Brewer Fanatic

Is Ryan Braun a Gold Glove Winner in 2008?

So far

He is among the league leaders in outfield assists and FPCT. I understand his range is smaller than some other outfielders, and that gold gloves don't always go to the players with the best FPCT. I still think that Braun has to be a contender for a Gold Glove. What do you think?

Gold gloves don't go to the players with the best fielding percentage, nor should they. As you acknowledged yourself, Braun's range is still average. He has misplayed several singles into extra-base-hits, including Fukudome's triple last night. Don't get me wrong--Braun has made tremendous strides this year and I look forward to his continued improvement for years. In fact, I think if Hart were needed in center Braun could slide into right field and hold his own. But to answer the point of your post, no, Braun should not be in serious consideration for a gold glove. If we were to go through the Brewers in a gold glove discussion, it would get really quiet after Jason Kendall, and I'm not sure even that conversation would be long.

I have a very small sample size in terms of observation. But he made three fairly sizable blunders in the game last night alone. No errors, but on the balls hit by Fukudome, Ramirez and Fontenot he made very poor plays. Not the mark of a Gold Glove winner. The guy sure can hit though.

I didn't get to watch the game last night...but I did see the Fukudome triple clip. What besides that makes you say this? Everyone out in the outfield makes a judgement call like that, if he catches it he gets an out and saves a run.

edit.. know that I see the posts before mine I understand what sargen is getting at

The Fukudome triple clip was the biggest blunder possible. If he catches the ball there is no way he stops the first run from scoring on the tag from third. Strong as his arm my be he isn't throwing anyone out while sprawled on the ground. At best he MIGHT hold the second runner from tagging. If he backs off and stops that ball from going to the wall he still concedes one run. But he avoids the disasterous result of the ball getting by him and a man on third with no outs and two runs conceded. It pretty much assured the Cubs a 4 run lead instead of a 2 run lead. And in a game like last night's every run is like an ounce of gold.

Yost himself said that he misplayed the Ramirez drive - so enough there.

On Fontenot he just got a horrible jump on the ball - which is a clear misplay. That one would have been caught by many left fielders.

Great hitter. I'm sure he's a fair fielder. But Gold Glovers are the best of the best. Look at Soriano. He led the league in assists last year. No one in their right mind would call him a gold glover.

The timing of this thread might not be the best after last night's game. When I saw it, I was thinking - should the title be in blue?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think he could win won eventually, but there is just no way this yea. I know voters seem to like offensive production when determining defensive awards so at least he has that going for him.

I don't think any BRewer has a chance at a GG this year. The only two remotely close would be Kendall and Hardy. I think Molina will win the catchers gold glove, not sure who will win SS.

2007 NL GG winners in the OF: Carlos Beltran Jeff Francoeur Andruw Jones Aaron Rowand

2006: Carlos Beltran Mike Cameron Andruw Jones

2005: Bobby Abreu Jim Edmonds Andruw Jones

2004: Jim Edmonds Steve Finley Andruw Jones

2003: Jose Cruz Jim Edmonds Andruw Jones

2002: Jim Edmonds Andruw Jones Larry Walker

Looks like it's mostly CF'ers and after you win the first time, you have a good chance to keep winning every year. The Gold Glove is perhaps the stupidest voting procedure of all sports awards.

Hitting SHOULD have nothing to do with it. If you play every day and are a great fielder you should be considered.

And Braun shouldn't win the gold glove, he makes mistakes out there (like last night) that aren't on the stats. But he certainly has the potential in his career to win one.

Hitting SHOULD have nothing to do with it. If you play every day and are a great fielder you should be considered.

And Braun shouldn't win the gold glove, he makes mistakes out there (like last night) that aren't on the stats. But he certainly has the potential in his career to win one.

It shouldn't but everyone knows it does. It's not really an award for the best defenders in the league, it's an award for a good defender out of the top hitters at that position. Gold Gloves are a joke.

Well-said GB12. GG's are intended to recognize the best fielder, but the voting system sucks, just like the other main awards. Sportswriters just aren't the best way to filter player info anymore... in fact, I think it's a joke that they're still asked to in this manner. Imo the awards votes should consist of both human & cpu/stat components. Something along the lines of the way the BCS is calculated, but without the stupid politics.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gold gloves don't go to the players with the best fielding percentage, nor should they.

The official criteria for gold glove winners is that they must fall into one of three categories, in this order of preference:

• Best hitter at the position who isn't complete crap defensively
  • Last year's gold glove winner
  • Worst hitter at the position

Well-said GB12. GG's are intended to recognize the best fielder, but the voting system sucks, just like the other main awards. Sportswriters just aren't the best way to filter player info anymore... in fact, I think it's a joke that they're still asked to in this manner. Imo the awards votes should consist of both human & cpu/stat components. Something along the lines of the way the BCS is calculated, but without the stupid politics.

If your going to complain at least look up how the voting is actually conducted. It's managers and coaches, not the media.

Sportswriters just aren't the best way to filter player info anymore...

I believe players (and maybe also coaches) vote for the Gold Glove. Kinda freaky, isn't it?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived