Brewer Fanatic

The Dugout Fight (video on Brewers.com)

TooLiveBrew
Just like BA Barracus was the leader of the A-Team.
I thought BA was the enforcer. Hannibal was the leader, because he came up with the plans. So, if Prince is the BA Baracus of the Brewers, is Ned the Hannibal? Is Braun Face? Or Kendall?

Edit: I can see it now.....

Prince: "I, you know, pity the, you know, fool, you know, you know, who, you know, disrespects, you know, Prince, you know."

Ned: "I need more coffee"

Kendall: "I have a plan"

Braun: "Does my hair look OK?" (Just kidding on that one)

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, as someone mentioned, BA Baracus was hardly the leader of the A Team. Silly, wrong, comparison.

And since you brought it up, just because you're 5'9" and fat as hell doesn't make you some kind of MMA tough guy. Maybe Fielder could beat up Manny Parra. Maybe not. Maybe Gabe Kapler or Corey Hart is the baddest dude in the Brewers clubhouse, we don't know. Fat does not equal bad ass.

Bottom line, it was stupid. If Elijah Dukes or Milton Bradley had done it, there would be outrage. In my eyes he's less of a man because of it (except in the belly), not some muscle enforcer the Brewers count on.

So, if Prince is the BA Baracus of the Brewers, is Ned the Hannibal? Is Braun Face? Or Kendall?

That 'scene' had me doubled over... very funny. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Braun as Face... genius.

If Elijah Dukes or Milton Bradley had done it, there would be outrage. In my eyes he's less of a man because of it (except in the belly), not some muscle enforcer the Brewers count on.

I agree. This was not some 'well, somebody had to do it' kind of player reprimand. This was flat-out assault, and if that happened to someone in a bar/on the street, charges rightfully could have been pressed.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

And since you brought it up, just because you're 5'9" and fat as hell doesn't make you some kind of MMA tough guy. Maybe Fielder could beat up Manny Parra. Maybe not. Maybe Gabe Kapler or Corey Hart is the baddest dude in the Brewers clubhouse, we don't know. Fat does not equal bad ass.

I think what Fielder did was completely wrong but the guy is naturally silly strong, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take straw man Hart, straight up. Kapler would be too busy kissing his pecs to fight anyone.

TooLiveBrew, I love ya man but you're flat out trolling. Are you a lawyer? Is it really flat out assault? Was it as random as you paint it? Charges? Are you serious? Dude, I would love to see a judge have his time wasted with a plaintiff pressing "pushing" charges. Get real, friend.

TooLiveBrew, I love ya man but you're flat out trolling. Are you a lawyer? Is it really flat out assault? Was it as random as you paint it? Charges? Are you serious? Dude, I would love to see a judge have his time wasted with a plaintiff pressing "pushing" charges. Get real, friend.

Yes, technically, it was assault. One standard legal definition (not from Ohio code, but I'm sure it's in the ballpark) is that assault happens "when one person tries to physically harm another in a way that makes the person under attack feel immediately threatened."

Of course, no prosecutor would waste time and money pursuing a brief shoving match when they are more substantive crimes out there to worry about -- murders, rapes, drug deals. However, what if Manny had fallen backward after getting shoved and cracked his head open? Or wrenched his knee? Then we very well could have seen criminal charges, or even a civil suit filed by Manny. (Had he been injured, the latter would have been fairly easy for him to win, given that the whole thing was caught on tape and Prince obviously was the aggressor.)

I'm not saying that Prince should have been prosecuted for what he did -- that seems like a stretch -- but rather just pointing out some possibilities.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No way in a million years would there be criminal charges unless Parra died or became paralyzed.....and even then it wouldn't be a sure thing.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If something like this happened in a public place or private home and the police were called, I'd guess that a disorderly conduct ticket might result. However, even outside the ballpark, I'd guess that the huge majority of the time, the police wouldn't be called, and the situation would be handled by whoever was present just like this one.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If something like this happened in a public place or private home and the police were called, I'd guess that a disorderly conduct ticket might result. However, even outside the ballpark, I'd guess that the huge majority of the time, the police wouldn't be called, and the situation would be handled by whoever was present just like this one.

I believe they would be called. In fact I was watching one of those Beach Patrol shows a couple of days ago and a guy was going to get arrested for pushing his girlfriend down to the ground. She ended up being arrested after it was found out that she punched him 10-15 times in the face, but anyways, I know you could say it's a different situation with a guy pushing down his girlfriend but still, he was going to be arrested for that. I would have to imagine if people saw this in public they would probably call the police and at least a ticket would be issued with the possibility of arrest.

Yes, he's right. It was an assault and battery. Defined differently in diff. states, but a battery generally occurs when you actually touch someone in an "offensive" way. This would clearly qualify. Generally speaking, assault doesn't require that you actually touch someone.

Having said that, most cops/prosecutors would not waste their time with this. But if you did what Prince did, on the street in front of an overzealous cop ... yes, you could be arrested for assault and battery.

TooLiveBrew, I love ya man but you're flat out trolling. Are you a lawyer? Is it really flat out assault? Was it as random as you paint it? Charges? Are you serious? Dude, I would love to see a judge have his time wasted with a plaintiff pressing "pushing" charges. Get real, friend

That's trolling? Ok. Fielder had to be restrained by 2 or 3 teammates, and that's the only reason it didn't escalate further, and into more physical harm. This wasn't just 'pushing'... not to mention that you conveniently 'forget' to mention every time that he went after Parra's face & head as well.

I'm not saying that Prince should have been prosecuted for what he did -- that seems like a stretch -- but rather just pointing out some possibilities

This is all I'm saying. I think you projected some meaning onto my post, banana, and perhaps I could have been more clear. 'Get real', though? Ironically, you're in the vast minority here that feels what Prince did was 'what needed to be done'

My point was, *if* charges were filed, it was assault. I'd find it incredibly unlikely for that to happen, and if I were in Parra's situation, I certainly wouldn't have done so (even if it wasn't MLB... another workplace dispute)...

However, even outside the ballpark, I'd guess that the huge majority of the time, the police wouldn't be called, and the situation would be handled by whoever was present just like this one.

This is what I mean. Maybe not a huge majority of the time, maybe so, but I agree with the spirit of Casey's post.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Parra was acting against a team custom and being a baby about it. He had a couple bad innings and was pouting and was thinking of himself, not the team. He was thinking of himself only.

The only thing I don't like about this at this point, is people calling out Manny's character when we really don't know what Manny did or didn't do. We don't know what was said -- but we do know what Prince's actions were. Prince apologized and that makes it a done deal, but it is entirely unfair to classify Parra as a baby.

I guess when Bon Jovi sang the song Lay Your Hands on Me, he wasn't referring to the likes of Prince Fielder.

I do admire Parra for showing so much self-restraint and coolness. He didn't retaliate or even mouth off at Prince despite being harassed, shoved and yelled at by that lunatic. Just sat there silently and calmly, rational and at peace, he really turned the other cheek.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Undefeated since this incident.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I want Prince gone. Unacceptable. Just ridiculous.
I wonder if this opinion still exists.

I think Prince should sit for the series. Cool off a bit.
I don't think that would have been smart
Typical Yost in this presser. "Not a big deal."
Yost was right. This wasn't a big deal.

Just some food for thought.

I wonder if this opinion still exists.

My opinion of Prince and what he did to Parra hasn't changed one bit because the Brewers swept the Nats.

Yost was right. This wasn't a big deal.

It was a big deal, Parra getting shoved and tossed around in dugout with Prince being restrained, is a big deal. Thankfully the Brewers were able to get past the issue and continue to win games, but beating the Nats does not make what happened trivial.

Just some food for thought.

Here is my thought. I see the mods brag in chat and threads about how many applications they turn down for this site. I wonder what percentage of those people would bait less, and not cause threads to get locked than you do?

IBTL!

I don't know that the mods brag; it's kind of sad that applicants don't follow a simple set of directions. And it's also sad that current members' ability to do the same is the reason Brewerfan has become so tough on applicants.

At any rate, I don't think there's anything else that can be added to this thread that's worth saying.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived