Brewer Fanatic

Jake Odorizzi

paul253
Jake Odorizzi is my new favorite prospect, and although its only been 12.1 innings, he putting up really good number so far in Arizona...2.94 ERA whip under 1.00 12 k's only 3 walks, but 2 home runs allowed. My questions are....does he have the potential to be a #1 or #2, and is there any chance he sees Helena this summer? Its seems foolish to keep him in Arizona if he keeps up this success. Any chance he starts next year at West Virginia, or whoever our low A affiliate is?

Jake Odorizzi is my new favorite prospect, and although its only been 12.1 innings, he putting up really good number so far in Arizona...2.94 ERA whip under 1.00 12 k's only 3 walks, but 2 home runs allowed. My questions are....does he have the potential to be a #1 or #2, and is there any chance he sees Helena this summer? Its seems foolish to keep him in Arizona if he keeps up this success. Any chance he starts next year at West Virginia, or whoever our low A affiliate is?

Thats a pretty small sample obviously but he also has a ton of talent just look at his draft position. I would assume he would follow a path similar to the one that Jeffress has followed, (hopefully minus the 50 game suspension) with playing the rest of this season in Arizona, and going to West Virginia in his first full season.

A deeper look into the draft forum will get you this http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif:

Odorizzi is a very athletic pitcher that also starred as a hitter at Highland High School in Illinois. He has a nice, projectable frame and an easy delivery and overall arm action that makes it look as though he's playing catch on the mound. His fastball explodes out of his hand, as the pitch sits in the 90-93 range and tops out around 95-96. He repeats his delivery well, and doesn't overthrow, which allows him to maintain his velocity deep into ballgames. He throws a slider and a curveball, the slider being a wicked breaking pitch that he can get batters fishing in the dirt, while he can drop his sharp curve in for strikes. He also throws a promising changeup, and works off of the strength of his fastball to set-up all of his offspeed offerings. He throws strikes, commands the strike zone well, and could move fairly quick for a high school pitcher.

If you read the draft forum, you've probably heard me talk about how I got to see Odorizzi pitch last February on more than a few occasions. The guy just has an extremely quick and easy arm and overall delivery. He's an athletic guy, and he's also a guy that I predicted would go in the first round after seeing him in February (he wasn't ranked that high to open the year), and a guy I was surprised to see fall to the Brewers first pick in the sandwich round during the draft. He is also a pretty good hitter, and his overall profile and draft status relative to Gallardo (a player I thought could go as high as #10 overall in 2004) makes the comparison to Gallardo that much easier to make. It's unfair, since Yo cruised through the minors, but Odorizzi is an extremely exciting young pitcher to watch, and one that should have no problem handling low-A, wherever that may be, to open the '09 season.

He's not a raw hurler like Jones/Rogers/Jeffress, that's for sure.

How about -- "0's"... meaning zeroes, but pronounce it 'Oh's'. Could even play off his name a bit more & teh interwebz & call him "0'z"... dang, now I'm thinking Oz, but 'The Wizard Of' clearly has been 'retired' http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Sorry for that stream of unconciousness.

He has a nice, projectable frame and an easy delivery and overall arm action that makes it look as though he's playing catch on the mound... He repeats his delivery well, and doesn't overthrow, which allows him to maintain his velocity deep into ballgames.

That's gotta be my favorite thing to hear about a young, talented pitcher. Seemingly effortless delivery, and very repeatable. I'm going to try to keep tabs on Jake... er, 0'z

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived