Brewer Fanatic

Has Sabathia Had a Poor Effect on Sheets?

After last night's poor start against a team he regularly pitches very well against, I am beginning to wonder if the acquisition of C.C. Sabathia has had a poor effect on Sheets. Since July 8, 2008, he has given up 3, 4, 3, and 6 runs consecutively and has only made it through the seventh inning once (something he did in over half of his starts leading up to this date).

Am I looking too much into this? I just hope he isn't injured and is just holding out on the Brewers due to various factors (free agent year, playoff race, etc.). I just hope that he can regain form for the last two months so that he and Sabathia can be the devestating 1-2 punch we were hoping for when we acquired Sabathia.

I don't think one has anything to do with the other. It seems that Sheets always starts off hot and then cools off the second half of the season. He also pitches poorly when matching up with Zambrano. Does anyone have numbers to support this?

His two starts before that, he got hit pretty hard against Minnesota, and then gave up double digit hits to Pittsburgh even though I think he only allowed one run. I'm guessing it's just a coincidence.

I had these same thoughts as well. His velocity is fine and last night his curveball looked good, although I will admit that in watching him in his previous start his curveball looked to me more like a slider than Ben's typical 12-6 breaker. Last night though his stuff was really good. He has not been very good over his past 4-5 starts and I really don't know the reason.

In at least a couple recent starts (Colorado and the Cubs), Sheets has hit 96 on several occasions. It seems like he might be overthrowing right now. Is it because of Sabathia? Who knows.

All just speculation.

Archived