Brewer Fanatic

Advantages of being single?

jaybird2001wi
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm single right now and very happy. Being single allows you to do what you want, when you want. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being in a meaningful relationship, but there is a certain push-pull where you are constantly being forced to comprise to something that you are not 100% behind. For example last week, while working in New Mexico, I had a 5 days in between jobs. I decided to do a mini road trip to the Grand Canyon, Death Valley and do some gambling in Las Vegas. My co-worker went home to be with his wife. I'm not saying I had more fun than him, but I definitely had more freedom.

Also, it's easier to be flirty when you're single.

Do what makes you happy. I have friends who HAVE to be in a relationship, I have other friends who are self described pickup artists and have to go home with a new girl every few days. Myself personally, I am content being young and single and stumbling into the occasional short term relationship. One of these days down the road I'm bound to find the right person, but that's not my worry right now.

I'll have to disagree with you FtJ.

Of course. And tomorrow you will agree. It's because of the crazy.

it seems that guys have become the "kitty-cat" of the man-woman relationship. And that is definitely a shade of crazy and not because a girl dumped you.

This is exactly my theory -- The men that became "kitty-cats" were transformed into that by the raving lunacy of the women in their life.

For the record, it's not the dumping that causes the issues -- it's the time up to the dumping.

Enjoy single life.

Then isn't it like the chicken or the egg dilemma? I guess it doesn't matter because the bottom line is that men are weak, so I'm fine taking crazy.

This begs the question: If it's in my nature to be crazy, how would one describe my hormonal rollercoaster when I'm PMSing?

5) Better chance of finding a woman who isn't "deemed crazy" by my fellow guy friends.

All that really matters is what she is to you, who cares what anyone else thinks.

I want to second this sentiment. I'm dating a girl right now that my friends never seemed to be that fond of, but I'm absolutely crazy about. I mean, there are three guys that I really value the opinion of, but in this instance, it wouldn't really be an informed opinion. Say you actually find someone that you really like and have the potential to be with for a long, long, long time. Do you throw that away because your buddies think that's a bad idea? They don't have to live your life, you're the one that has to do that. As long as you're cool with your decisions, that's all that matters.

FTJ, not all babies are cute. There are definitely some ugly ones out there.

Too true, Liz. One of my friends had a baby a few months ago, and good lord she was an ugly baby. She's gotten cuter lately though. That's a plus.

1) More money saving
Yes, 'cause having two incomes is whack.

Now that I'm married and we have two decent incomes (and my current income is much greater than when I was single), I am much poorer now. How can this be you ask...you get a mortgage, double the car payments, double the gasoline costs, much more in groceries (especially if you were on the mac-and-cheese diet like I was), an astronomical clothing budget for the wife, a something for sale party every other week (Lia Sophia jewelry, cooking parties, candle parties, etc.), home improvements, and endless other expenses that you can't imagine. I figure when I got my professional job right after college is the most wealthy I'll be, possibly until I retire, but maybe for my entire life.

mtrebs wrote:

much more in groceries (especially if you were on the mac-and-cheese diet like I was),

No doubt. Real food costs more than what my diet would consist of if I wasn't married.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

logan3825 wrote:

No doubt. Real food costs more than what my diet would consist of if I wasn't married.

The single diet: A freezer full of 5/$10 pizzas you bought on sale and a fridge full of beer.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

25 and single is about perfect. I settled down at 28, now I'm 35.

No reason to settle down before you do some traveling. Speaking as a man with a three year old daughter, go to the cities you want to see before you have kids. Traveling with them is 10x harder.

Go have fun. Worry about being alone when your 70.

Speaking from recent experience, the crazy thing tends to follow some guys.

That is probably true, but I think a lot of guys bring it on themselves too. One of my former roommates had this girl break up with him after 3 years, and then she kept jerking him around, messing around with him and then ditching and ignoring him. That went on for months, and then he started seeing another girl who turned out to be just as crazy. Then both of them were doing the same thing to him at the same time. The thing is, he never does anything about it and just likes the attention. He's very desperate for companionship, and I think some of the real crazies pick up on that. I mean, if a guy is paying attention, shouldn't he be able to pick out and avoid the ubercrazies? The ones that don't seem to care who they're with should probably expect that.

Not saying that's you 2K8, I know I've had my share of crazies.

the bottom line is that men are weak

Honestly, I think this is true. Too many guys do give in. I don't think of myself as a weak person and I'm fairly stubborn, but I wouldn't want someone the opposite of me. I like strong women who aren't afraid to speak their mind and argue with me and challenge me.

1) More money saving
Yes, 'cause having two incomes is whack.

Now that I'm married and we have two decent incomes (and my current income is much greater than when I was single), I am much poorer now. How can this be you ask...you get a mortgage, double the car payments, double the gasoline costs, much more in groceries (especially if you were on the mac-and-cheese diet like I was), an astronomical clothing budget for the wife, a something for sale party every other week (Lia Sophia jewelry, cooking parties, candle parties, etc.), home improvements, and endless other expenses that you can't imagine. I figure when I got my professional job right after college is the most wealthy I'll be, possibly until I retire, but maybe for my entire life.

Truer words have never been spoken. When I graduated college and got my first "real job" I seemed to have extra money to save and invest. Now that I make far more money, it all seems to evaporate- for all the reasons above and more. Then add kids to the equation. There's obviously the big ticket items like college funds, more clothes, food, etc. But you get "20 dollared to death" as I call it. Every time I turn around someone needs $20 for something.

Bottom line, we're all skirting around the elephant in the room. Stable, fulfilling (hopefully) relationship and kids (in many cases) which can be very rewarding vs freedom and possibility of new kitty cat on any given night.

Married at 26 divorced at 30 for me.

There are some pluses to being single, being able to do what you want, buy what you want, ability to switch jobs with out worrying about effects on family etc. But after a year of "recovering" it's starting to get a bit old, and there's nothing like having another half you can share things with. Ohh well, some day again.

I'll third the extra costs of being in a relationship. I'm one of the guys that never needed to be in a relationship unless I found someone I really wanted to be with all the time, which I was lucky enough to find not long ago. Now I've been in a relationship for 6 months and we've been living together most of the time (we did know each other for a year before we hooked up), and my grocery bill has risen exponentially. I used to get away with buying pizza, mac n cheese, hot dogs, bread and beer, but now we have to have food stuffs to make "real" meals, and of course we can't save money by buying generic brands, we MUST have name brand food.

Although I must say I'm very happy with my relationship. I thought I'd be the most happy being single and having freedom to do what I want all the time but if you find the right girl, she won't stop you from doing things you really want to do.

That said... FTJ's right, all women are crazy.

Honestly, I think this is true. Too many guys do give in. I don't think of myself as a weak person and I'm fairly stubborn, but I wouldn't want someone the opposite of me. I like strong women who aren't afraid to speak their mind and argue with me and challenge me.

amen brother. of course it works both ways. it's like people are so afraid to say "i don't want to do this" or "lets go here" for fear that the other person won't like it. but that's the point, to discover likes and dislikes in common. bossy is one thing, but a constant "i'm up for anything" is equally as bad.

it's really amazing what sort of abuse some dudes will put up with to be with a girl. (don't get me wrong, i've been one of them). there's that fine line between "all women are crazy" and "THIS woman is crazy."

to further the "third wheel" comment, i think it's more about how the couple acts around the third person, whether they pay attention to only themselves and make it more of a date. the separation between the guy and his friend should be equal to the guy and his gf.

(man, an awful lot of relationship threads lately)

amen brother. of course it works both ways. it's like people are so afraid to say "i don't want to do this" or "lets go here" for fear that the other person won't like it. but that's the point, to discover likes and dislikes in common. bossy is one thing, but a constant "i'm up for anything" is equally as bad.

it's really amazing what sort of abuse some dudes will put up with to be with a girl. (don't get me wrong, i've been one of them). there's that fine line between "all women are crazy" and "THIS woman is crazy."

to further the "third wheel" comment, i think it's more about how the couple acts around the third person, whether they pay attention to only themselves and make it more of a date. the separation between the guy and his friend should be equal to the guy and his gf.

(man, an awful lot of relationship threads lately)

The problem is, it's the lessor of two evils. I give in on certain things, just because it means less to me than having to talk about it, debate it, or get yelled at for the next hour. And the sad fact is, if she's not happy I'm not gettin' any.

13) When you're single, you don't have to sit around waiting for a call/email/text. (Though probably that is true of being in a relationship because you're less insecure about where things are. Maybe it's just no man's land that freaking sucks so bad.) Seriously, I hate waiting on people, especially people who I am trying to date and therefore can't really demonstrate the full extent of my impatience to yet. (No, I'm not crazy, I just think that it doesn't take a day to answer an email. And I like parentheses.)

I guess it doesn't matter because the bottom line is that men are weak, so I'm fine taking crazy.

Men are not weak. They have to deal with women. It's called "weary".

This begs the question: If it's in my nature to be crazy, how would one describe my hormonal rollercoaster when I'm PMSing?

I will TLB answer this: I am sure he will be able to address it better than I ever could.

No, I'm not crazy

Of course you are.

And I like parentheses

and that would be my proof.

14.) Not having to worry about putting the toliet seat down. Sounds stupid, but just wait single guys you are in for years of "Why can't you put the toliet seat down?!?". After kids it gets even worse. A little advice, if possible, have your own bathroom.

I just have one...

You never have to deal with her making you decide where to go (whether its for dinner, for drinks, or on a Saturday afternoon), so that she can get the pleasure of complaining about it afterwards. No matter where you picked to go out.

When I say I don't care, I mean I don't care. When she says it, she means, "You better get this right, or else!"

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
15) Guilt free sex with multiple partners
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived