Brewer Fanatic

7/14/06 - Brewers (Davis) @ Diamonbacks (Batista) 8:40 PM CT

bullox
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am glad Doug Melvin is sitting there in the front row watching this happen. Maybe it will wake him up and he can start to deal for some bullpen relief like the Reds have done. Wake up Doug. The bullpen you have assembled sucks!

Blame the offense too. They didn't really do enough either.

Don't take the onus off Turnbow. Bottom line is he had a lead and he didn't do his job. His almost 5 ERA is pathetic for a closer. Maybe a 96-97 MPH fastball right down the middle isn't as unhittable as some of us may think. Just ask Mr. Estrada and Mr. Gonzalez.

Come on, isn't some idiot going to say Davis doesn't know how to win and sucks?

I love that bucksman posts not a once when the Brewers are in the lead, then immediately jumps in when they lose. Vintage.

He's gone Lidge on us.

Turnbow can't go Lidge because he never was Lidge to begin with. He was OK last year but much of his success was simply good fortune. I was hoping he could build on his modest success from last year but it simply hasn't happened yet. I wasn't happy when Melvin signed him to an extension and Turnbow certainly has done nothing to change my opinion.

2006: The year the bullpen cost us the wildcard.

Thsi team is no where near a playoff caliber team.

I love that bucksman posts not a once when the Brewers are in the lead, then immediately jumps in when they lose. Vintage.

He is exhibit "A" as to why ezboard needs an ignore list.

Guys, I was so excited when we finally got a game over .500 against the Cubs last week and I really was starting to believe. However, I told my brother that the turning point was Bill Hall hitting into a DP and us scoring no runs after we loaded the bases. This one is hard to swallow and am hard pressed to believe anymore. I am not jumping off because of one game, but because this continues to happen and who says it will stop. Turnbow should not close until he shows he can get the curve over. If he can, he is dominate. If not, he is subpar. We have no one else who can close unless we just hand the ball to Capellan and see what he can do. I do see improvement from him and it would not hurt to try.

Also, sorry all you Carlos lovers, but he needs to be traded for someone like Billingsly. Then we probably will officially be out for the year, but can be players in free agency in the off season.

Agreed brettac.

Some people like to dwell on the negative more than others. The loss hurts and the last thing I want to read is some guy posting "I told you so" when the Brewers lose.

Oh well, we could be watching the Bucks and the joke that is the NBA. Usually when we count the Brewers out, they surprise us, only to tear our beating hearts out of our chest yet again.

Quote:
He was OK last year but much of his success was simply good fortune.

Huh?

He was 7-1 with a 1.74 ERA and had 39 saves in 43 opportunities. If that's "OK" I don't know if MLB's ever seen "great."

I still can't believe how much he's completely lost it though. Why does it seem like all of our closers have one good year and then go downhill from there?

I posted that one for you, buddy. I'm sorry I only get worked up when our "all-star" closer sucked it up yet again for us. Hey I was reading through the comments after the game and believe it or not, as hard as it may be to fathom, I wasn't the only one saying negative things about this team. Re-read. You'll find that I am speaking the truth. GO BREWERS.......toward our neverending quest to sustain mediocrity in Milwaukee! Start dealing Doug! Make Attanasio put his money where his mouth is. What the heck do you have to lose? Spend some money....why not at this point?

Hey Canada, stick it where the sun don't shine. As I said, it breaks my heart. Anyone gloating about a tough Brewer loss doesn't belong on this board. At minimum, horrible choice of words on your part.

My point is that, while the future is very bright, this team is pretty clearly a year or two away. Feel free to disagree, but don't question my loyalty to the Crew, especially after what I just had to stomach.

Quote:
He was OK last year but much of his success was simply good fortune.

I completely agree with that. Turnbow never had many clean and easy saves. Most of the time he was in jams and got very lucky to get out of them. Even though he was piling up the saves, I never felt comfortable with him.

Quote:
Your telling me with an average bullpen this team wouldn't be near a playoff team in a weak national league?

That's the sad thing. We very much could be a playoff team this year. Hell, look where we are right now with the bullpen we have.

Kolb was a fluke in his all-star year. You don't often experience much success when you have more saves than K's in a season. The small sample size of relief pitchers blurs reality. Look at Todd Jones. He had a 2.10 ERA last year - this year it's 5.66. And he was pretty legit last year. Basically, a lot of pitchers are capable of a dominant stretch of 40 innings.

Archived