Brewer Fanatic

Teixeira to LA Angels

I really wasn't expecting Atlanta to trade him. I thought they would make an effort to sign him.

Looking at Kotchman's numbers, it really isn't THAT much of an upgrade as Kotchman was solid for the Angels

Lame... RyDogg just got me all excited about a trade on the Transaction Forum.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

My thoughts too, sheethead. Huge pickup for LAA. A good use of resources in dealing Kotchman (a fine player) & a minor-league arm for a stud bat like Teixeira. His swing v. RHP is going to work nicely with that short(er) RF in Anaheim.

They finally got that other big bat to pair with Vlad. Imho this is to offense what pairing CC & Sheets was to pitching. The fun part is that, not only do we have the pitching duo, but that our duo is likely a better combo in terms of talent regardless.

Teixeira fits the needs of that team in general, and just happened to play Kotchman's spot. My guess is the Braves got a solid arm in Marek, too. I'd appreciate any info others can share on the pitcher.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Honestly, I too, am surprised a bit that he got traded. I wouldn't know, because I don't follow the Braves that closely, but are Atlanta fans going to be upset about this? They seem to have gone into the mode recently of letting a lot of their big names go.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

They finally got that other big bat to pair with Vlad. Imho this is to offense what pairing CC & Sheets was to pitching. The fun part is that, not only do we have the pitching duo, but that our duo is likely a better combo in terms of talent regardless.

The Angels didn't need to do anything to have a rotation or a bullpen that's far superior to the Brewers. Here's their pitching stats sorted by ERA.

I already liked their 1-9 before the aquisition.

Marek is probably a second tier pitching prospect like Periard, he has nice stuff and throws hard, but his numbers aren't eye popping. He has top of the rotation potential.

edit. Nevermind on the starter potential, they moved him back to the bullpen where he pitched in JC. I remember he was one of the hardest throwers in the draft class and was going to get a chance to start.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Angels might be the quietest really good team there has been for quite some time. They always seem to be good and even won a WS not too long ago. I wonder why don't the get the attention the other WS contenders do? Maybe this will wake up the media on their WS ability.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If it truly is just Kotchman and Marek, this deal is a steal for the Angels. Marek is going to be 25 in a month and is a AA reliever - not much of a prospect at all. If the Braves had truly put Texeira out there, I am shocked that a team would not have bettered the offer.

Marek throws 98 mph, sits 94-95 regularly, and has a plus curve ball... Dillard he is not.

edit. His numbers weren't bad a starter. just not great, his K/BB isn't great. Didn't het get the most money from his DFE class? I remember something about that.

edit2. Whoops, he sits 92-94, here's a BA article about his signing, and he did get the most money in that class. Anyway, he's was one of the guys I looked at for one of my posts in the Transaction forum.

- Plato

- Plato

The Angels didn't need to do anything to have a rotation or a bullpen that's far superior to the Brewers. Here's their pitching stats sorted by ERA.

That's not what I was talking about. I was just comparing Teixiera-Vlad with Sabathia-Sheets... just for fun.

Thanks for the info on Marek. I figured his stuff had to be pretty special.

If the Braves had truly put Texeira out there, I am shocked that a team would not have bettered the offer.

If this is the deal, then I'd have to agree. But then again, unless a team traded for Mark as a rental, some of the 'usual suspects' weren't really on the market as of today. Here are some teams that could have taken Teix. as an 'over the top' piece:

--NYY: Posada & Damon both have to DH at this point in the season. Posada might just shut it down altogether. Giambi has had to play 1B all season so the other guys can get ABs at DH.

--BOS: Youkilis at 1B, Lowell at 3B (where Youk could have moved for Teixeira & where Chipper plays in ATL), Ortiz at DH

--NYM: Stuck with Delgado at 1B... would have had to find a taker for him & his salary before getting Teixeira, in all likelihood

--LAD: Have Loney at 1B, who's already giving them solid production. Perhaps the Dodgers were in play but didn't want to lose a top P prospect to better the Angels' offer?

--ARZ: Conor Jackson at 1B, and you have to wonder if their farm system had enough ammo to land Teixeira anyway. Besides, not a given that they would want to sink so much cash into Teix. when they have plenty of young players that are going to get more pricey.

--TB Carlos Pena; limited payroll, might not have wanted to deal prospects for a rental

--CHW They've got Swisher playing some 1B, Thome in the mix, but I'm not familiar enough with their farm system.

--MIN Probably not worth giving up talented youngsters for < 1/2 season of Teix., besides they have Morneau at 1B already

--CHC Derrek Lee, obv.

--STL Pujols, obv.

I guess it's kinda funny... once you handicap the situation a bit, there really just weren't that many viable places for Teix. to go at this point. MIN probably would make the most sense in a 1-season sense, but they certainly couldn't retain him, and would basically have to dump their recently-acquired LF Delmon Young to the bench (or send him to ATL) to make room for Teix./Morneau at DH, because Kubel's been DHing this season & has been much better than Young at the plate.

CHW would have made some sense as long as the OF of Quentin/Swisher/Dye wouldn't hurt them on D.

Looking at it now, the Angels stand out as the team both best prepared to fit Teix. into their lineup right now & also sign him to an extension long-term. If the Halos can extend him, the trade looks exceedingly good imo.

Smart move by ATL, they knew they couldnt, or wouldnt out bid teams like the Yankees or Angels for Teixeira anyway, and turned him into a Lyle Overbay type 1b, who is more than serviceable and they can have him for 3 more years at least.

Smart move by ATL, they knew they couldnt, or wouldnt out bid teams like the Yankees or Angels for Teixeira anyway, and turned him into a Lyle Overbay type 1b, who is more than serviceable and they can have him for 3 more years at least.

I agree, and it's probably a good move for LAA if it gives them the inside track to extend Teixeira.

I'm sorry to do this, but I have no idea where to look:

Can anyone post the wins or win shares this move is expected to add for LAA? Teixeira is a big acquisition, but I think the overall/net impact of the move for this season might surprise some people. Is the move 'worth' 2 wins the rest of the way?

There have also been a lot of rumors that the Yankees are targeting Sabathia and Teixeira this offseason, meaning that Tex's team is likely to get a 2nd rounder for him rather than a 1st rounder, as the Brewers are likely to get the Yankees' 1st rounder. Of course, there is now a good chance that the Angels lock him up before the end of the season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived