Brewer Fanatic

07/06/2006 Cubs (Maddux) @ Brewers (Capuano) 7:05pm CST

JoeH33
I was also at the game (on a side note, I got Dew Deck tickets off a scalper for $15, and the tickets included all the food I could eat and a decent seat, although I couldn't see a bit of rightfield.) but I disagree with the sentiment of 65/35 Brewers to Cubs fans. I felt it was perhaps even swung the other way with more cubs than brewers fans. Perhaps it was just that I wasn't really a part of the "ballpark" since the Dew Deck seats are kinda a world of their own, but I think there really were more cubs fans, they were just really quiet because their team sucks.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
I was also at the game (on a side note, I got Dew Deck tickets off a scalper for $15, and the tickets included all the food I could eat and a decent seat, although I couldn't see a bit of rightfield.) but I disagree with the sentiment of 65/35 Brewers to Cubs fans. I felt it was perhaps even swung the other way with more cubs than brewers fans. Perhaps it was just that I wasn't really a part of the "ballpark" since the Dew Deck seats are kinda a world of their own, but I think there really were more cubs fans, they were just really quiet because their team sucks

I was at the game and thought that it was closer to 75/25 in favor of Brewers fans. It was a really good turnout for the Crew fans and I thought the Cubs fans were few and far between.

With all due respect guys, i don't think this game is a measuring stick of how well the campagn worked. I think tomarrow/saturday/sunday will be, as more Cub fans can make it up with the work week over. However, that being said, 75/25 is AWESOME!!!! I will be there Sunday, so that's one more Brewer fan.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I was at the game tonight and it was great! Cappy was outstanding. Its a crying shame that he is not a 2006 all-star. I like Turnbow and all, but how is he a all-star over Cappy? Jenks came through with a big hit tonight. Nothing sweeter then yelling "Hope you have your toll money" to Cub fans after a Brewer win.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

MILWAUKEE -- The Internet balloting ended Thursday evening, but Chris Capuano's All-Star hopes were not be dashed just yet.

Capuano, the runner-up to the Dodgers' Nomar Garciaparra in the Monster 2006 All-Star Final Vote, responded an hour after results were official with a six-hit shutout in the Brewers' 2-0 win over the Cubs on Thursday in front of 37,326 at Miller Park.

With the Mets' Pedro Martinez on the disabled list and out of the All-Star game, Capuano went home Thursday night still clinging to a chance to pack his bags for Pittsburgh and the Midsummer Classic. The decision belongs to Astros manager Phil Garner, who will lead the National League All-Stars.

"I don't even know how this whole thing works," said Capuano, who had spent most of his days between starts participating in the Brewers' campaign to drum up votes. "I'm just done thinking about it and I want to get back to work. If it happens, great, but I'm much more concerned about what's happening in our clubhouse."

It was a decidedly happy clubhouse on Thursday night. The Brewers won their fourth straight game and moved above .500 (44-43) for the first time since May 30, when they were 26-25 but in the middle of an eight-game losing streak. They have the best home record in the National League at 29-17, and have won five games in a row at Miller Park and eight of the last 10. Thursday marked their first win this season when scoring fewer than three runs.

While Capuano focuses on those positives, the campaigning was left to others

"He surely didn't hurt himself tonight," Brewers manager Ned Yost said of Capuano's All-Star viability. "We've all got our fingers crossed."

A record 18.6 million votes were cast before Final Vote balloting ended at 5 p.m. CT on Thursday, about two hours before Capuano (10-4) threw the first of 97 pitches against the Cubs. He ran his scoreless streak against Chicago to 28 innings dating to last season, including 26 innings in three starts this year.

It was the second complete game of the season and Capuano's career, and both have come against the Cubs this season. He pitched a five-hit shutout at Wrigley Field on April 30, then worked eight scoreless innings there on June 26 before he was struck in the left forearm by an Aramis Ramirez line drive.

He declined the notion that his strong outing had anything to do with Thursday's disappointing Final Vote.

"I was just happy the thing was over," Capuano said. "No one can argue with the guy who was picked. Nomar is having an unbelievable year right now, so I'm happy for him."

For the second time in 11 days, Capuano and the Brewers beat Greg Maddux, who has lost to the Brewers only five times in 18 career decisions.

"I got outpitched," said Maddux, charged with two runs in six innings. "It's tough to shut a team out twice. To do it three times, you tip your hat. He's good, man."

Good enough for a spot on the All-Star team?

Capuano retired the first nine Cubs he faced Thursday before Juan Pierre's single leading off the fourth. Capuano stranded runners in scoring position in the fourth, sixth, seventh and ninth innings. Derrek Lee hit a one-out double in the ninth, but Yost stuck with Capuano. Had another Cubs runner reached base, Yost might have gone to closer Derrick Turnbow.

"You never want a guy that's pitched that well have to face the winning run," Yost said. "I'm just glad that another guy didn't get on, because I would have had to make a decision. It never got to that point."

The Brewers broke a scoreless tie with two runs off Maddux (7-9) in the fifth. Gabe Gross led off with a double and advanced on Capuano's sacrifice bunt before Rickie Weeks pulled an RBI double. Weeks scored two batters later on Geoff Jenkins' single.

Jenkins ran his hitting streak to five games and finished 2-for-3 in his at-bats against Maddux, improving his lifetime average against the Cubs legend to .447 (21-for-47). The Brewers right fielder also made the defensive play of the game, throwing a bullet from the warning track to third base and catching Ramirez trying to stretch a double into a triple in the seventh.

"It's hard to describe how much of a relief it is when something like that happens," Capuano said. "It just gives you so much confidence to throw strikes."

"I just chucked it, and hoped it was on a line," Jenkins said. "The ball went off the wall and I was chasing it, so the ball was in front of me and so was the runner. My whole thought there is just to pick it up and launch it, because you're not worried about missing the cutoff man because nobody's going to move up a base. You just try to throw it on a line, and see what happens."

What's gotten into the formerly-slumping Brewers right fielder?

"Good question," Yost said. "If anyone's got the answer to that, just let me know. I don't know. Jenks gets hot, and when he gets hot, he can put a lot of offense on the board. He's really been doing a nice job for us, and that play he made today, you're not going to see a better play than that."

Weeks finished 2-for-4 and is hitting .412 (7-for-17) on the current homestand.

The Brewers need to win two of their next three games to head into the All-Star break with a winning record.

"I'm lying if I said it wasn't important for us to do that," Yost said. "We're striving for that."

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Excellent win last night. Cappy did a great job and he is really deserving of going to the All Star Game. I hope Phil Garner realizes that too.

Nice way to rebound Cappy after the last start. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Just adjustments of a young hitter....he will snap out of it. He is learning to make adjustments.

He has altered his stance and bat placement a bit and spread his legs apart a bit.

So he is popping things up because his arms and hips are too slow and not in sync with his weight shift in the lower legs and trunk I think...But who am I?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Jenkins goes with the leg lift, but Prince sticks with the leg slide and pivot. Both will drive the ball and not get up under it so much and produce big for us. Don't worry. Prince is close.

He is not far behind in his timing. They are coming up and end and he is getting a little over anxious a bit to make em pay.

He must think 'back up the box' and he will get his head back right and start gapping and raking again like Rickie is doing now...Watch and see...

Prince will be Batting King soon...you can count on that!http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif He will be alright.

Archived