Brewer Fanatic

Slight chest pain?

sbrylski

I'm a doctor hater, as in I generally stay away whenever possible. I want to make sure I need his services before I go in.

Anyway, why not check BF.net first?

Basically, I get very light chest pain in the same general area: left side of chest, just below the pectoral. Just kind of a light dull pain that goes in and out that's barely bothersome. Usually last for about 5 minutes, then just goes away. I think the first time I remember getting it was about a year or so ago, and very infrequently. But this summer I've felt it every third/fourth day or so, sometimes twice a day.

It sounds bad probably, but I want to stress that its pretty light pain. (Say, a 1/2 on a scale of 1 to 10) Anywhere other than chest, bah I don't think twice about it.

Thoughts?

Yeah, gas or muscle strain even. My work load in the summer gets much more physical. (Framing and construction verse term papers.)

Checking WebMD, simple muscle strain or pulmonary embolism at the worst (small blood clot near/in lung, treated with blood thinner medication). The symptoms of PE actually sound closer to something I had in high school (sudden shortness of breath, sharp pain when you take a deep breath) which went away after a week, which I assume was a rib or deeper bruise or something. I don't have either of that right now, the light pain is independent of anything I do.

You could have a pleurisy. I was having similiar symptons and ended up having to go to the ER to get it checked out. They ran a full battery of tests on me (x-ray, blood tests, EKG reading) and determined I basically just had an irritation of the lung lining (pleurisy). Basically they just prescribed ibuprofren for it, and it's basically gone away almost completely now, but it took several weeks.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Well, for about 6 years I would get the same type of pain just on my left side. I went to the doctor in college and they told me it was a muscle strain. They were wrong.

It got much worse and I eventually thought I was having a heart attack and went to the ER. After a full set of tests and a running stress test they determined I have a great heart and perfect blood pressure and cholesterol. It turns out the thing was a tell-tale sign of anxiety. I didn't outwardly feel panicked or anything, but the pain was a way of my body coping -- sorta like a sore neck or headache.

I would go into your doctor or local clinic and have them take an EKG just in case. They can tell real quick if it's a heart thing. Otherwise, your likely suspects are anxiety or gas.

GERD = acid reflux. And not all heart trouble is intense. Diabetics classically have "silent" heart attacks. Angina, which is ischemic heart pain, is often intermittent in character and does just "go away". Yet if you are fairly young and have a relatively clean bill of health cardiac would be pretty low on my list of causes as well, but I think a check-up with an EKG would probably be reassuring.

Archived