Brewer Fanatic

Manny to Dodgers, Bay to Red Sox, 4 players to Pirates

B2k1121

from Ken Rosenthal:

"Updated 4:28 p.m.: Manny traded to Dodgers

Manny Ramirez has been traded to the Dodgers in a three-team blockbuster, pending the approval of the commissioner's office, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.

Pirates outfielder Jason Bay is headed to the Red Sox. The Pirates will receive Andy LaRoche and right-hander Bryan Morris from the Dodgers and outfielder Damien Moss and releiver Craig Hansen from the Red Sox.

The Red Sox will pay all of the approximately $7 million remaining on Ramirez's contract."

Talk about sneaking one in under the wire....when the deadline had come and gone with no action, I assumed it was yet another Manny saga that brought nothing.

And I would have thought the Red Sox would end up with more than just one player in the deal, even if everyone knew they were desperate to trade Manny.

The Dodgers may eventually regret losing LaRoche (though I'm not sure, I'm not as high on him as a lot of people are), but the upgrade from Juan Pierre to Manny Ramirez is massive. From Pittsburgh's perspective, they get to unite the LaRoche boys. Boston came out pretty well too in that Bay is cheaper and a better defender than Manny. I think it works for all 3 teams.

I still don't get the reasoning behind trading Ramirez unless he really did just give up on the team. I also don't get why he was so disgruntled. So all that the Sox got was Jason Bay? I would think they could get more for a future HOFwho still playing very well

I like what the Pirates have done in this deal. They are just stocking up on good talent, would have rather had Kemp if I were them but oh well

Agreed, jwill. My thoughts exactly when I saw their haul. 'Cast a wide net' imo is always a good strategy. 2 arms & 2 position players for Bay -- well done.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I still don't get the reasoning behind trading Ramirez unless he really did just give up on the team. I also don't get why he was so disgruntled. So all that the Sox got was Jason Bay? I would think they could get more for a future HOFwho still playing very well

That's a good point. Jason Bay is good, but I'm not sure he's worth Ramirez, Craig Hansen, and Brandon Moss.

I think they were just trying to make the best of a bad situation. They will be worse though.

but Bay stays with the Sox for a few years vs. having to deal with Manny all of next year.

really like the haul Pittsburgh got with the deal. this is a pretty good trade all around.

who leads off for the Dodgers?

Also, the Dodgers can offer Manny arbitration and net some draft picks this off-season. I think the only real loser here is Boston. But they do get similar production at a fraction of the cost. But isn't Moss a pretty decent prospect to give up?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Manny's comments indicated that he never felt like he had 'peace of mind' while in Boston, and followed that up by saying 'you can't put a price on that'. He said he loves the Boston fans & his teammates, but the management/ownership was his reason for being disgruntled.

Also, you *know* you're a mega-star when a thread title at a Brewers fan forum reads "Manny to the Dodgers", and literally no one panics, thinking it's Parra. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

who leads off for the Dodgers?

Maybe they can trade for Corey Patterson! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Moss was a decent prospect but where were they going to play him? With Drew locked into a big deal in RF, Bay now out there in LF and Ellsbury being a long term player in CF they weren't going to put Moss out there anytime soon (especially when you consider Ortiz has the DH spot locked up). Plus Moss doesn't project to have the same kind of production that Bay would provide.

It took Manny 6 seconds to run out ground balls the other night, and I believe there was speculation that he would refuse to play much more than 20 more games this year. He was in full-on tank mode, and no one was going to convince him to play hard until he got out of Boston. They couldn't afford to have him around while they're still trying to fight off the Yankees for a wildcard spot.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I suppose this trade could really help the Dodgers, but it seems equally likely that Kemp or Ethier will be sitting on any given day as Jones or Pierre. In fact, I really can't see BOTH Jones and Pierre riding the bench very often at all. The second there is a losing streak of more than 2 games, Jeff Kent, Jim Plaschke, and Lee Simers will have a collaberative conniption. The fact that Ramirez will displace Kemp or Ethier a fair amount of the time cuts into the impact this has on the NL West race rather drastically. I still think the D'Backs are the best team in that division.

I think people are overestimating the return the Pirates got a little bit. They did okay -- I still like LaRoche, and Moss might be an adequate starter at a corner OF position for a bad team if he's lucky. I don't think either of the pitchers they got will ever be useful parts of a quality staff.

Red Sox are the clear winners to me. They shouldn't have had any leverage at all, given the soap opera going on with Manny, and Theo still managed to come away with the best player in the trade, with the best contract, for 1 1/3 seasons, and he didn't give up anything he cared about. I think they're better off with Bay than Manny for the duration of '08 anyway.

As a local partial observer of the Dodgers, this trade epitomizes their franchise. Instead of focusing on the building blocks of their decent minor league system like the Red Sox have done and then add the big salaries on top of it...they go out and get these over the hill guys and pay too much. Jones, Kent, Garciaparra...and now Ramirez. Congrats Dodgers...you are now slightly above average and gave up more of your future to do so. McCourt reminds me of Peter Angelos when he first bought the O's...he had no idea what he was doing and had no patience. The Dodgers may win this pathetic division...but they will be swept in 3 by whoever they play..and no one in LA will care.

I like the deal for the Pirates...although it will take a lot more than LaRoche to turn them around, it was a good start. Thank you for not hiring Jack Z last year.

Decent deal for the Sox too...they basically get younger Manny-like stats without the 'tude.

Wow, I definately think that Boston is the loser in this trade. Just look at it.

Boston traded Manny, Hansen and Moss for Jason Bay. Manny was still having a good season, and I think that Hansen and Moss might turn into decent players. However, I do think that Boston made the best of a bad situation.

I also think that the Dodgers and Pittsburgh were big winners.

The Dodgers got Manny for Andy LaRoche and Morris. Not only is Manny a HUGE improvement over Pierre, the Dodgers didn't have to give up a whole lot for him. Even though I think that LaRoche might be a pretty good player in the future, Manny is proven ML player and might be the player to push LA to the division title.

The Pirates got Hansen, Moss, LaRoche and Morris for Bay. It was time for Pittsburgh to give in on this season and build for '09 and this trade helps them next year

Archived