Brewer Fanatic

Advantages of being single?

jaybird2001wi

For me the best thing is peace of mind. I've been engaged to (narrowly avoided marrying the wrong woman) and seemingly only date very selfish women. I'm a "do-whatever-you-want" kind of guy. If you want a girl's night out... great go have fun... I don't get jealous about things like because I learned a long time ago I'm not able to force someone to care about me. I want her to have her freedoms because come football season I don't have time to do all of the little things that a relationship requires, I need to be able to put in the 40+ hours a week into football without the nagging... it's not that I don't care, it's that I've made a commitment to the kids and parents... I'm actually surprised how few woman understand that and don't spin it into "what about me?"

It's like in some weird way giving someone freedom actually equals or gets interpeted as indifference on my part, even though it should be clear that's the not case.

I find that many of my friends regardless of gender would rather be anyone, no matter horrible the match is, than be alone. I've always been fine on my own, I don't need to have someone just to have someone around, so I've never really understood the other point of view. They want someone so they aren't lonely, but the significant other makes them miserable and strangely they end up feeling more alone in the end. It just seems like a pretty destructive cycle to me.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will TLB answer this: I am sure he will be able to address it better than I ever could.

TLB will slowly back away until he has a good 20 foot head start, and then take off running, yelling behind him, 'It's just a mystery of the universe!'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The only thing I never liked about being single is lack of regular sex. That and once you reach a certain point most of your friends are married and you become that "old creepy guy" at the bar.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The only thing I never liked about being single is lack of regular sex. That and once you reach a certain point most of your friends are married and you become that "old creepy guy" at the bar.

The only thing I never liked about being married is lack of regular sex.

Late to the party again, but what the hell?

I'm married almost 15 years...3 sons, so that's my perspective.

Minuses:

- When we order pizza in a restaurant, 95% of the time, it's at least 1/2 cheese, because of the kids. And even then, the "adult half" is a compromise. I like pesto on my pizza...a lot! And shrimp, %%!+$%! Garlic, too. "But that's bad for your breath!"...and "I don't like pesto."...and "Shrimp? On a pizza? Are you nuts?" *sigh*

- Can't watch Pulp Fiction, !!+!+*%, GoodFellas, The Sopranos, or Tarantino's latest Grindhouse film, "DeathProof" on the plasma upstairs. Got to watch with the sound not too loud, downstairs on the old TV.

- Forced socialization. With pain-in-the-ass neighbors, or the 61 people on her side of the family. There's either a communion, a graduation, a birthday, a holiday, or a damned picnic every other weekend. I want to hit a bar and watch the Crew!

Plusses:

- Yeah, with that band on my left ring finger, I don't have to go trolling for women at bars.

- While I'm not fat, I don't have to watch my weight anymore, because I have to attract a woman.

- People at work don't look at me strangely, as they do to the single guy in my department who's my age.

- My 51-year-old cousin Bobby is the one our relatives pity, not me.

- The kids are fun.

- What else am I going to do? Move to Africa? I've had my fun. I'm settled in, it's cool. Hey, I'm online tonight, ain't I?

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I disagree. Lots of things are good when you're single and 25. Your money is all yours, you can be as self-centered as you want, no one gets mad (except you) if you have to work late, you're free to flirt with whoever you want. But all of that has been said. Fact of the matter is, if you think your life sucks, it will continue to suck, single or not. If you're got a positive outlook, more often than not you'll be happy, single or not.

i don't think it's a coincidence that the right girl always shows up when the time is right, and i've often fooled myself thinking that I knew when that time was. use being single right now not to pine for being in a relationship, but to better yourself, through whatever means you choose, for the next eventual relationship in your life. more than anything else, think on being single as an opportunity.

it's been mentioned the cost savings/non-savings of being single vs. being married, but the cost savings of being single vs. dating is tremendous.

it's like i need a second job to afford dating, but if i had a second job, i wouldn't have time to date.

i highly recommend lifting weights for any single person. it uses up all your newfound freetime, you feel better about yourself, and you become more attractive to any potential dates.

Random Shakespearian interjection:

"She would have me as a beast: not that, I being a beast, she would have me; but that she, being a very beastly creature, lays claim to me."

-- The Comedy of Errors (3.2.86-88; Dromio of Syracuse)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived