Brewer Fanatic

We will laugh last

holybannana

I think a lot of you folks have a pretty grounded attitude here, considering the crappy week or so the Brewers have put together. It's a long season and good, great and terrible are going to come and go and unfortunately terrible is happening during a homestand, against a team we really want to beat. However, the general gut feeling I get form reading a lot of posts here is the Brewers are going to be OK. Even between the negativity, I feel a calm resolution to what a lot of people have to say here. And I agree with it. Even though it's happening at the worst possible time.

Look, the Cubs are a good team and so are the Brewers. The series is 5-4 in favor of the Cubs, who have played 3 more home games. 6 more of the disappointing Miller Park crowd counts as a home game in your opinion. But it's 5-4 and it's July. Consider they win tomorrow, which isn't an impossible thought considering the slump the Brewers are in and the rising peak the Cubs are going into right now and the Brewers stand 5 back; exactly where they were a couple weeks ago. Which tells you leads can come in and go in a cocaine heartbeat in this NL Centeral race. As if that title even matters, since the Wild Card is more of a who wants it less kind of race.

So we have played our worst baseball of the year a the very worst time. In July. So what! It sucks but it's totally comical how we have lost a couple of these. It's a matter of what else can go wrong? How lucky can they be? Boy did they get up for their World Series. I mean, perhaps I'm downplaying it but maybe it's all HYPE because the 2 teams in it have a single pennant between them over the last 50 years. So this feels so big. But it's not. It isn't any bigger than a game in April or May. It's certainly smaller than a game in September or dare I say October. And we have that to look forward to.

This team has had a rough go at it for a few weeks now, regardless of what the record says or a basically lucky 4-game sweep of a good St. Louis team provoked in our fantasy's. Fact is this team was lucky to win some of those and has had the luck come back to haunt them in this nightmare home stand. They are playing bad baseball, like any team does a couple times a year at least, and surviving and learning from it. The manager and players have made mistakes but you have to trust they will learn from it. The Cubs are more poised and ready for this, but we have a few months to go to build that confidence back up and get on a streak and catch them at a great time. When it counts more!

I agree with a lot of the sentiment here that the Brewers aren't this bad. And the Cubs aren't this good. Regardless of what the media observed and hypes up. Because it is just that: Hype! This is July hype and nothing more. It stinks, but it's very likely these games won't even be thought of in a few weeks or after a week stretch where they look like themselves and win 5 of 7. This team might have a few more weeks of rough waters ahead. Expect the Cubs to streak for awhile and credit this "miraculous" series as the springboard to their run. But then you must also expect the tables to turn when it matters most and then this team will reap their glory. We must have patience, faith and resolve in withstanding this this beating and the potentially aftereffects including a few disappointing weeks. But hold faith they will put it together when it matter most.

Don't hate Weeks for messing up a play as his bat IS coming together lately. Trust that he will deliver as he has begin to show. Don't frown on Hart for leaving 2394823904823 RISP left hanging. Regression to the mean we must have faith in as soon they will bat everyone in! Don't hate on Braun's bad defensive miscue as he, along with the entire team has been playing badly in the field. Hall, Kendal, Fielder and more have had terrible plays this series and this last week. This is baseball.

This team will take some lumps right now. It is their time to suffer and they have been for the last few weeks. But the pitching has disguised this. It is all catching up right now. But soon this whole entire thing will come together and this team will realize their potential as they have at times this season and when it is most important.

The Chicago Cubs are a very good baseball team. The Milwaukee Brewers are too. One team is streaking and the other is slumping. These tides will change again and when it matters most. We all know this in our hearts. Hang on! It's a wild ride and one we will all remember forever. Everything is being setup for a classic finish!

The only thing I feel in my heart is that the Brewers will always crumble when opportunity knocks. They have for the last 26 years. This series is deja vu all over again with the tail end of the last season. The Cubs get swept by the Marlins and the Brewers sit at home losing more games. Uninspired baseball, uninspired team loaded with guys who have not lived up to their billing. The Brewers will be lucky to snag the WC with this bullpen and RISP hitting.

If the Brewers are lucky enough to be two games ahead of the Cubs heading into the final three against them at Miller Park, I'd put good money on the Brewers blowing the division. And if the Brewers are two games behind, I'd expect no more than two runs a game and a sweep.

Community Moderator

I have that mentality also, where I'm just waiting for them to blow it. Of course I thought we would win at least 2/4, but when we started losing, I just started thinking "same old Brewers".

I do agree that they clearly aren't as bad as they are playing. They are clearly putting too much pressure on themselves, which shows in the poor defense, bad RISP numbers, and their propensity to swing at bad pitches early in the count.

The easy schedule still favors us for the Wild Card, that's what matters right now.

I remember feeling so dejected after we got no-hit last year by Verlander. And then...well we fell short ultimately, but we had a fun ride. There are sure to be more twists and turns this season. Just enjoy the ride.

I just hope that the wild card race at the end of the year is not close. If it is, the Crew will have a very difficult time because, when the pressure is on, this team consistently gives in.

Yeah, like that sweep of the Cardinals on the road... this team has no guts.

Yes, the Cubs aren't this good, and the Brewers aren't this bad. However, the Cubs are a better team than the Brewers, let's not mince words. Better in almost every way. Better and deeper rotation, better bullpen, better and more versatile line-up (score more runs, much higher OBP, etc.), better defense, some would argue a better manager.

I think this series has showcased the Brewers' weaknesses, things that have been lingering all year. Too many hitters with horrible approaches, inconsistent defense, bullpen that struggles to keep the game close when behind, and a manager that is often slow to react and doesn't always use the right players to put them in a position to win every game.

They game planned the Brewers well. Last night for instance, I remember Hart's first 2 AB's there wasn't a single strike thrown to him. Not a single one. Zambrano touched on this last year saying something along the lines of the Brewers aren't smart hitters and they'll strike themselves out.

Bill Hall touched on it last night when he said it seems like all we get are sliders and maybe we need to start taking them.

This team swung at so many balls. Especially lately.

They've been slumping for awhile and it's catching up with them now. Somehow they swept the Cardinals and didn't play well. They didn't hit their starters at all. They basically ate of the Cards wretched bullpen that apparently is a slump buster.

But this team has been kinda crappy for a few weeks now. Some of it has been covered up due to left handed pitching, but its caught up. Since the Colorado series in fact. They just peaked in their crappiness this series. Things haven't fallen their way much at all. But it all feels "right" to this delusional Brewers fan. It feels like right now is a good time to be losing. Like you want to be down now so you can get up later in August and into September. And I don't think it will be too late.

2 months of ball left. The Cubs have another (hopefully mistimed) slump in them and the Brewers should peak again. Right now is the time to be doing these things. To have hijinks on the bases and ineptitude in the field. To have ungodly numbers with RISP, to not draw walks and to push every wrong button as a manager.

They game planned the Brewers well. Last night for instance, I remember Hart's first 2 AB's there wasn't a single strike thrown to him. Not a single one. Zambrano touched on this last year saying something along the lines of the Brewers aren't smart hitters and they'll strike themselves out.

Bill Hall touched on it last night when he said it seems like all we get are sliders and maybe we need to start taking them.

This team swung at so many balls. Especially lately.

This seemed to be the strategy against them the first 6 weeks of the season. Either the Brewers were able to overcome and adjust or they just started playing crappy teams who couldn't execute for the second 6 weeks of the season.

Braun is the only guy who can thrive in this league swinging at every pitch. Prince is getting a bad rap from fans, but he's the only one patient enough to be willing to take a walk. Problem is, the hitters that follow swing at those bad pitches, so they'll just keep walking Prince.

It infuriates me that Bill Hall would just now be realizing what is happening. He has more experience in the league than most hitters on this roster. He should have been making these adjustments a year ago.

This seemed to be the strategy against them the first 6 weeks of the season. Either the Brewers were able to overcome and adjust or they just started playing crappy teams who couldn't execute for the second 6 weeks of the season.

Braun is the only guy who can thrive in this league swinging at every pitch. Prince is getting a bad rap from fans, but he's the only one patient enough to be willing to take a walk. Problem is, the hitters that follow swing at those bad pitches, so they'll just keep walking Prince.

It infuriates me that Bill Hall would just now be realizing what is happening. He has more experience in the league than most hitters on this roster. He should have been making these adjustments a year ago.

I don't have data to back anything up but form casual (albiet biased) observation, it looks like the Cubs by and large were throwing a ton of balls. They were basically going for the corners and black every single time knowing that they would either get a called strike or a crappy hit or the batter would probably swing at it and miss if it was outside the zone. The Cubs' pitchers have executed this well it would appear. They aren't even getting close to the middle of the plate knowing full well this team will smash the lights out of the ball. They aren't scared to throw at outside and inside corners and high and low even when behind because the Brewers do just fine getting themselves out.

Brewers are slumping and being taken advantage of. It happens every year. I'm not trying to downplay this but it's a series in July. The team hasn't batted well for awhile now and can't seem to get a clutch hit at all. And I think part of it is they aren't taking bad pitches. A little while back they walked a bit more and forced teams into pitching to them. The team has a poor strategy and a bad approach at the plate right now. They haven't seen a 3-2 pitch they don't want to hit.

Compare to the Cubs approach which seems to be more along the line of be willing to strike out looking if you don't get your pitch. The make the pitcher work and throw pitches and this will only lead to pitcher mistakes and meatballs which they are smashing all over the place.

With Rich Harden up today, they need to just let him throw balls. He uses a lot of pitches to get people out and he's on a pitch count. They need to take walks and strike out looking instead of weakly grounding out to short. The more pitches you see the more likely it is you get one that's dead red and very hittable.

Good observations.

And I think part of it is they aren't taking bad pitches. A little while back they walked a bit more and forced teams into pitching to them.
A little while back Russell Branyan played most games.

It seems like the Cardinals series got the idea into the Brewers minds that they can go for homers in every AB and win every game in the late innings with one swing of the bat. A month ago we were a bit more modest in our approach and that must return; hopefully, this series is the wake-up call.

After three must-win games lost, we must win this one! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Good observations.

And I think part of it is they aren't taking bad pitches. A little while back they walked a bit more and forced teams into pitching to them.
A little while back Russell Branyan played most games.

That's kinda true. It seems like whenever Hall has been a day-to-day starter this team has stunk on offense. Maybe it's time to get Branyon back in there?

That's kinda true. It seems like whenever Hall has been a day-to-day starter this team has stunk on offense. Maybe it's time to get Branyon back in there?

I know this isn't the lineup thread, so I won't type a full one, but I've been waiting to see how long it will take Yost to go Fielder-Braun-Branyan against RHP 3-4-5. I know it'd probably have a minimal impact, but at this point we need all the help we can get.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's wilting under the pressure of big games and pennant chases that is rearing its ugly head again.

In 2005, yes the team wasn't that great, but the finished before the AS break 4 games over .500. What did they do in the second half? Worst second half after the all-star break by any team in MLB history.

In 2007, they get up 8.5 games on the Cubs. They completely meltdown at the end of the year, the Braves and Cardinals series specifically come to mind where the team and Yost just completely lost it.

Now, in 2008, you're seeing it again. The team is rushing everything and not thinking in games that matter. Meanwhile, Yost is just sitting there with a dumbfounded look on his face, almost as if he expects this to happen.

It's a terrible team under pressure. That is why those expecting it to get better as we get deeper and deeper into the season I think are going to be disappointed.

They really don't do well when the chips are down and the game gets serious. Have they responded to pressure at all ever? Just looking back on that record last August is terrible. 9-17 in August crushing their post season dreams! Terrible. July was bad too. Ouch.

They've had a great July this year. 15-11 isn't too shabby. 16-10 on June. 13-16 in May. 15-12 in April. That's pretty consistent play. So they're certainly more consistant than last year where they were the most volatile team around. We should get to 90 wins this year. Is that enough for the Wild Card?

It's probably overly optimistic to say that Brewer fans will have the "last laugh". After what happened this week against the Cubs, the Brewers have been exposed to have glaring deficiencies in both character and ability. (I dont mean personal character...more of a "makeup" kind of issue).

I would predict, that in the end, the Brewers will have improved over last year, but finish third in the division, and out of the Wild Card spot. I'm going with Phillies, Mets (WC), Cubs, Diamondbacks. Brewers win 86 games.

This road stretch could be brutal on the team. Suppan appears to not be getting better at all. The pitching platoon is not working well. And Sheets appears to be slowing into August. Fielder (apart from his childish outburst yesterday), Braun and Sabathia are the things to hang your hopes on. But without better defense and a reliable bullpen, I think its time to start thinking about next year. (And yes, I realize there are two months left to go in this season, I just dont see it happening for the Brewers this year).

If I had to make my prediction for the season, I'd still say the cubs win the division and the Brewers win the wildcard. Which means that if both the brewers and cubs each win their first playoff series, they would play in the NLCS. It'll be tough to come back 5 games in August and September, so it might be a bit easier to beat them in a 7-game series in october, which would truly be the last laugh.

Archived