Brewer Fanatic

No Brauny, Benny,... or Cubbies

JET15

This may be a bit of a rant, but I'm kinda tired of announcers and coaches calling guys Brauny, Benny, etc. These are grown men and it's kinda demeaning to call them by names that their mothers called them when they were maybe five years old. I think they're trying to imply how close they are to them or their affection for them, but it's a freakin joke. Just stop it. Can you imagine Vince calling Ray "Nicky" or Halas calling Butkus "Dicky"?

Now, as for the use of the term Cubbies... why are our announcers using that name? Craig Coshun was doing it in the pregame. Our annoucers should spit out the name of the Chicago rivals, not use a cute nickname favored by their female fans. It should be said with loathing, C-u-b-s, like Jerry used to say "Hello, N-e-w-m-a-n". He doesn't have to go so far as calling them the Scrubs, but at least don't call them the Cubbies. Just say it like we feel about them... we l-o-a-t-h-e them.

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Can you imagine Vince calling Ray "Nicky" or Halas calling Butkus "Dicky"?

How do you know they didn't? Dickie was a very popular name back then.

As for the other point, I agree. Just call them the Cubs. Kind of like everyone calls the Brewers the "Brew Crew". Just call them what they are.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I agree with the poster. I live in Chicago and I hate when people call them the "Cubbies." It is personally irritating.

I also think adding a "y" or "ie" is pretty pathetic too. I am guilty of calling Braun the name of "Braunie" though from time to time. I definitely go for "Sheeter" over "Sheetsie" though.

This may be a bit of a rant, but I'm kinda tired of announcers and coaches calling guys Brauny, Benny, etc. These are grown men and it's kinda demeaning to call them by names that their mothers called them when they were maybe five years old.

Grown men playing a children's game. It's not such a big deal is it? Name a nickname that sounds mature and adult. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

one can only imagine what their real nicknames are inside the clubhouse.

i think the announcers only do it because there's an aire of familiarity to it, as if they're spending their days on the team plane when not on the television.

It's Ned that calls everybody "name-y". They talked about it earlier in the season and especially about guys like Kendall, who's names don't lend themselves to Ned's oh-so-clever nicknaming philosophy.

As for the announcers, I think they're constantly trying to prove that they're "in" and therefore can call the guys by their nicknames. As in "Look, I'm hip, I'm cool, I call him Benny!"

I call them: "The Twenty Seven Millionaires of Chicago in Peonage to a Corrupt Franchise, Supported by the Disposable Income of a Fatted Fan Base that Fetishizes Misery and Losing at the Expense of the Rest of Baseball and Who Belong Exactly Where They Will Lay, In the Damp of History's Gutter." But Cubbies is easier.

It's just one of a billion weird things about baseball. Just add a "Y" to any name and you have yourself a nickname!

Can we see some sort of formula on that??? HA, just joshin' with you russy. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Grown men playing a children's game.

I don't like this cliche. People always say it about sports but there is little evidence that any of these sports were invented by children or intended solely for children. The only big sport that has a known inventor, basketball, was invented by a man for other men (college track athletes) to play.

Since at least 1845, grown men have organized themselves into organized teams in order to play baseball. Since 1857 there has been some form of organizational oversight of the game. Soldiers played during the Civil War and men have been paid to play baseball for almost 150 years. If it did begin as a "children's game", it hasn't been one for a long time, since the time of our great-great-great grandparents.

I call them: "The Twenty Seven Millionaires of Chicago in Peonage to a Corrupt Franchise, Supported by the Disposable Income of a Fatted Fan Base that Fetishizes Misery and Losing at the Expense of the Rest of Baseball and Who Belong Exactly Where They Will Lay, In the Damp of History's Gutter." But Cubbies is easier.

If you ever publish a book of your posts, I will buy it.

Grown men playing a children's game.

I don't like this cliche. People always say it about sports but there is little evidence that any of these sports were invented by children or intended solely for children.

Compare the number of children playing baseball to adults. Regardless of the game's origin, it is still a guy with a stick trying to hit a ball thrown by another and 9 people chasing said ball around the yard. It seems to be child like activity to me. Something that does not accomplish much and does not matter in the end. Thus, not something to take so seriously, which was my point to the nicknames. It's just for fun.

Archived