Brewer Fanatic

Non-Touristy things to do in NYC

theavrock
I would spend a day just walking over in Greenwich Village and checking out all the little shops. We ate at a number of the small ethnic restaurants in that area and found it to be the most affordable and best tasting part of Manhattan.

I'm going 08-29 to09-01. Anyone have any ideas on getting tickets for a Yankee game? They are completely sold out and I'm not happy about the Stub Hub and eBay prices. If I buy 2 on the street are they going to be OK?

I checked out a Yankee message board for you and it looks like there are a couple people looking for tickets for those dates too. Have you tried craigslist? I have friends who have bought them on the street with no problem. I say go for it.

I've been to NYC 2 times now and have had a blast each time. When I was there last (Fall 06) I actually got to be on the floor of the NYSE which is about impossible to do after 9/11. This was one of the coolest things I have ever done.

1. I liked seeing the USS Intrepid. It's an old carrier that they have turned into a museum of sorts. They have lots of cool warplanes there. There is also a submarine you can tour right next to it if I am not mistaken.

2. Katz's Delicatessen. If you have seen the movie "When Harry Met Sally" this restaurant is where Sally has her famous seen. FANTASTIC food. It's not a touristy place at all and there are actually unwritten rules you have to follow if you don't want to get skimped on your sandwhich b/c they think you are a tourist. I love the pastrami on rye myself. Its in the Bronx. If you plan on going, just let me know and I can hook you up with the "rules" as I remember them.

3. If you are in the market for some upscale food, I recommend a restaurant called Esca. It is one of Mario Batali's places (the guy with red hair and a pony tail on food network). Great food, and I actually ate dinner next to Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson while we were there.

4. FAO Schwartz is always kind of fun to walk through if you want to kill some time.

5. Dont get Carver's Ice Cream (I think it's called Carvers, something like that). The concierge at our hotel said it is great ice cream, so we went. It turned out to be expensive DQ.

6. I really enjoyed Little Italy. Hop on the subway and just walk around and stop somewhere for lunch. There are tons of restaurants and its fun to jsut walk around that area.

I'm sure there are other things I did that I loved, but I'm not recalling right now. If I think of them, I'll put up another post later.

EDIT : oh and don't expect much from Yankee Stadium, its a dump. There is a lot of history there, so as a fan of the game you can enjoy that, but history aside, I don't have any idea why NY people would pay that much to see a game in that place. No wonder they are building a new stadium.

Archived