Brewer Fanatic

Free Agents in 2009

brewdude15
Trade Fielder for a number 2 starter (under a few years of contract) and prospect.. Have Gamel play 1st to save money, Sign Sabathia... Give Hardy arby... Let Sheeter walk, take the two picks... sign a 1 year rental in center or keep Cameron.

How about Brad Nelson at 1B and Gamel in LF, Braun in RF and Hart in CF? Totally agree with signing Sabathia and letting Sheets walk. Give Hardy and Hart long term deals. I'd probably let Cameron go too to save money.

With Turnbow, Gagne, Mota, Sheets and Cameron gone, and Cappy not offered arby, that's over $41M in payroll removed.

Plus are we still paying Vargas or Koskie anything??? and we non tender Bush and save a coule mil too ...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trade Fielder for a number 2 starter (under a few years of contract) and prospect.. Have Gamel play 1st to save money, Sign Sabathia... Give Hardy arby... Let Sheeter walk, take the two picks... sign a 1 year rental in center or keep Cameron.

How about Brad Nelson at 1B and Gamel in LF, Braun in RF and Hart in CF? Totally agree with signing Sabathia and letting Sheets walk. Give Hardy and Hart long term deals. I'd probably let Cameron go too to save money.

With Turnbow, Gagne, Mota, Sheets and Cameron gone, and Cappy not offered arby, that's over $41M in payroll removed.

Plus are we still paying Vargas or Koskie anything??? and we non tender Bush and save a coule mil too ...

A couple names that stuck out to me.

Rafael Soriano -

Good - When healthy dominant reliever. Bad - Rarely healthy

Should be relatively cheap, 1 year 6.5 million or 2 year 10 million

Dan Wheeler -

Has been a very good reliever 4 out of the last 5 years

Rocco Baldelli -

Pure gamble. Could be the future CFer, more than likely AAA roster filler if he can stay healthy.

Oliver Perez -

Another high risk player. Most likely will recieve a contract similar to Gil Meche, inflation adjusted.

If Perez is going to get 5 years 60-70 million I would hope the Brewers wouldn't be involved. If it is

closer to 3 year 35-40 million he might, MIGHT be worth looking into.

Rafael Soriano -

Dan Wheeler -

Rocco Baldelli -

Pure gamble. Could be the future CFer, more than likely AAA roster filler if he can stay healthy.

Oliver Perez -

Another high risk player. Most likely will recieve a contract similar to Gil Meche, inflation adjusted.

If Perez is going to get 5 years 60-70 million I would hope the Brewers wouldn't be involved. If it is

Rafael Soriano -

Dan Wheeler -

Rocco Baldelli -

Oliver Perez -

Rafael Soriano -

Dan Wheeler -

Rocco Baldelli -

Oliver Perez -

sure hope its not Gwynn.

The only question TG is the answer to is "Who could we put in center that would make our team worse?"

I hope it is. He has nothing left to prove in AAA. His defense is at worst a shade less than Cameron. He can bat leadoff and finally get Weeks out of that spot in the batting order. He's cheap, and another left handed bat in a righthanded dominant lineup. With all the holes we are going to have in the rotation and bullpen, and all the prospects in the outfield, the last thing I want to see them spend money on is an outfielder. They need to sign at least 2 bullpen arms, a backup utility guy to replace Counsell, and at least one starter, maybe 2.

sure hope its not Gwynn.

The only question TG is the answer to is "Who could we put in center that would make our team worse?"

I hope it is. He has nothing left to prove in AAA. His defense is at worst a shade less than Cameron. He can bat leadoff and finally get Weeks out of that spot in the batting order. He's cheap, and another left handed bat in a righthanded dominant lineup. With all the holes we are going to have in the rotation and bullpen, and all the prospects in the outfield, the last thing I want to see them spend money on is an outfielder. They need to sign at least 2 bullpen arms, a backup utility guy to replace Counsell, and at least one starter, maybe 2.

sure hope its not Gwynn.

sure hope its not Gwynn.

I hope it is. He has nothing left to prove in AAA.

I agree, he is horrible.

His defense is at worst a shade less than Cameron.

I don't believe this to be close to accurate.

He can bat leadoff and finally get Weeks out of that spot in the batting order.

Weeks is a better leadoff option than TGJ.

He's cheap, and another left handed bat in a righthanded dominant lineup.

Brad Nelson.

I agree, he is horrible.

Brad Nelson.

I agree, he is horrible.

Brad Nelson.

I agree, he is horrible.

Brad Nelson.

Perhaps I should put it another way.....Defensively, I'd put him ahead of any outfielder on the roster other than Cameron.

Brad Nelson.

Great.....what about him? Do you want Brad Nelson to play center, or are you just listing another cheap lefthanded hitter?

Gwynn has a .679 OPS in AAA this year and you think he has nothing left to prove there?

Gwynn is not, and never has been a power hitter, so obviously his slugging percentage is going to be lower. Im more concerned about on base percentage for a leadoff hitter than slugging percentage. Weeks has a cool .329 on base percentage this year with a strikeout once every 4.3 at bats. Not exactly what Im looking for with someone who is supposed to set the table. Gwynn may be having a bit of a down year in Nasvhville, but its his third season there, what exactly do you want him to do? Im not saying hes the ideal leadoff hitter, but I'd rather see him then Weeks. Some people just have this complete hatred for him that I dont understand. Is it because he wont hit homeruns?

Like I said, I see no reason why you need to go off and spend money on an outfielder when you are going to have Gillespie, Brantley, and, if he moves to outfield, Gamel, in AAA next season.

Perhaps I should put it another way.....Defensively, I'd put him ahead of any outfielder on the roster other than Cameron.

Brad Nelson.

Great.....what about him? Do you want Brad Nelson to play center, or are you just listing another cheap lefthanded hitter?

Gwynn has a .679 OPS in AAA this year and you think he has nothing left to prove there?

Gwynn is not, and never has been a power hitter, so obviously his slugging percentage is going to be lower. Im more concerned about on base percentage for a leadoff hitter than slugging percentage. Weeks has a cool .329 on base percentage this year with a strikeout once every 4.3 at bats. Not exactly what Im looking for with someone who is supposed to set the table. Gwynn may be having a bit of a down year in Nasvhville, but its his third season there, what exactly do you want him to do? Im not saying hes the ideal leadoff hitter, but I'd rather see him then Weeks. Some people just have this complete hatred for him that I dont understand. Is it because he wont hit homeruns?

Like I said, I see no reason why you need to go off and spend money on an outfielder when you are going to have Gillespie, Brantley, and, if he moves to outfield, Gamel, in AAA next season.

Brad Nelson.

Archived