Brewer Fanatic

Trouble loading various websites?

burniebrewer

Anybody else here having any internet connection issues today? I've been unable to load Yahoo, Hotmail and a few others all day. Click on the bookmark and the page never loads. No error message or anything, the little "loading circle" just keeps spinning. For what it's worth, I use Firefox and just for fun I tried IE as well and that didn't work either.

I'd like to check my fantasy teams and email, but I can't.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

There is a DNS exploit floating around that could be causing this issue. One thing you could try would be to use opendns's dns servers. To do this (For windows XP, Vista is similar):

Go to your control panel. Go in to Network Connections.

Right-Click your network connection (usually called local area connection unless you are using wireless, then it is self-explanatory) and click properties.

In the white box in the middle, double click where it says 'Internet Protocol Version 4' or similar.

If your connection is set to automatically obtain an IP*, we are going to go down to the DNS server area and click 'Use the following DNS Server Addresses'

Use these:

Once they are in place, click ok and ok again.

At this point, try clearing the cache in your browser and checking out those sites again. Hopefully this does the trick.

* - Whether or not your connection is set to automatic, you can change the DNS servers to these addresses and you should have no problem.

I've had issues from time to time lately, and haven't been able to figure out if there's a problem with my ISP (Roadrunner), modem/router, or laptop. Haven't had problems with the same hardware I've used for years, but now my connection drops altogether, or I can't access certain sites. Very strange.

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one really struggling yesterday- the others with problems wouldn't be using Charter, by chance?

Everything seems back to normal this morning.

Yep, Charter. Unfortunately, my specific websites are still not working.

I tried what Bullox suggested as well to no avail.

Either the site loads immediately or not at all.

Very frustrating.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I think it's a problem with charter, burnie. The same sites I was having trouble with last night also were a problem on my laptop (hence, not a problem with a specific CPU), but had no problems at all loading on my cell.

I couldn't even bring up the hotmail page last night, but both that and yahoo are working ok this morning.

Peavey, hearing that frustrates me more because those are the two main pages I'm trying to access and can't.

I can get the MSN page to load up in IE, but in Firefox I just get their background blue with no text. With Yahoo, nothing happens at all.

It does appear to be a problem on Charter's end. I was having problems getting on several specific websites at home. When I came into work at UW, I was able to get every page to load instantly on their network. Yet another reason why I hate Charter.

I just tried to get some sort of answer and used their live chat option. I was talking to a real person, most likely working overseas based on the wording used, and got nowhere.

My question was ignored as they tried to play the "unplug the modem" game they always play.

I ended the session right there. The modem is fine, robot. Answer my question please.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I've never had a good experience with customer service from Charter. I actually have gotten through to individuals in the local Charter offices with questions, but they are often just as bad, if not worse, than their foreign counterparts. Hopefully AT&T is on the horizon for Madison.

If you use the phone, it takes forever so I thought I'd try the live chat feature. Kind of hard to get a point across or get a question answered when they seem to "stick tot he script".

I just want to check my email. That's all, is that too much to ask?

For the past week or so I cannot get Google at my home. Also that Google Search box in Firefox doesn't work. It's completely odd and really annoying. Not sure what I can do about it. No other sites seem to be an issue.

Finally!

I can now access all of my favorites/bookmarks.

My question was ignored as they tried to play the "unplug the modem" game they always play.

I'd love to know how the techie expects you to continue the chat if you did that.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'd love to know how the techie expects you to continue the chat if you did that.

They stated that IF (!) we became disconnected, I could reconnect the chat!

For the past week or so I cannot get Google at my home. Also that Google Search box in Firefox doesn't work. It's completely odd and really annoying. Not sure what I can do about it. No other sites seem to be an issue.
Have you cleared the cache in your browser? If so then search your computer for a lmhosts.sam file, you'll want to open it with Notepad, scroll down to the bottom of the file and delete any lines for Google. Some programs actually create static IP entries in that file for Websites, and when the site moves you can no longer connect to it. I had that happen to me because I was foolish enough to run the installation disk when I signed up with Road Runner... when Ezboard moved their servers the first time I couldn't access my message boards anymore. I haven't worried about static IPs in so long I totally forgot about the hosts file and it took me about 4 days to figure out what was going wrong.

If it's not either of those things the problem possibly gets much more complicated.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived