Brewer Fanatic

7/14/06 - Brewers (Davis) @ Diamonbacks (Batista) 8:40 PM CT

bullox

Anyone else here think the closer role is severely overrated. You can have a flawless 30/30 saves; yet have a 18.00 ERA. How hard is it to have a reliever come in for one inning, where we have a lead; and hold it? That's the only reason I was dissapointed when we signed turnbow so long. I love Turnbow; but I do not believe he's worth the money. I have to agree with Russ here; although the stats say wonders; you watch him last year, and he wasn't as good as his stats. He got countless double plays and lucky plays defensively to get out of jams. Now one can say he induced all that; but he definitely was not as dominant as the stats say.

GO CAPPY TOMORROW

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's all cool off for a day and look for Yost to make adjustments and see if he makes moves that are easy for us to see.

First of all, where is Koskie? Is he still dizzy? He definitely helps the lineup with his solid plate discipline. We had ZERO walks today and constantly swung early in the count.

Second, do not let Turnbow close until he can throw his slider for a strike. Let Capellan try.

Third, do not let Brady step his sorry butt onto the field. He is clearly no value to us or on the trade market.

Fourth, start evaluating Wynegar. What does he bring to the team? Why has the team constantly struggled during his regime to score with RISP?

I wasn't the only one saying negative things about this team.

I know. I was/am, as well. It's just that that's all you do. Seriously. You post in IGT's about how the team sucks. This whole "I am speaking the truth" thing is a joke. Where do you get this "quest for mediocrity" thing from? They're every bit as much in the race as they were yesterday. That's the truth. What do you want them to do? Trade Weeks for Arthur Rhodes and Rheal Cormier? Man. If there's a trade that benefits the team, Melvin will make it. It's not like he's incompetent.

Fourth, start evaluating Wynegar. What does he bring to the team? Why has the team constantly struggled during his regime to score with RISP?

That's simple. We have a bunch of free-swingers who don't listen to him and alter their swings with 2 strikes on them (Hall, Jenkins, Miller, Weeks). The sad part is...they're all starters for us. Blame Butch that these guys can't hit when they're down in the count. Sounds logical to me.

More on Wynegar...

Come to think of it. Look at what he has done since he got here...

Jenkins regressed

Hardy constantly changed his approach. Last year walks and Ks nearly even. This year striking out 4 to 1 before injury.

Fielder out of whack

Hall seems lost

Clark stinks (I won't blame that on Wynegar)

Moeller went from bad to atrocious

The only solid hitter is Lee and that's because he is stubborn and will not listen to Wynegar at all.

It reminds me of what happens when players play under the Dusty staff of coaches. While they are there-they suck. Trade them and they become serviceable once they are properly coached.

we are were we are because the cards seemed to can"t get it together,but if they go on a big winning Streak we can kiss our Playoff chance Bye Bye

I still don't understand why you capitalize half of your nouns. Anyway, how does the Cardinals going on a winning streak have anything to do with us not winning the wildcard?

Seriously. You post in IGT's about how the team sucks. This whole "I am speaking the truth" thing is a joke. Where do you get this "quest for mediocrity" thing from?

The mediocrity thing comes from the fact that when a team sees the Brewers on the schedule, they just think, "eh ok Milwaukee...whatever." I can't imagine another team's broadcast crew saying, watch out the Brewers are coming to town! We are an average team in the MLB. Plain and simple. Living outside of the bubble that is Milwaukee, let me just tell you all a secret...no one cares that the Brewers exist. They don't really mean anything to the league as a whole and are seen as a "Seattle Mariners, a Baltimore Orioles, an Arizona Diamondbacks" type of team. Outside of their own market, they really don't strike fear in the opposing team. Until we establish ourselves in the free agent market, retain key players, and at least be in the divisional hunt or attain the wild card, we're just a glorified version of the Kansas City Royals. And that's the truth!!!

What about when Lee sucked last year for three months? Was that when he was stupidly listening to Wynegar, or something?

Some of those guys (Fielder, Hall) are just in your basic slump that every hitter goes through. Hardy only had 130 or so AB's, and last year hit better when he wasn't afraid to strike out and tried to pull the ball. Jenkins had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Clark still has a .370 something OBP, his power is down. Moeller just sucks.

It ain't Wynegar's fault. It's the hand he's dealt.

Bucksman

You are a bit harsh, but true in a few respects. As I travel for my job, alot of times we will go out for functions with people all over the country. They do not really care about the Brewers and don't deem them as a threat. Usually, they will bring up Robin, Molly, and Rollie and say we have a great nickname.

However, who cares what other people think. I enjoy being a rare Brewers fan in Chicago and I believe we will have our day sooner or later and it will be the sweetest thing ever. I don't know if you are a Packers fan, but that year they won was awesome because I was a puching bag for Dallas and Bears fans for years.

Our day will come...probably not this year...but it will.

The mediocrity thing comes from the fact that when a team sees the Brewers on the schedule, they just think, "eh ok Milwaukee...whatever." I can't imagine another team's broadcast crew saying, watch out the Brewers are coming to town! We are an average team in the MLB. Plain and simple. Living outside of the bubble that is Milwaukee, let me just tell you all a secret...no one cares that the Brewers exist. They don't really mean anything to the league as a whole and are seen as a "Seattle Mariners, a Baltimore Orioles, an Arizona Diamondbacks" type of team. Outside of their own market, they really don't strike fear in the opposing team. Until we establish ourselves in the free agent market, retain key players, and at least be in the divisional hunt or attain the wild card, we're just a glorified version of the Kansas City Royals. And that's the truth!!!

Have you tried getting a girlfriend? Spicing up your marriage? Taking up croquet? Collecting cookie jars? I mean seriously, vomiting your constant criticism and harassment towards this organization, even if somewhat warranted, in a small fan forum seems a bit pathetic. I think you just get off on being the irrational outkast, or as you probably see it, the "voice of truth."

Brettac

Are you going to back up Brady Clark. If one player has gone down the tubes this year, it is him. So what if his OBP is high because he has low runs scored and is the worst batter on the team with runners on base. Have you seen how many times he has hit the ball hard this year? Everything is a soft fly or a chopper. How many extra base hits does he have? I know he does not hit homers, but at least he could get a gapper once and awhile.

And please don't give me any sabermetrics for him. If we do that you will have to bring sabermetric legends Keith ginter, 3TO, and Ben grieve back then too because they are so good at Billy Ball.

Ohh, and about Wynegar...

Is he totally to blame for this? No, he is not. However, sometimes it is good to shake things up and midseason and batting coaches are often good scapegoats. Sometimes it sends a message, most of the time it doesn't. Many times it means nothing. So what do the Brewers really lose if they dump him? Nothing...but there is a slight chance they can gain something.

Since when is OBP a sabermetric? There's value in getting on base, no matter what. He's not as good as he was last year, obviously. How many runs do you expect a 8th place hitter to score? That's a horrible stat to use to evaluate a player. Heck, look at Lance Berkman, he only has 49 runs scored and he's been on base 150+ times and driven himself in 24 times. I guess he doesn't know how to score runs.

I didn't say Clark had power - I said it was down, but it's really the only thing that is down for him. I just don't get why Wynegar gets blamed for a 33 year old journeyman's loss of power.

Well, I just got back from the game and I'll say it was a good game to attend. Now, of course, I can say this because I am a D-Backs fan also, but as I told countless people tonight, these are my 3 games that I get to cheer someone else.

I had a blast watching Prince show some hustle, Jenkins take one the other way (he was working on it alot during BP), and the bullpen (minus one reliever who shall remain un-named) do it's job quite well.

DD appeared pretty off in the first inning. Pitches all over the zone made me feel it would be a long night, but he did finally "settle down", sort of, as he kept them in the game.

I liked the intensity of the offense except for Carlos Lee, who looked to be hitting the ball to Flagstaff every at-bat. The DP ground out was one thing but his massive popup/flyball outs were big on air but small on distance. Of course, there was that one inning (6th?) that Lee, Prince, and Hall all skyed balls to the rafters only to be caught in the mid-outfield range.

As for that aforementioned reliever that shall not be named, I didn't see one breaking ball. Four pitches, four fastballs. 98, 97, 97, 99. Ball game. Exciting game for the DBacks. Not so exciting for the Brewers.

I was happy to see so many Brewer fans there. I must have counted at least 100 in Brewer garb there, so that was nice. Usually, it seems like I'm the only one.

Well, that's all. Time to get one back tomorrow night. I'll be there again. Go Brewers!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I don't know if you are a Packers fan, but that year they won was awesome because I was a puching bag for Dallas and Bears fans for years.

Yes, I am a Packers fan and live in Chicago as well. I love the fact the Cubs are sucking it up and the Sox are World Champs.

Riebes24....all I can say to you is....I have a girlfriend. Sorry that my truthful comments spark such animosity from you.

The truth hurts???

OBP is not a sabermetric by itself. I'm sorry about that. But his OBP says nothing about what he is TRULY doing for the team. I assume you are watching the games and remember one big hit...I believe it was a homer against the Nationals when Wise blew it the next inning...but Clark has been awful beyond that. He will be an afterthought two years from now and will be a trivia question that we laugh about in years to come.

Signing Turnbow to a longer extension had risk,but he at least had the upside of a 98mph fastball and youth.Giving Brady a second year i just didn't understand,i can't remember the last time i saw him hit a ball hard and he's not exactly a swift centerfielder with a good arm.

What truth? The Brewers aren't feared? What does that even mean? Who is feared? They're a pretty decent team, they just have to get their Fear Factor higher - I say replace Wynegar with Joe Rogan.

What a joke. These players are grown men and professionals, I don't think they fear other teams. And, seeing you live in Chicago, you live closer to "the bubble" than I do. I'm over 300 miles away.

Brettac...

I think Joe Rogan could do a ample job as our batting coach. Good call!

Since we are nominating pitching coaches, I'm also thinking Gorman or Rob Deer since they had two of the prettiest swings I ever saw.

Archived