Brewer Fanatic

Who are your favorite current Brewers?

logan82

According to wikipedia Torres is a devout Jehovah's Witness. Here's another tidbit from there:

Torres is best-known for starting the last game of the 1993 season for the Giants, when he gave up three runs over 3? innings to the arch-rival Los Angeles Dodgers. The Giants, winners of 103 games that season, finished in second place behind the 104-win Atlanta Braves, at that time in the National League West division. Giants fans blamed Torres for ruining a promising season and apparently never forgave him; he is still heckled when he returns to San Francisco as an opposing player. Said Torres: "They come to the park and they pay my salary, so they have the right to heckle me. If that's going to make them feel better and get over what happened in 1993, OK. But it's time to move on.... I don't think I was treated fairly by some of my teammates. And I still don't think I'm being treated fairly by the fans."

I heard a radio interview last week on a local station with him, recorded right after the first loss to the Cubs when he gave up the two runs to make it 6-4. I wish I had a transcript of the interview, he was just so impressive. The reporter noted as he was leaving the clubhouse he turned back to see Torres holding his young son, who was obviously distraught over the loss. Don't worry, he was telling his son, it's only one game; we lost, but now we move on. Tomorrow is another game. He should be the Team Guru.

Here's what he told Adam McCalvy after the game:

"I know exactly what I did wrong," Torres said. "Unfortunately, you are always aware of that after the game is over. It seemed like I was 1-2 on every hitter, but they were patient late in the count and I was not able to detect that. I feel like I let them off the hook. I had them in pitchers' counts there."

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corey Hart is not only number 1 on the roster, he's number one in my heart. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Beyond that, I'm reluctant to rank the others as 2, 3, 4, and 5, but the others are:

Hardy - I had a J.J. jersey tee in 2005, before his popularity really took off.

Braun - a real possibility to be the next "franchise" player, not just a talented guy who uses Milwaukee to launch his career.

Branyan - who won me over for good with his game tying blast on June 14.

And a tie between Salomon Torres and Carlos Villanueva. I've been rooting for CV for a while now (even have a jersey tee), but joepepsi's comments earlier in this thread said nicely how I feel about Sal. He really seems like a stand-up kind of guy, which I appreciate.

CC would be next on the list.

Edit:

CC (we can be heroes, if just for one half)
Bring Back the Stein - this is beautiful.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Least favorite:

1. Mota

2. Yost

3. Hall

4. Durham

5. Hart

I don't know what it is about Hart, but I feel he's the most overrated Brewer by far. He's kinda like a bad version of Ryan Braun, and he's getting a lot of "underrated" talk in the media. He's hailed as a guy who can hit anywhere in the order, but that's not true at all. He's a 5-6-7 hitter, probably best at 5 or 6.

EDIT: Defensively, he's average at best for a RF, he bats for a decent average with almost no walks, and he slugs reasonably well. There are many media personalities and Brewer fans who think he's as good as Braun or Fielder. This simply isn't the case. Depending on what his contract is after this season, I may change my tune, but I have a strong feeling he's going to be overpaid in arbitration.

1. Braun-Signed a very cheap (will be sooner than later) 8-year deal to stay in Milwaukee of all cities. He's got the swagger and ticks of Cubs fans too.

2. Hardy-Love watching him hit when he is on. In the field makes everything look easy.

3. Torres-His passion for the game is pretty sweet. Love watching him do the slap-shake with Kendall after a save.

4. C.C.-Seems like he is an all-around decent guy. Oh and he's beastly on the mound.

5. Ed Sedar-Don't ask. Inside joke with some friends.

Kapler, Hart, and Kendall all are honorable mentions. Kapler would take Sedar's spot if it was favorite "players," but you said "Brewers".

I might as well make a list of all the players on the 25 man roster. It would seem as relevant as "Power Rankings" that every site seems to publish and of course my list would change on the drop of a dime much like them. (Parra you could really climb tonight!)

1) Riske

2) Parra

3) Fielder

4) Shouse

5) Branyan

6) Weeks

7) Hart

8) Sabathia

9) Braun

10) Hardy

11) Torres

12) Bush

13) Villy

14) Sheets

15) Rivera

16) Gagne

17) Durham

18) Hall

19) Soup

20) McClung

21) Kapler

22) Cameron

23) Kendall

24) Mota

25) Counsell

any current brewer who gets a hit with risp.... any current brewer who scores a run while in scoring position.....any current brewer who hits a hr with someone in scoring position. any current brewer pitcher who wins a game for the brewers....any current brewer who saves a game for the brewers. i could go on endlessly....

Salomon Torres. Have you ever heard any interviews with this guy? He's the most articulate, well grounded pro athlete I've ever heard. He gives thoughtful responses, often framed in sentences longer than 5 words, and is respectful to the reporters. He must be a great teammate, always deflecting credit to others and taking the blame when he falters.

I remember one interview where he just started rattling off his own stats from previous seasons. I can't remember any other player who knew his numbers so well.

I've always had a favorite Brewer. Usually, some strange guy like Keshnik (sic) or Ron Theobald. But this year they don't seem like a very likable bunch. I guess I admire the guys who know the clock is ticking; you know the ones who next year are in trouble, who have lost value around the league. Guys like Gagne and Weeks. To know that your career is slumping into mediocrity, and to have millions watching your decline or self-destruction; that's pretty interesting and takes a lot of endurance on their part.

1. Hardy - I have liked him since he came up and struggled. I love watching him in the field

2. Braun - He is probably this high since I know he is going to be here a while

3. Hart - I like a guy with hustle and talent

4. Parra - I think it is easy to forget this is his first full year in the majors

5 Gallardo - he would be higher probably if he was pitching right now

6. Weeks - I know I am a sucker

7. Sheets

8. Suppan - this once makes no sense in a lot of ways, but I like him

9. Joe Dillion

10 - CC - He would be top 3 if he was going to be here next year.

1. YoGA! The name says it all.

2. Prince Again....the name says it all.

3. Weeks When he figures it out, he's going to win MVP's.

4. Bush His K/BB and old-school look hearken back to the days of yore...Your grandparents? Well I'm sure he could strike out Roy Hobbs.

5. Hart The quintessential athletic 1B. Let's hope Gamel doesn't make Hart's days at the hot corner look like Scott Rolen at 3B.

Lack of Sheets/CC/Braun because...well in the grand scheme of Brewer fandom, I've realized that those three players tend to be over-valued, and I refuse to pay retail on their bandwagons.

Archived