Brewer Fanatic

Yost's Nationally Televised Record?

yount19.u

Just warning you, a lot of people are going to bash you for being concerned with such a small sample. It may be interesting though, considering that some people think Yost doesn't handle pressure well.

Like was pointed out earlier this week, it does seem that the Brewers lose a lot of their nationally televised games. I would have revised the topic's title to say "Brewers Nationally Televised Record?" It really doesn't have much to do with Yost, since the Brewers are the only team he's managed.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

My point in posting this was to try and establish a record for Yost in pressure situations. Games on ESPN, TBS and Fox are an interesting study as they are seen across the country and put the team under a spotlight. I'm sure players and managers will all say that they don't pay attention to those things, but we are all human and they must have some knowledge (especially Yost) of who's broadcasting the games. It's a small sample size, but interesting nonetheless.

I would look at it on a game-by-game basis, starting with last year's FOX/ESPN games:

June 30: @ CHC, W 13-4 (FOX)

July 21: SF, L 0-8 (FOX)

Aug. 1: NYM, L 5-8 (ESPN)

Sept. 21: ATL, W 4-1 (ESPN)

Sept. 22: @ ATL, L 3-4 (FOX)

Sept. 28: SD, L 3-6 (ESPN)

Sept. 29: SD, W 4-3 (FOX)

I don't know if there were more games, but by my count, they were 3-4 last year. The loss to Atlanta was the game Cordero blew.

This year:

May 10: STL, L 3-5 (FOX)

May 17: @ BOS, L 3-5 (FOX)

May 18: @ BOS, L 7-11 (TBS)

July 21: @ STL, W 6-3 (ESPN)

July 30: CHC, L 2-7 (ESPN)

I just don't really see anything here. I blame Yost for a lot of things, but I don't think this carries much weight.

Considering you usually don't get games on National TV unless you're playing a pretty good team, it doesn't surprise me that the Brewers' record isn't that great in those games. It could be better, sure, but I wouldn't sweat playing poorly in a handful of games.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

This year:

You definitely missed at least one game. Opening day this year was on ESPN and that was a win.

(pared back quote to the part that was commented on --1992)

The opening day games on ESPN are all regionalized. I guess you could count it, but I would imagine that game was distributed to a sliver of the country.

I watched it in Montana, I still have it on the DVR with the unusual fog over Wrigley Field.

The opening day games on ESPN are all regionalized. I guess you could count it, but I would imagine that game was distributed to a sliver of the country.

I watched it in Montana, I still have it on the DVR with the unusual fog over Wrigley Field.

It was also on in Atlanta. It was definitely national.

And I don't think there's any more pressure in the nationally televised games than in any other game, except for playoffs and end-of-season games in pennant races.

Just warning you, a lot of people are going to bash you for being concerned with such a small sample. It may be interesting though, considering that some people think Yost doesn't handle pressure well.

It seems like you're implying that "disagreeing" would equal "bashing".

No, I used bashing because the original poster didn't really say anything that could be disagreed with in a conventional sense. He just asked what the record was and said it seemed like the Brewers lose some nationally televised games. However, I know there are a certain amount of people who take offense at anything that is mentioned about Yost's record in various games, so I was just warning the poster. It can certainly be debated how much effect a manager has on a team, which is why I find it somewhat ridiculous that any time someone brings something about Yost up, other people are waiting to pounce based on the idea that managers have no (or little) effect. If managers have no effect at all, why do teams ever bother changing them? Why do they even exist? Is it just tradition? Because they do, in fact, exist, I think it's legitimate to ask certain questions and have various debates/discussions about them.

This year:

We played the Cardinals on ESPN the night after Josh Hancock died last season. I remember being able to watch it while I was in Vegas. Suppan threw a shut out.

(pared back quote --1992)

Managers decide who plays (to a certain degree) and has control of in game decisions. Through those two avenues, they can certainly affect winning and losing.

All this other stuff proposed around here on a daily basis is just noise, IMO. Can't instill confidence. Killer mentailty. Rising to the occasion ... As if a baseball manager can just will a group of professional athletes to play better with romantic speaches and a stoic demeaner. Makes for a great Disney moment but let's be realistic. That kind of stuff lends itself to something like highschool football the most and professional baseball the least.

And even if Yost does have some negative emotional effect on individual performances in certain situations, us fans are in absolutely NO position to even know. Speculation and cherry picked anecdotal evidence is al I ever see. It's a big waste of time, IMO.

And this comes from a guy who has a very low opinion of Yost. I just don't need engage in a bunch of amateur psycho babble to justify that opinion.

From a distance it seems strange that a guy that won 14 straight division titles would need to have his "bashers stifled" by a local columnist. And it's more than a bit ironic that the Atlanta columnist is pointing to Ned Yost as a beacon of light shining on Cox's career. I mean, Cox should be viewed as about as good as you're going to get, I would think. And Yost is one of the most heavily criticized people in the state of Wisconsin. (He'd be a clear #1 if Ted Thompson wasn't here).

And this comes from a guy who has a very low opinion of Yost. I just don't need engage in a bunch of amateur psycho babble to justify that opinion.

where do you see anyone using "psycho babble" to say anything? I think you have become too dogmatic in your insistence that a manager means nothing besides putting a lineup together every day. Obviously a manager is far less important in baseball than a coach is in basketball, football, soccer, or hockey, but it doesn't follow that there is no effect. And just because an effect is not easily discernible doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You are probably right in that any of the various splits that people mention about Yost (or other managers) mean very little or nothing. However, that doesn't mean that there isn't one that does tell us something. I think it's unfair to expect random people who post on a baseball message board in their spare time to be able to put together a peer-reviewed academic paper on the effect or lack thereof of baseball managers. I understand that just stating opinions is not very intellectually rigorous. However, you are basically doing the same thing, so the superior attitude becomes a bit off-putting. Maybe I just failed to see your posts where you proved that managers are irrelevant. edit: I should add that you are one of my favorite posters.

Archived