Brewer Fanatic

Record attendance and TV ratings

AJAY

From the article: "According to the Brewers, fans in 42 states have some kind of season-ticket package. Fans in all 50 states have bought individual game tickets."

I thought that was cool.

Thanks for the link AJAY, that was a fun read.

Also from the article: "The team also has become a ratings hit on television as well. Since the Brewers traded for pitcher CC Sabathia on July 7, the team has averaged a 10.74 local rating during 15 telecasts. On Monday night, the Brewers-Cubs telecast on FSN earned a 16.22 rating, making it the team's highest-rated game ever on FSN. That rating equates to 143,838 households."

That TV number is incredible. The next TV contract should be an interesting story to follow.

It kinda sucks that they're doing all this and losing badly. For instance, they've had a great string of sellouts lately but they've lost 9 of 13. So all these people are watching and paying a lot of money to go to games and such and the team has absolutely blown at home.

Now, that road trip was a lot of fun for the TV audience which is cool. And that has to give hope to the casual observer. But why can't these guys win at home? Especially when everyone is watching and its a packed house? I think I answered my own question there...

Heh.

Small samples do exist in a week of baseball...over the last 2 weeks, the team is 8-6, almost exactly what you'd expect. Sure, some folks will overreact to that, but some folks overreact to everything. Earlier this year, it was "why can't they win on the road?", and now that they are over .500, folks are taking what they can.

Sadly, with winning comes a boatload of casual fans into the mix...that's what has added to the crowds and ratings. However, expectations are now ridiculous. This is a team that has the 2nd best record in the NL at the moment. 14 teams would be happy to exchange records, so ignorance like Tom H is writing pretty much just shows how out of touch he is.

Of course, he reported Yost got fired earlier this year...it's difficult taking anything he says seriously.

Sadly, with winning comes a boatload of casual fans into the mix...that's what has added to the crowds and ratings.

Why is that sad again? Do you expect everyone to be a hardcore Brewers nerd like we all are here? The good thing for Mark A and the Brewers is that everyone's money counts, whether they are considered casual fans or not.

Why is that sad again? Do you expect everyone to be a hardcore Brewers nerd like we all are here? The good thing for Mark A and the Brewers is that everyone's money counts, whether they are considered casual fans or not.

Yeah I know, I never understood the elitist attitude. Can you really blame people for having other interests than this miserable organization over the last 12 years before the last few? I thought the idea was to have as many fans as possible.

I've wavered a bit on this issue and haven't come up with a great answer. I guess in my opinion you have to have at least a clue what your talking about if you claim to be a fan. I don't care that much when you joined on to be a fan, but you should at least be able to name most of the pitchers, our starting lineup, and our top 2-3 prospects. I know that sounds easy to us, but you would be shocked to find the people that can't do that.

There was also an article in the Capital Times about this.

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/brewers/298901

Here is the kicker from that article:

"FSN Wisconsin plans to broadcast every Brewers game in HD in 2009 as Fox transitions its 16 regional sports networks, including FSN Wisconsin, into round-the-clock HD telecasts in the first quarter of 2009."

Archived