Brewer Fanatic

Aug. / Sept. Transaction Thread -- Latest: From Helena to W.V.

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

First, a link to the April / May transaction thread.

Then, the more recent June / July thread.

Nice to see, Michael Brantley (high ankle sprain) has been activated at Huntsville.

Callix Crabbe (chicken pox) has been activated off the Nashville DL.

Each of those rosters is now at a full complement of 24.

As noted in Saturday's Link Report, Lou Palmisano (left knee surgery) is rehabbing in Maryvale, where he saw game action at designated hitter.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

LHP Derek Miller has been activated from Huntsville's disabled list, so hopefully his shoulder issues are all set. Miller was then transferred to Brevard County for what should be a relatively brief stay.

INF Yohannis Perez was also shuttled back down to Huntsville from Brevard.

Huntsville's roster is currently at 23, one short of the limit.

To open the two roster spots at Brevard, 1B / OF Stephen Chapman was placed on the Manatee 7-day DL with an unspecified injury, retroactive to August 1st.

Also, Manatee utility infielder Jimmy Mojica has been released by the organization. Mojica, only 24, posted decent numbers at West Virginia last season, and started out like a house o'fire with the Manatees this spring before uneven playing time cooled off his game. Mojica was easy to root for because he was an independent league signee who signed his first affiliated contract with the Brewers prior to the '07 season. He was a client of Josh, our DDSM agent friend.

I've often contended the numbers game really has to be stacked against you as a position player in the Brewers' organization for you to be released while at A-ball. Crew management simply doesn't extend themselves numbers-wise on position players. Now pitchers, that's a different story, and we see both of those facts at play when spring training releases are announced each year. Good luck to Jimmy.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Welcome to AA, Jeremy Jeffress -- the kid has been promoted to Huntsville from high-A Brevard County. As speculated elsewhere on this forum, this could be part of a plan to get Jeffress to qualify for placement in the Arizona Fall League.

More big news, as LHP Zach Braddock, on the DL since July 17th, has been activated for the Manatees.

Catcher Anderson DeLaRosa continues his whirlwind tour of the mid-level Brewer affiliates, as he's transferred to Brevard from Huntsville. This is a pre-cursor to Angel Salome being activated off the Stars' DL later today.

To make room at Brevard, LHP Mike Ramlow is transferred from the Manatees to the open position at West Virginia. That is strictly a numbers move, as Ramlow had pitched well in four outings at B.C. before a recent tough outing vs. Daytona. Ramlow had been in Brevard since mid-July.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Adam McCalvy ran with our Jeffress update and also provides the following we didn't have earlier --

Outfielder Cutter Dykstra, one of the Brewers' two second-round picks, was moved from the entry-level Arizona Brewers to rookie Helena. He took the spot vacated by power-hitting outfielder Mike Vass, the team's 35th round selection, who was bumped from rookie Helena to low Class A West Virginia after hitting .242 with seven home runs and 28 RBIs in 43 games in the Pioneer League.

It appears that West Virginia is one over their active limit of 25, and we should hear about some type of move by mid-day Thursday.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Baseball America indicates additional 60-day transaction moves at the rookie levels.

Catcher Brett Whiteside is sidelined with two broken fingers on his left hand.

We haven't seen 19-year-old Canadian RHP Travis Nevakshonoff all season -- apparently, he's rehabbing a sprained elbow ligament, we believe he's going to avoid surgery.

RHP Chad Robinson remains on the 60-day DL after shoulder surgery.

Another Canadian, OF Ryan Jensen, technically on the organization's restricted list, is apparently rehabbing an elbow ligament strain of his own north of the border.

MH, if McCalvy got the info here, shouldn't he have to credit you and/or BF.net? Or is it plausible that he just got the info from the club later in the day, and didn't necessarily even notice it here? Nice scoop on this one, and congrats to Jeremy! This is exciting... I did not think he'd fast-track so well (thus far)... just assumed an arm that powerful would have to hone the command/control.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

After his complete game victory for Huntsville last night, RHP Nic Ungs has earned a return trip to AAA Nashville.

The Sounds will have to make a roster move on Friday, almost assuredly with a pitcher, as they now have 13 on the 25-man active roster (need to cut to 24).

RHP Donovan Hand (oblique strain) is good to go, and has been activated from the Stars' disabled list.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
MH, if McCalvy got the info here, shouldn't he have to credit you and/or BF.net? Or is it plausible that he just got the info from the club later in the day, and didn't necessarily even notice it here? Nice scoop on this one, and congrats to Jeremy! This is exciting... I did not think he'd fast-track so well (thus far)... just assumed an arm that powerful would have to hone the command/control.

Mr. McCalvy is the man, and no, I don't know if he first learned of the Jeffress move here, but he's a big fan of the site, particularly the out-of-the-way newspaper reports that we link to here, and is a daily reader.

It's not as if reporting the Jeffress promotion was investigative journalism, so I wouldn't expect anyone to cite us as a source. The news was included in an official release from the Media Relations staff with Brevard County, and we're fortunate to be on great terms with the various affiliates. While I don't see Adam among the direct addressees on the release, MLB.com is mailed the info via their "minors" address, so it's quite possible Adam saw it via a different route.

Adam, or others on the Brewers' MLB.com / MiLB.com staff, helps put together the weekly affiliate updates that MiLB.com puts out. Each week, there are multiple quotes from The Tennessean, the Huntsville Times, Florida Today, the two Charleston newspapers, the Helena Independent Record, etc. And we're pretty sure (OK, very sure) they're gleaming those quotes from the Link Reports. Nothing wrong with that, in fact, we're honored to indirectly contribute to the fanbase that way. And of course, those articles are correct in quoting "The Huntsville Times" and not the "The Huntsville Times via Brewerfan.net who made it convenient for us to get the quote", if you see what I mean.

We've "broken" a few stories over the years -- the Yohannis Perez signing comes to mind, wish that had worked out better, but for the most part, we're pretty content in serving you folks as we currently are. We've received plenty of props over the years from folks like Jim Powell and Adam, and we're now likewise complimenting some of the additional outlets on the web who are obtaining first-hand interviews and observations. All the better for the Brewer Fan (and Brewerfan).

Each week, there are multiple quotes from The Tennessean, the Huntsville Times, Florida Today, the two Charleston newspapers, the Helena Independent Record, etc. And we're pretty sure (OK, very sure) they're gleaming those quotes from the Link Reports. Nothing wrong with that, in fact, we're honored to indirectly contribute to the fanbase that way. And of course, those articles are correct in quoting "The Huntsville Times" and not the "The Huntsville Times via Brewerfan.net who made it convenient for us to get the quote", if you see what I mean.

Hah -- yeah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying MH. It must be pretty cool to see your work playing a role in the MSM stuff. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media Notes:

PENA PLACED ON D.L.: Sounds closer Luis Pena has been placed on the disabled list, retroactive to Wednesday. In his last eight appearances, the fireballer has been touched for an 18.00 ERA (18 ER / 9.0 IP) while opponents batted .400 against him (16-for-40). He is 1-3 with one save and three blown saves over that stretch. Pena opened the year by posting a 3.47 ERA in his initial 38 outings.

No details on the nature of the injury...

Dont worry about Luis, he's going to be fine, I promise, nothing is structurally wrong with him, he's just working through some minor issues through some bullpen sessions instead of pitching live. He is only going to miss two "live" appearances then back to the normal rotation for him.Rest easy. Hopefully the plan is still to get him to MIL by sept. Thanks for reading, and as a random aside, thanks to everyone keeping up with the blog, Ive gotten some good feedback and I really appreciate all the comments (I wish there was more fan interaction but what can you do? Remember, I answer all emails, every single one of them) Talk to you all soon.

J

Thanks for reading, and as a random aside, thanks to everyone keeping up with the blog

Hey, thanks for the update J. I was 'Brew Favre' that asked on your blog about Luis. Really glad to hear that Luis is going to be fine. Caution is always the best approach when it comes to an arm (esp. a young one... and as promising as Pena's). Please tell Luis that we all wish him the best & a speedy recovery. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I don't want to be a jerk, but I don't think Pena deserves a call up in September. He has a great arm, but he's had issues as of late. I think he'll be in Milwaukee next year, but this isn't the old Brewers where you call up guys with potential. We need to call up guys that can perform.

I doubt he starts '09 in MIL. He's proven nothing at AAA except velocity isn't everything, and that he hasn't been able to get those guys out consistently. He's nothing but depth at this point.

I agree he won't start there, but if he improves in the off-season and early in AA/AAA he very well could be called up. I just don't think he should be in Milwaukee this September.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Latest moves include:

Huntsville RHP Steve Bray placed on the Temporarily Inactive List.

RHP Robert Hinton transferred from Brevard County to fill Bray's roster spot.

Catcher Lou Palmisano, transferred from Nashville's roster (and Maryvale injury rehab assignment) to Brevard County to continue his return to action. It will be interesting to see if Lou continues to work as a DH only. Since Nashville and Huntsville often do not employ the DH, the move to Brevard makes sense in that way.

Catcher Anderson Delarosa returns to West Virginia and that postseason chase, from Brevard County.

There will need to be a corresponding roster move with the Power, should have that later tonight.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Catcher Uly Snijders is transferred from West Virginia to Arizona (Maryvale).

Nashville Media Notes:

KATIN, CORPORAN ACTIVATED: Outfielder Brendan Katin and catcher Carlos Corporan have been activated from the Sounds' disabled list after each player missed the past 14 games. Katin was out of action with a left hamstring strain suffered while running to retrieve a ball in the first inning on July 26 against Portland, while Corporan was out due to chicken pox. Both players last appeared for Nashville on July 26th. To make room for their return to the active roster, catcher J.R. Hopf was reassigned to rookie-level Helena and infielder Ozzie Chavez was placed on the temporary inactive list, retroactive to Sunday.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Baseball America is reporting that the Brewers released 21-year-old RHP Jorge Crespo of Puerto Rico from their Maryavle squad. Crespo had appeared in three games for Helena early this season, and then three more for Arizona. He appeared in 12 games for Maryvale in '07.

Archived