting effect on the rest of the game.

Plus, I also remember Parra looking a little frustrated then, even though the guy doesn't seem to show much emotion. Basically, I'm sure he made some smart comment to Fielder tonight, which obviously doesn't justify what Fielder did, but I think it does show how wound up this team is right now.

I do actually believe that it isn't really that big of a deal. What I take out of this is a feeling that Braun and JJ are two true leaders on the team. Braun was one of the people initially helping hold back Prince, and looked like he was the first to approach Manny after the incident as well. I was impressed with JJ letting Prince know what he thought of the whole thing as well. I'm not a lip reader, but it looked as though he was saying "What the ____ are you doing?"

I don't believe that it's a good thing for the team overall, but maybe it does actually help get some players fired up or at least puts their recent struggles in perspective.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

If this team ends up missing the playoffs, this will probably be looked at as the beginning of the end. Even though i'd argue that Yost giving away the final game of the houston series being the turning point.

Wisconsin sports news all over espn and none of it good. Yikes, rough times right now.

If this is the incident that winds up being where the wheels fall of the wagon, it's going to be a long couple of months. I hope that's not the case, but it's hard to be optimistic as a Brewers fan right now. Hopefully this thing somehow galvanizes the team to start playing better.

Ever had a pretty bad fight with a buudy, and like 45 minutes later, you're best friends again? Not saying is the case, but guys are pretty resilient when it comes to amped up disagreements (except for maybe politics). My guess it that tomorrow there's not even a whiff of dischord. Now, i'm not really buying into this ultimately "helping" the team, but I suppose that's a way to look at it.

I actually (buh?) believe Bill Schroeder here where he says the fans and the media make too much of this. I'm sure there's a scuffle behind closed doors at times that we're not privy to.

colbyjack wrote:

I agree. Remember, in Parra's last start against the Cubs, Prince dropped an easy throw from Jason Kendall after a Parra wild pitch that kept the first inning going and allowed the Cubs to score their first run.

Well done, I'll bet this incident had something to do with that play.

Prince is allegedly a team leader. We don't know the story behind why this happened, but even if Manny said something about Prince's mother, you don't do that as a team leader. I don't know if the Brewers should be looking this winter for deals for him, but I definitely struggle to call him a team leader. You don't attack your own teammates. I also put a bit of this on Yost, as a manager, you have to see this coming and head it off, if you're paying attention, or it seems you have no control of your team. And does Ned have control of this team?

Archived