Brewer Fanatic

Back to UW-Whitewater I go...

jaybird2001wi

It's been a good three years since I last was a student at UW-Whitewater and I just got re-admitted to the school two weeks ago and am waiting on my Financial Aid. I am going to feel awfully weird walking around campus as an eventual 26-year-old fifth year senior since there probably is NO ONE left since I last was a student there and may be in classes with students who were born in 1990 (I was in second or third grade when they were born, heck I don't even remember). All I have left are 17 credits (3 credits remain on my minor, 3-5 credits on a math or science course, 1 credit of Phys ed and then the remaining can be filled out by crap 100-level courses) to graduate. I am probably not the first or last 26-year-old guy to return to school but man am I going to feel old when I realize most of the freshmen were just 11-12 years old when I was a freshman there. What makes matters worse is although I will be 26 in October, I got the receding hairline of a 35-year-old guy and can grow facial hair to look like a 40-year-old so I feel like I am going to get weird looks.

I know the University Center was renovated, three or four buildings are torn down and students still complain about parking on campus. Anything else I should look out for?

Lechner is still around? Ugh, I remember when he was considered "old" even when I was a sophomore/junior at UWW. I would have thought he'd leave by now. Last time I spoke to him was at Pumpers and Mitchells like four years ago when he wanted to punch me out for joining an "anti-Lechner" facebook group.

I was in second or third grade when they were born, heck I don't even remember

It's ok..I would bet that they remember even less than you do of the early 90's. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Honestly, I wouldn't let stuff like this bother you. You have a plan in place. Take your classes, do well on your exams, and you'll earn that degree that you've always wanted. I feel you've mentioned it on this board for long enough..I say you go out and do it!

The guys/girls that may or may not give you that awkward glance every now and then - you'll never see them again in your life, and if by chance you do, you won't care because you'll be proud of what you've achieved.

Just finished up my freshman year there and the University Center is really nice, and there's a ton of stuff to do in it.... i transferred though because i couldn't deal with how boring that city is

I graduated in 2004 and the year before that they had renovated the Williams Center and put in an awesome indoor track and weight room. I think I used to pay $90 for a sememster's use of the facilities. I pay $90 a month now for my wife and me at the WAC.

I'm thinking about going back to UNLV at 28 - the only thing I'm worried about is making sure I can stick with it and finish what I set out to do while maintaining my full-time job and on-call job on top.

While the social aspect is there, it has no bearing on my scholastic success. Just remember to stay focused on what you are there for.

edit: with the 'single' thread also created by you, one might have the idea that you are going back to school with the idea of finding someone while you are there. Let that take a back seat to your studies. Things like that just happen when you least expect them to.

If you think of it this way Jay; how old are you going to be if you don't do it now and put it off? Just go and get the job done. I was 27 when I finished my undergrad, actually had a much more mature approach at that point in life. I'm sure it will go well.

Jaybird, I think you are making a huge deal out of nothing. In this day of age you are proably more in the norm. The weirder you act about it, the weirder you are going to feel. Don't even tell people how old you are....nobody will even notice or care.

Congrats to you, Jay. . .You made a wise decision, and when you're finished with school, you'll be extra-proud of the accomplishment.

Best of luck to you from this 1985 Whitewater graduate.

And it took me 5.5 years to get my act together. . .

I graduated this past December from Whitewater at the age of 28. Sure I was probably the oldest person in all of my classes, but I thought that was a good thing. I could just concentrate on my classes without any of the distractions that doomed me when I was 18-21. The only bad part was working on group projects...I got stuck doing everything. Luckily I had all my core classes out of the way so I only had to take classes that applied to my major. My first go round of college was a complete disaster, barely sustaining a 2.0 GPA. Took 4 years off, figured out what I really wanted to do, and my last 3 semesters were the complete opposite. I doubt anybody cares about how old you are unless you plan on hanging around the dorms looking to party.

Hey Jason, was that anti-lechner group mine? It was either mine or Judah's. We both made one. Either way, good job on going back. I spent more time there than you and have less credits. I'll easily be 30 before I graduate from wherever I transfer, because I have my job now, and soon to be house, so don't worry about it. Make sure you try out the Sushi place across from Double Dip if you haven't yet. That is the cheapest in price, highest quality sushi you'll ever find. Salmon Katsu is my favorite. Then there's always the Boar......

Archived