Brewer Fanatic

7/9/2006 Cubs (Rusch) @ Brewers (Davis)1:05 CDT

hawing
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We can complain all we want about DD's performance today but the fact remains that the offense has been complete crap this series and is the reason why we're going to lose 3 of 4. We're not getting any production from Fielder, Hall, Clark/Gross and everyone else is just "so-so." No one is hitting well right now.

Not saying those are horrible numbers, but I'm willing to bet Bush's last 10 starts are better.

Face it, Doug is no longer a solid #2 pitcher like he used to be. And it really isn't worth talking a long contract extension with him at this point, especially with the pitching talent we have coming up from the minors. Offer him arby next year, then let him walk. No extension.

Offer him arby next year, then let him walk. No extension.

Why? Let him walk now. We have guys with more potential coming up who will fill in just fine and allow us to save some $ instead of blowing it on Doug. He's not going to be with this team when we get to the playoff years anyways, so why throw money out the window?

Is this the new venting thread?

Just breath. Calm down.

I will agree we have some offensive issues with consistensy and our plate approach. In the NL we are 12th in BA, 12th in OBP, 1st in SO, 3rd in HR, and 4th in SLG. We are swinging way too much for the fences and swing at pitches out of the zone. What's the solution? Adding another bat would help, but that is way easier to say that to do. To get a bat that would actually help us enough to make a few game difference in the standings, possibly like an Andruw Jones who's been a hot topic, would be very expensive and careful thought has to be put into attempting a trade like that. As for me, I'm re-joining the "fire Wynegar" bandwagon I think. See my next post in the Wynegar thread for my reasons why.

On to Sharpie. Awful outing today, no doubt, but one start isn't going to mean a whole lot when evaluating his worth to the team. Those earned run numbers posted earlier speak pretty well of him. Doug struggled early, but then found his game and has been pitching well. In his last eight starts prior to today he had six quality starts. For our third best pitcher, that is definatley acceptable IMO. I still feel attempting to extend his contract next offseason is the right way to go, provided it is fairly reasonable.

Davis is a bum, don't resign him

DFA Bill Hall, he's 0 for 3 so far

Don't excercise Miller's option, he's struck out twice today against the Cubs, the Cubs

Ben Sheets is injury prone garbage

Quote:
Davis is a bum, don't resign him

And what part of Davis' 4.95 ERA and poor record and constant walks makes you think we should throw a lot of money his way to give him a contract extension?

Quote:
And what part of Davis' 4.95 ERA and poor record and constant walks makes you think we should throw a lot of money his way to give him a contract extension?

Lets see...

The fact that his previous few start have been very good.

The fact that this season is only half way over, and he could put up solid numbers by the end of the year.

Also, the fact that he's been one of the best and most underrated lefties in the league the past few years.

Quote:
The fact that his previous few start have been very good.

His last 6 starts have seen him give up 18 runs in 37 innings, with a 4.86 ERA, 29 K's and 15 BB's (he's 2nd in the NL in walks). If those are "very good" starts, our expectations of him sure have dropped dramatically.

Quote:
The fact that this season is only half way over, and he could put up solid numbers by the end of the year.

And our bullpen could miraculously start shutting down teams left and right. I could speculate all day, but all I can really go by is what we've seen so far.

Quote:
Also, the fact that he's been one of the best and most underrated lefties in the league the past few years.

I won't deny that he was very solid in '04 and '05. However, Davis isn't getting any younger and the idea of throwing him a 4 or 5 year deal and expecting him to find those numbers that he put up in '04 and '05 over the next 4-5 years is unrealistic.

Quote:
Thank you gifted and sbrylski for finally putting some sense into this irrational IGT.

Let's see, people are upset about Davis' very poor first half performance, the bullpen's failures, the inconsistency of the lineup, and the failure to compete against inferior teams when coming into to a very winnable series against them on a high note from the last series. It's fine to be positive, but there's nothing irrational about those complaints.

They can't control that Sheets and Okha and Hardy have been out, but that doesn't excuse the performances of Davis and the pen this season.

No actually the Brewers played this weekend without due respect of their opponents. With all the frustrations the Cubs have been though anyone thinking they didn't want to regain self respect in this series by playing hard doesn't understand baseball.

"The All Star break couldn't have come too soon"

Apparently that's been the attitude of the Brewer players who looked focused on the break instead of the task at hand.

A lot of people tend to coast the days leading up to a vacation. The manager needs to do whatever he can to keep them focused. Yost failed badly in this regard.

I've said it over and over in various posts, but Davis never has been anything more than a .500 pitcher and he's past the point where improvement can be expected. For a small market team to throw money at him would be foolish especially one with a lot of good young arms nearing the top of the minors.

I got to listen to the whole game at work...I don't get the hit and run with jenkins going to 3rd..Ned ran us out of an inning...also, Ned has no clue when to pull a pitcher..DD should have been pulled way before it got out of hand..Aslo, Ned has no clue when to go to a pinch hitter or when not to...right now, someone needs to go..Butch, or Ned, i don't care who..their approach to hitting is pathetic..swinging at balls, swinging at the first pitch, trying to go yard every ab...something needs to change

Quote:
"Seriously though, even if we lose today we're still in the middle of the Wildcard and Division races. We're a young team with a lot of injuries. That's not a good formula for consistancy. "

No disrespect, but thats exactly the attitude that the Seligs brought to the table and the attitude that we as Brewer fans need to get rid of.

Thats the "well it was good while it lasted" attitude. Or the "Well at least we tried". I dont need that BS. This is baseball and if your in a race and you have some bad fortune, you pay a GM good money to get you the tools you need to succeed. There is ABSOLUTLY no reason for us to accept this. Yes, "even if we lose today we are stiill in the middle of a Wildcard Race" but if we win today we are that much closer to our first playoff appearance in 20 + years. Enough of that hogwash - we have arrived, now its time to act like it.

I definitely understand both points, although the way I think about it, the talent level when the Seligs were in charge said: "Hey, here is Jeffrey Hammonds! He will save us from being bad!" "Hey, here is Marquis Grissom!" "Hey, here is Matt Kinney! Jimmy Haynes! Paul Bako is a MUCH better offensive catcher than Henry Blanco, nevermind Blanco throws out half the runners that try and steal on him, now we can lose games 8-6 instead of 4-2!".

We're not putting has beens and never wases out there anymore. If a guy doesn't perform, he's gone. (see: Obermueller, Magruder, Durro, Bottalico). One thing that really showed me we were moving past that whole "at least we tried" attitude was when we cut Kieschnick last year. Kiesch was awesome, but we're past gimmick baseball now. Same with not bringing back Russell "3TO" Branyan. It was fun watching Russ try and tate, but all the strikeouts--not so much.

The flashes of inconsistent play do drive me crazy, but I know it is a long season and we are putting guys out there who will get better over time because they're young and can learn from their mistakes (see: Rickie not booting/throwing into the 5th row every third ball hit to him, me not cringing when Bill Hall plays 3B). Not everyone goes all Albert Pujols and owns from the day he steps in a major league batters box. Frustrating, yes, but that's baseball. The offense may be inconsistent, but they at least are doing something to keep us around .500 considering only 4 of our 12 pitchers on the roster have an ERA under 4.70, and only 3 guys not here (Ohka, CV, Simpson) had ERA's under that (which makes the return of Ohka, Sheets, and George of the strikeout that much more important).

As for the trading thing, It's the beginning of July. You're not going to get anyone worth any immediate value until later in the month when teams start giving up on their seasons and looking to next year unless it is a malcontent/someone struggling who needs to be traded ASAP.

I am confident we are headed in the right direction, and I have faith down the road if these guys don't get the job done, they won't be here. If we can keep doing what we're doing, hopefully Doug can get us something to help as the deadline approaches. If nothing happens, then we can complain... but for now as much as it sucks losing 3 of 4 to the Cubs, at least it was a winning homestand.

EDIT: Spelling.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Hey Badger fan.

First of all i been a fan of the Brewers for a long time

since back in the Days of Jim Slaton.I just believe this team is no better than 500 .i GUESS i am being a realist and got caught up in all the Hype.I also have been here when the Crew has put together a winning streak and also have apolized to Mr Jenkins for Bashing Him earlier in the season.

The thing the gets me is this team has no consistancy at all.

they bulid to get over 500 and watch themselves lose 3-4 aganist a bad cubs team to finish at the Break under 500.

This team can"t play everygame comming from Behind and expect to win.The Brewers in there best intrest should look to trade Carlos Lee for the best deal to get this moving Foward in the 2007.

so i don"t feel like i have to apolize for my comment about how the Brewers are nothing more than a 500 team.

I have also said that the Crew is so inconstant that it could drive you crazy but i don"t remember saying they suck and i also sure i not the only that has been negative.

Archived