Brewer Fanatic

Non-Touristy things to do in NYC

theavrock

Alright fellow Brewefans. I am going to be in NYC from 8/25-8-29. I have been there twice already so I have seen a lot of the touristy things and I have never really been into that scene. I would love to get some advice from you NYC peeps or others who know the low down on what to do when you want to get away from the scene a little. Here are some facts about myself and my traveling companions that might help steer us in the right direction. 1. We are three, mid 20 year old guys who work in a bar. So we like to drink but are also on somewhat of a budget.

2. We will be staying in Brooklyn and making trips into Manhattan.

3. We all LOVE music so if there any good bands playing or places that kind of group that whole thing together it would be appreciated. We are indie rock kids who grew up listening to punk rock so anything in those genres get extra points.

4. If any of you are familiar with Milwaukee we would be much more apt to hang out on Brady Street and in Bay View than we would Water Street or Milwaukee Street. Things I already have on my list are - Walking the Brooklyn Bridge at night

- Museum of Natural History

- Checking out the view from the top of Rockefeller Center

- Spending some time walking around Central Park

- Coney Island for all of its supposed awful greatness

- Taking pictures in Grand Central

- Some bars we have on our list are: Milk and Honey, Union Pool and Barcade

-Tenemant museum

- St. patrick's Cathedral

- Big Jon Lennon fans so we want to see the Dakota and Strawberry Fields

- and of course urinating in the subway at 4:33 am jk.... kind of

- And lastly we are catching the Yanks - Red Sox game on Wed. Should be fun Let me know if you like the ideas, if things are overrated or worth the trip. Lots and lots of ideas are def appreciated. Thanks guys

There's a Beer Garden (called The Beer Garden) in Queens that is very reminiscent of Milwaukee...but it's in NYC. Good beer, good food, fairly cheap. It's on the N train, I believe. link I went there in May and had a blast talking to random guys about the Brewers till 3AM.

Emailed a friend who lives in Brooklyn and got a diatribe in response:

Union Pool and Barcade are definitely must-hits; other fun bars in Brooklyn (those two are in my hood, so I assume they're staying somewhere near me) include Black Rabbit, The Charleston (total divey place), The Gutter (actually a bowling alley but also a totally great bar with much beer), Crocodile Lounge and Alligator Lounge (free pizza with drinks), Daddy's. These are all in Brooklyn (where everything is a little more Bay Ridge-like). If you do go out in Manhattan, stay below 14th St and you'll be fine. The Manitoba is cool, Pianos is cool (note: not a piano bar), Art Bar is cool. If they really are staying near me, they MUST EAT at Fette Sau. So delicious.

I'm not terribly up on the music scene, but The Music Hall of Williamsburg usually has good music acts, and McCarren Park has some free concerts that are usually indie rock-type stuff. Terminal 5 has been having some good stuff lately, but I haven't looked at the lineup in a while. Arlene's Grocery sometimes has good bands. Whatever you do, do not go to any bars above 14th St. The good ones are few and far between. Cake Shop, on the Lower East Side, sometimes has good bands. Other venues worth checking out: Knitting Factory, Mercury Lounge, Zipper Factory.

Also, if you're in New York, you have to have brunch at least once. The Essex's is good, fairly reasonable and includes 3 drinks (but really they're kind of unlimited because they forget how many they gave you).

The Brooklyn Brewery tour is supposed to be fun, also: free beer. Coney Island is totally awful AND great and I highly recommend it. Top of the Rock is probably not as cool as you think it is. Central Park is fun. Natural History Museum is SUPER FUN (if you are as huge a nerd as I am). Staten Island ferry is free, and you can look at the water.

Although I love the brunch ideas we will be coming into NYC on Monday and leaving on Friday afternoon so no dice for the weekend brunches. That being said I believe the Brooklyn Brewery is out as well. I do like the ideas for the bars and food. Keep 'em coming!

Yes, please do keep 'em coming. I am going from Friday 8/29 until Monday 9/2 and I have never been to NYC. I am interested in doing a little bit of tourist stuff but I'd like to find some cool "real" places to hang out at night, too.

I was just there this past weekend and did a lot of the same stuff you're planning--a couple afternoon hours at Barcade, Yankees game, Coney Island. I don't have much to add, really. I'd recommend renting bikes for a couple hours to tool around Central Park in. I'm also big on just walking neighborhoods. After moving to SF from Chicago, I don't get good Ukrainian food as often, so I always like going to Veselka when I'm there--they serve big bottles of Russian beer to enjoy while you eat your blintzes and veal goulash.

My wife and I did it all the way up (lots of drinks, lots of apps and small plates, desserts, etc) at three pretty great and relatively affordable restaurants--Toloache, Otto, and Blue Hill--for dinner at about $500 total for the three meals. Obviously there are much cheaper options than that, too (as well as much pricier options), but point being you can get a nice and big meal without completely breaking the bank.

Any neighborhoods you suggest SF? I love Italian neighborhoods, so I am sure we will walk around Little Italy, but I have heard its gotten really squeezed lately. I don't really have much interest in going to Chinatown. I love Polish food and culture so if anyone knows of any good Polish neighborhoods that would be sweet. I just like authentic stuff kind of off the beaten path. No chains restaurants or crappy franchises for me.

Any neighborhoods you suggest SF? I love Italian neighborhoods, so I am sure we will walk around Little Italy, but I have heard its gotten really squeezed lately. I don't really have much interest in going to Chinatown. I love Polish food and culture so if anyone knows of any good Polish neighborhoods that would be sweet. I just like authentic stuff kind of off the beaten path. No chains restaurants or crappy franchises for me.

Italian - Forlinis (on the border of Chinatown and Little Italy)

Spanish - Sevilla (west Village)

German - Rolfs (lower East side) [but I think it might be more of a Christmas thing]

Columbian food - Corona, Queens (I mean the neighborhood, this is not the name of a restaurant)

ETA: There's a steakhouse on the east side that opened a couple years ago by people who once worked at Peter Luger's. It became my father's favorite. I can't think of the name though. But if you would really like to try it out, I can get the info for you. It would be very pricey, unlike the restaurants above.

Italian - Forlinis (on the border of Chinatown and Little Italy)

Spanish - Sevilla (west Village)

German - Rolfs (lower East side) [but I think it might be more of a Christmas thing]

Columbian food - Corona, Queens (I mean the neighborhood, this is not the name of a restaurant)

ETA: There's a steakhouse on the east side that opened a couple years ago by people who once worked at Peter Luger's. It became my father's favorite. I can't think of the name though. But if you would really like to try it out, I can get the info for you. It would be very pricey, unlike the restaurants above.

That Italian place sounds awesome! As much as I love me some steak I think the price will often limit what we can do with that. Lots of really awesome ideas for food and what not here. Anyone have any info on bars and things to see? Thanks again for all the suggestions.

That Italian place sounds awesome! As much as I love me some steak I think the price will often limit what we can do with that. Lots of really awesome ideas for food and what not here. Anyone have any info on bars and things to see? Thanks again for all the suggestions.

If you go, let me know what you think.

Katz's Deli is pretty close to the tenement museum if you don't have other breakfast or lunch plans. From Grand Central go north on Park at least to the Seagram Building and Lever House. Next to the Dakota is Dallas Jones BBQ, nothing special but very cheap and you can also drink cheap. Or go to Zabar's at 80th and Broadway.

Mmmm... Peter Luger's... Expensive but awesome!

Anyways, onto my little NYC advice... If you want a great burger and amazing shakes and don't mind waiting a bit if you're eating around "normal" meal times I'd head to the Shake Shack in Madison Square Park. Very tasty

• 2 weeks later...

Archived