Brewer Fanatic

Jim Skaalen -- what does he do for us?

adambr2

I really believe it is time to take a closer look at Skaalen. I know it's hard for us to know what a batting coach really does or how he contributes to the team. I would just really like to know what he positively contributes that makes us a better hitting club, because I see very little that the hitters do that they couldn't accomplish on talent alone.

Skaalen didn't even notice when Hall had been sitting back in his stance and was struggling as a result. This was something Hall realized on his own. Isn't that sort of Skaalen's job?

There is absolutely no evidence that Skaalen sufficiently prepares his lineup to face unfamiliar pitchers. When shut down by Marlins starter Mark Hendrickson earlier this year, Skaalen commented numerous times that "their guy" pitched well. Don't you think that a coach who adequately prepared his lineup to face "their guy" would at least recall his name?

Rickie has looked awful. Braun is impatient. Hart has been awful since the All-Star break. Cameron is having a poor year. Hall has maybe fallen off the map worst of anyone and has probably the worst approach at the plate.

It's not one guy -- it's generally across the board. That was one clear advantage we were supposed to have over the Cubs this year -- a lineup that could rake, probably as good as anyone in the NL other than the Phillies. It's not just the fact that that hasn't happened that makes me think Skaalen is not good at his job -- it's the fact that our lineup is very undisciplined, and the time has come to stop using youth as an excuse. They just don't look professional at all at the plate.

Basically to sum it up.....what does Jim Skaalen do for our lineup that they couldn't accomplish with no hitting coach at all? I would like evidence that there is SOMETHING.

according to Jim Bouton, coaches pretty much do nothing helpful, but maybe that's changed recently. Not sure if Skaalen in particular helps or hurts or is just there. Just there seems most likely to me.

I don't believe I cited a "sudden slump". I believe I mentioned the fact that our offense has fallen far below expectations over the course of the season and also shown very poor plate discipline (.325 team OBP). A sudden slump has nothing to do with it.

The difference between Skaalen and the countless hitting coaches ahead of him is that this team actually has a talented lineup which was supposed to be a top 3 NL offense.

If they don't make the playoffs we could see a significant clubhouse cleaning. There are too many free swinging low average hitters. That's an invitation to prolonged team wide batting slumps like what's happening now and happened the first 6 weeks of the season. The coaching staff also seems to be paralyzed and generally inert this season. Maddux could be the only one who survives. If they don't make the playoffs.

Maybe they should clear out some of the free swinging, low average hitters then. Unless you think a new hitting coach is bringing magic beans with him that can turn or guys into a bunch of selective, high average hitters.

So what is the new hitting coach supposed to do? You think Skaalen is telling them to swing at balls?

Well he very well could be facilitating this, 'Maybe we need to look at our approach at the plate... Nah' crap. I would be fully on-board with getting Skaalen out, and I felt Wynegar's firing was unwarranted. The upside Skaalen supposedly brought was familiarity with the young players. If he's so familiar, maybe he could actually help our batters think about their plan of attack at the plate & how to best use their swings.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So what is the new hitting coach supposed to do? You think Skaalen is telling them to swing at balls?

What is he supposed to do? Well, I'd like him to prepare detailed scouting reports on upcoming pitchers, for one thing, especially pitchers that our lineup hasn't seen before. I'd like him to look for tendencies from the pitcher and be able to at least give the lineup a general briefing on what they can expect.

I'd like for him to review video on our players who are not performing expectations and see if he can give them any additional information on something they may be doing differently that is hurting their swing or approach.

I'd also like him to have our players' vision routinely checked to make sure they are all seeing the ball as well as they could be.

Telling them not to "swing at balls" doesn't really cut it IMO. This is the 21st century and there are plenty of technologies available that can be used to best prepare a lineup and correct a problem. If the job is so simple that any idiot can do it, I guess MLB coaches are very fortunate to be able to collect that free paycheck. I don't know what more evidence there can be of a lack of discipline in the lineup to show that there is indeed a glaring problem.

What is he supposed to do? Well, I'd like him to prepare detailed scouting reports on upcoming pitchers, for one thing, especially pitchers that our lineup hasn't seen before. I'd like him to look for tendencies from the pitcher and be able to at least give the lineup a general briefing on what they can expect.

I'd like for him to review video on our players who are not performing expectations and see if he can give them any additional information on something they may be doing differently that is hurting their swing or approach.

I'd also like him to have our players' vision routinely checked to make sure they are all seeing the ball as well as they could be.

Telling them not to "swing at balls" doesn't really cut it IMO. This is the 21st century and there are plenty of technologies available that can be used to best prepare a lineup and correct a problem. If the job is so simple that any idiot can do it, I guess MLB coaches are very fortunate to be able to collect that free paycheck. I don't know what more evidence there can be of a lack of discipline in the lineup to show that there is indeed a glaring problem.

Please provide me some evidence that shows or proves that Skaalen doesn't do all of that. And please do not use "well look at the approaches at the plate or how they are batting" line because that only proves that the players are hitting poorly. As far as I have heard that is what he does all day is watch film, work on the players swings etc. Again you can give the best advice in the world, but if the person you are giving it to doesn't take it then its worthless.

And you know he isnt already doing this things because...?

I mean really, what is Skaalen not doing that makes you want him fired? He didnt load this team up with high strikeout, low OBP hitters.

Again you can give the best advice in the world, but if the person you are giving it to doesn't take it then its worthless.

Then doesn't this come down to yost and melvin? If the hitting coach is doing everything in his power to help someone and the players can't retain any of it, why is the player even on the team? If a player can't buy into the teams philosophy then he's worthless to the team, IMO, and should be weeded out.

Oyyyyy --- not again. I really had hoped we had gotten rid of this discussion when Wynegar was fired. The only positive that came of it was that we ended all the crapola about how bad our hitting coach was. That lasted a couple years anyway. I guess I should be thankful for that.

Outside the manager (and maybe even over the manager), the hitting coach has got to be the most over-rated guy in an organization. Go ahead, fire Skaalen. Bring in the greatest hitting coach on the planet. It must be the Cubs guy because they've got the highest OBP in the league, or the Rangers guy because they've scored the most runs. Bring him in - whoever it is. I'd be very interested in seeing how much different the team hits over an extended period of time. My guess is that if there was any improvement, it would be very easily attributed to either natural maturation of some young players or a change in personnel.

The hitting coach is not the problem. I'm not even sure that there is a problem. But, I'm 99.5% sure that if there is a problem, the hitting coach is not the solution.

Maybe somebody has some examples of where the firing of one hitting coach and the hiring of another made any meaningful difference?

I think it's worth asking why low average hacks who routinely swing at ball 4 are rewarded with every starts?

The Brewers are going to go with the guys they think are the best players on their roster. For better or worse, that's what they are doing. You could at least make a case for Durham over Weeks but if you think Kapler and Counsell are the answers, you aren't looking at their prior body of work.

i dont know who is to blame, but I have never seen a team that so consistenly watches fastball for strikes early in the count and then swings at curveballs in the dirt. cameron and weeks are the 2 worst offenders. (probably why they are hitting .220 - but thats another subject).

the exception is Prince, who seemingly swings at everything. i know he isnt getting great stuff to hit, but some walks are better than strike outs!!

I think it's worth asking why low average hacks who routinely swing at ball 4 are rewarded with every starts?

The Brewers are going to go with the guys they think are the best players on their roster. For better or worse, that's what they are doing. You could at least make a case for Durham over Weeks but if you think Kapler and Counsell are the answers, you aren't looking at their prior body of work.

I think Counsell should only play as a backup ss and a late inning defensive replacement at 2nd. I never want to see him at 3B again, so I don't hold any illusions about him. Looking at Kapler's prior body of work we see career rate stats of 272/331/423. Cameron's career stats now stand at 249/339/446. The difference isn't all that great. Given Cameron's oba and batting average are running 20 points lower this year than his career rates and his strikeout rate is higher than his career level, I think it's reasonable to suggest giving Kapler a few more starts in CF each week. Cameron is striking out about 30% of the time against righties, and Kapler is crushing lefties in the small sample sized 69 plate appearances.

And of course it is inexcusable Bill Hall is back playing against righties. Branyan was given only 6 plate appearances over the homestand despite reaching base 3 of those PA's, including a home run. I appreciate the team has committed to a certain group of players, but it's the heart of the season. You have to understand your roster and use it to the best advantage each game.

Looking at Kapler's prior body of work we see career rate stats of 272/331/423. Cameron's career stats now stand at 249/339/446

One more thing I think you should look at -- which player spent the bulk of his career in hitters' parks, and which one played the vast majority of his career in pitchers' parks?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived