Brewer Fanatic

Nelson Cruz: putting up huge numbers; Latest-- Cruz to Japan? Also, Lew Ford still sucks (reply #54ish)

Just to follow up, that MLE calculator of Dan Szymborski's that kramnoj found during the Nelson debate has Cruz putting up the equivalent of a .310 BA, .388 OBP, and .631 SLG. That's an OPS of 1.019 which would rank him 2nd in the AL. His OBP would be tied for 9th and his SLG would be 1st. My own MLE's have him at about a .930 OPS (not including Texas's park factor but including Oklahoma's) which would put him 6th in the AL.

Now, I'm not saying Cruz is legitimately somewhere between the 2nd and 6th best hitter in the AL. I'm just saying that he is a good player and one that should be given a legit shot to play somewhere. This is only his age 27 season, it's not like he's Roberto Petagine or something. I think he is a productive ML player now and will be for several years.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to follow up, that MLE calculator of Dan Szymborski's that kramnoj found during the Nelson debate has Cruz putting up the equivalent of a .310 BA, .388 OBP, and .631 SLG. That's an OPS of 1.019 which would rank him 2nd in the AL. His OBP would be tied for 9th and his SLG would be 1st. My own MLE's have him at about a .930 OPS (not including Texas's park factor but including Oklahoma's) which would put him 6th in the AL.

Now, I'm not saying Cruz is legitimately somewhere between the 2nd and 6th best hitter in the AL. I'm just saying that he is a good player and one that should be given a legit shot to play somewhere. This is only his age 27 season, it's not like he's Roberto Petagine or something. I think he is a productive ML player now and will be for several years.

Cruz is 28 years old and has shown little in the majors. He could stick on a team with a bad offense or a team looking to rebuild. He strikes out a lot in the minors, almost 1/4 of the time, so he will likely strike out more and walk less in the bigs. Once that happens his power numbers will go way down. I think he will be at best a 4/5 OF, but he could get some starts on a bad team that is in desperate need of a bat.

He strikes out about the same as Matt Gamel does and everybody thinks he's a lock for the majors.

Cruz is 28 years old and has shown little in the majors. He could stick on a team with a bad offense or a team looking to rebuild. He strikes out a lot in the minors, almost 1/4 of the time, so he will likely strike out more and walk less in the bigs. Once that happens his power numbers will go way down. I think he will be at best a 4/5 OF, but he could get some starts on a bad team that is in desperate need of a bat.

He strikes out about the same as Matt Gamel does and everybody thinks he's a lock for the majors.

Well he has actually struck out one more time in over 70 less at bats so that is a decent difference in K's, not to mention the fact that he has 4 more years of minor league ball experience and is 6 years older, so his strike outs should be much lower.

Well he has actually struck out one more time in over 70 less at bats so that is a decent difference in K's, not to mention the fact that he has 4 more years of minor league ball experience and is 6 years older, so his strike outs should be much lower.

Ryan Ludwick was considered a 4A player for years until he was finally given a real shot with the cardinals last year. Now look at him. You never know with players like Cruz. Which is why he will still keep getting a job in the minors and occasional opportunities in the majors.

Ryan Ludwick was considered a 4A player for years until he was finally given a real shot with the cardinals last year. Now look at him. You never know with players like Cruz. Which is why he will still keep getting a job in the minors and occasional opportunities in the majors.

Archived