Brewer Fanatic

Who are your favorite current Brewers?

logan82
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not trying to be a jerk here.....but honestly why is weeks on so many peoples favorite list? He doesn't do anything well....he makes my eyes bleed. Again.....it's all personal preference, just curiious as to why people like to "watch" Weeks.

1 Braun- slugger with a swagger and he signed long term

2 Sheets- really hope we keep him

3 Hardy- solid player that turns a mean double play

4 Weeks- I just love the physical tools and Im sticking it out with him

5 Gallardo- really miss him this year as he is a joy to watch pitch

As much as CC is great and all you cant be a favorite of mine when you have only been on the team for less than a month and will be gone after the year ends.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here.....but honestly why is weeks on so many peoples favorite list? He doesn't do anything well....he makes my eyes bleed. Again.....it's all personal preference, just curiious as to why people like to "watch" Weeks.

Power, speed, athleticism, plate discipline ... He's a legitimate 5-tool player, despite the fact that he's yet to put it together. I truly believe he's the most all-around talented player on the roster, despite the results.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not trying to be a jerk here.....but honestly why is weeks on so many peoples favorite list? He doesn't do anything well....he makes my eyes bleed. Again.....it's all personal preference, just curious as to why people like to "watch" Weeks.

I think those of us who watched him as he moved thru the minors saw things that haven't come out, or haven't come out consistently, since he's been in Milwaukee.

I saw Weeks play probably 20 games before he got to Milwaukee, and at each stop he was a man among boys. Even when he played in Huntsville and struggled, you could tell he had all the tools to be a successful major league player. And while he was in Nashville, one could argue he was better than Fielder was at the time.

Obviously things haven't gone as well for Weeks here in Milwaukee. But I still have hopes that he'll turn into the player I saw in the minors.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

For me, it's a few things. Excellent plate discipline, immense power ability, very good base stealer and huge potential to put up elite numbers and a low-offense position. Yes, I can use potential because he's still 25 and it's apparent that he has a ton of ability. I understand people getting frustrated with results, and I'm not defending that... Just saying why I like him personally.

Power, speed, athleticism, plate discipline ... He's a legitimate 5-tool player, despite the fact that he's yet to put it together. I truly believe he's the most all-around talented player on the roster, despite the results.

I agree with what you're saying Brian, but how do we know he has these 5 tools? Because he's shown flashes or scouts have said so? I tend to think his 5-tools were more or less projected tools and really aren't there as scouts have been saying. He has speed and athleticism, but I'm not sold on everything else since it's nowhere near consistent.

I agree with what you're saying Brian, but how do we know he has these 5 tools? Because he's shown flashes or scouts have said so? I tend to think his 5-tools were more or less projected tools and really aren't there as scouts have been saying. He has speed and athleticism, but I'm not sold on everything else since it's nowhere near consistent.

I've seen them personally at every level in the minors.

I've seen them personally at every level in the minors.

Fair enough. I personally have never thought Weeks projected to be a power hitter (in terms of home runs) because he just isn't consistent. Does week have the potential to be a big home run hitter? Of course he does, but I don't know if he ever has shown he's capable of doing over a period of time. I guess it's a moot point to debate this. It's kind of like if a tree falls and no one is there does it make a sound type of thing.

Fair enough. I personally have never thought Weeks projected to be a power hitter (in terms of home runs) because he just isn't consistent. Does week have the potential to be a big home run hitter? Of course he does, but I don't know if he ever has shown he's capable of doing over a period of time. I guess it's a moot point to debate this. It's kind of like if a tree falls and no one is there does it make a sound type of thing.

He's got plus-power, but you're sort of a different hitter when you're a leadoff hitter. That's one of my problems with Rickie... Sometimes, it seems like he's up there trying to take a walk, instead of looking for a good pitch to hit. Walks will come as a by-product of not swinging at junk. I also believe some of his power has been negated that injuries that he's dealt with up to this point. I don't think he's capable of hitting more than Braun or Fielder or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was a 30/30 guy at some point.

fwiw, Here's Rickie's rates since June 1: .248/.331/.404 .735 The last month he's doing this: .280/.375/.440 .815 I appreciate he needs to put up good numbers over an entire year, but he is playing much better after an abysmal first two months. I think there is more to like here than say, Bill Hall, who is fast becoming the next Deivi Cruz.

Community Moderator

I never used to be a guy with a favorite player, I always liked them all. However, Bill Hall grew on me ever since he got those big hits in April 2004. At first, I just liked him for playing with confidence and a little swagger, despite merely being a super-utility man. I like how he came from nowhere and never projected as a big prospect, yet still performed at every level that he played at. I like the spectacular plays that he makes on defense. I like how he (used to) hit consistently to the opposite field. I like when he curses after he misses a pitch that he thought he should have hit hard.

If the Brewers trade Hall, I'm not sure that I'll have a new favorite, at least right away. Fortunately for me, it looks like he's going to be sticking around for a few more years.

Sheets (I think it's love)

Yo!

hart

Hart

Branyan

CC would be in there but he doesn't really feel like a Brewer. Just a hired mercenary.

I respect Braun as a player. I'm happy he signed the extension and I root for him to succeed every time he's up there. I just don't like him that much.

1) Ryan Braun (Proclaimed to everyone I knew how this guy was going to be great when he got to the majors...and he is!)

2) Corey Hart (Always liked his game and that he wasn't recognized. He's blown up now!)

3) Ben Sheets (Been some rough times and some great times together. Will miss him when he probably leaves us.)

4) Ricky Weeks (I'm always pulling for this guy and irrationaly think he's going to be very good one day. He always breaks my heart it seems but I have faith in him)

5) Prince Fielder (Gotta love the big guy.)

*Last year Damien Miller would have made this list. I know, I know...I just liked that guy for some reason.

Great question, tough answer

1) Braun

2) Gallardo

3) Branyan

4) Parra

5) Shouse

And since I got bored, I did a consensus talley.

Braun ran away with it, no question, almost 20 votes more than any one else. The next four (Gallardo, Hart, Sheets, and Hardy) were within 4 votes of each other with a 9 gap cushion above CC at number 6. Neither Cameron nor Durham got a vote. Our roster would look like this

C: Kendall

1B: Fielder

2B: Weeks

3B: Branyan

SS: Hardy

LF: Braun

CF: Hall

RF: Hart

SP1: Gallardo

SP2: Sheets

SP3: Sabathia

SP4: Parra