Brewer Fanatic

The Dugout Fight (video on Brewers.com)

TooLiveBrew
Well said Diskono. What is it going to take for the angry kid to kill someone on the field? Getting plunked after a Braun homer? Getting heckled by a fan too close to him in the batting circle? This kid (I can't call him a man) is not even close to being long-term contract material...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go off too. I'd probably feel bad about it once I found out the jacket to the face was completely unintentional, but in the heat of the moment I would have gotten all stupid. I'm not proud of it, just somewhat self aware

Yeah, I can admit to this too. I'd feel incredibly bad, and like a jag.

I can't see how being flicked by the corner of a jacket is worthy of flipping out. Maybe if the jacket has spikes on it or something, but otherwise it doesn't strike me as something that would hurt a lot.

A zipper might smart a bit, but you'd think if he were hurt, just instinctively/reactive-ly, he'd have flinched or put his hand to his own face.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So, I completely disagree that getting hit with the jacket had anything to do with anything. I didn't even notice the jacket, but even if it is true, I don't think it had anything to do with it. I'm of the camp that thinks that Prince wanted Parra to stay out there and when it became obvious he wasn't, Prince basically made him.

I'm also with the people who think this was completely unacceptable. He is not some middle or high schooler. He is a professional athlete and should be held to a much higher standard. People who compare this with scuffels from when they've played on teams is a little odd unless they've played as a professional and were paid to play. They are supposed to be role models. I don't care what was said, you don't resort to violence with your own team when you're supposed to be a professional.

I'm of the camp that thinks that Prince wanted Parra to stay out there and when it became obvious he wasn't, Prince basically made him.

At no point in the whole process was that obvious.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

At no point in the whole process was that obvious.

I guess I'm assuming that's what Prince was thinking when Manny grabbed his jacket. Now maybe not completely obvious, but given the context, and what people overheard, it makes sense to me.

He is a professional athlete and should be held to a much higher standard. People who compare this with scuffels from when they've played on teams is a little odd unless they've played as a professional and were paid to play. They are supposed to be role models. I don't care what was said, you don't resort to violence with your own team when you're supposed to be a professional.

Not baseball related... but a football story to share, take it for what it's worth, as an example of how professional football players police their own. A very good friend of mine played in the NFL and he tells a story about teammates getting out of line. Apparently an ultra talented rookie running back came into camp and was running his mouth about the established backs on the team and his teammates in general. My buddy was also a rookie coming in at the same time, but he was a converted tailback learning to play fullback. About halfway through camp a couple of the team leaders who happened to be Defensive players came up to him between practices (again my buddy was an offensive player) and basically gave him signals to tell them where the play was going, and made it clear that he was supposed to miss his blocking assignment. My buddy was hesitant because he really wanted to make the team and didn't want to do anything jeapordize his dream (for example the coaches thinking he's just a scrub who can't block), but in the end he went along with the scheme. Needless to say the running back got crunched 5 plays in a row, the coaches never said a word to my friend, and he ended up making the team while the running back didn't make it past the 2nd cut. Those 5 plays in a 7 on 7 drill basically were the first step out the door for one guy, and the other earned instant credibility with the veterans on the team cementing his place on the team.

In no way is the situation described above similar to the Parra/Fielder incident last night, but the post I quoted instantly brought back this story and I thought I'd share it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I really hope no one misunderstands my understanding of what happened as acceptance. If you read the 2nd paragraph of my original post, I definitely don't feel what he did was acceptable in any sense of the word.

Ned's next door neighbor analogy would have been good, had it had anything to do with what happened. What happened was more like if your neighbors come slamming into your yard pushing each other around. Yet again, Ned has no idea what to say to reporters after the game. He should just just give the old "no comment." At least that way he wouldn't come across as being a complete ass. I guess now we all know what happens at the Ned Yost household.

Fielder says he should have handled it better

my take on this is he's saying sorry without being sorry. but only my opinion

But he's not apologizing for his passion! Just the way it went down. Sorry Prince, but to be a leader, you have to act the part. Ryan Braun, J.J. Hardy and Ray Durham are more the leaders I want on the team than you.

I'm trying my best to not put this all on Fielder, but seriously Prince at least act like you are sorry it happened..

"Its not like we hate each other, at least i don't" oh that's refreshing. and why 2 hours before the game hasn't he talked to Manny yet?
If Manny said something to Prince about his defense I'll give him a little slack but if this indeed was about Manny going to the clubhouse it is beyond absurd that he blew up that way, and then offered a non-apology today

Just my personal take, but I find that often when people act like jerks, they refer to it as "being passionate". Contrary to what Yost said, I DO think that Prince has anger-management issues. I'm not saying he's a time-bomb or anything, but I guess if I had to work in close proximity to him, I'd be a bit uneasy, knowing there will always be a next "episode".

Ru rah rah - you just confused abotu 80% of the people here with your latin http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I agree with BTA on the jerk = passionate excuse although I do feel like he is a time-bomb...and I would not want to be anywhere close to him when he goes off next time as this was just a warm up IMO...

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Coming from Prince, that's actually quite a mea culpa.

From Wikipedia...

Mea culpa is a Latin phrase that translates into English as "my fault", or "my own fault". In order to emphasize the message, the adjective "maxima" may be inserted, resulting in "mea maxima culpa," which would translate as "my most [grievous] fault."

The really extraordinary part of all of this is Yost's ability to do the correct thing (no commenting the press) in a way that makes him look like a complete and total idiot (rude neighbors).

Maybe Ned intentionally made the comment in an attempt to deflect media attention away from Prince and onto his own stupidity.

it seemed like a really big deal during the top of the 8th tonight when (after bush had been pinch hit for by kapler) braun and bush were throwing a hand towel at prince and all three were laughing pretty hard about it.

it seemed like a really big deal during the top of the 8th tonight when (after bush had been pinch hit for by kapler) braun and bush were throwing a hand towel at prince and all three were laughing pretty hard about it.

I think Prince is fine, and most of the team is fine. I worry that Manny Parra isn't fine though.

Archived