Brewer Fanatic

Is Ryan Braun the 2008 MVP?

brewerguy71
I think the one thing lacking is his OBP. It shows a couple things. The low number of IBB indicates that teams still are not afraid to pitch to him, and it shows a lack of plate discipline at times. He just isn't in the same catagory as an Albert Pujols yet.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahhhh.....I can't believe we're talking about this. I saw two guys on the Cards last night who were better than Braun, and one who was in his zip code that never should have been. Until Braun becomes a truly devastating hitter, which includes real plate discipline, lets leave this kinda talk on the backburner.

IMO, Braun's only hope would be to catch Ryan Howard for the HR crown and stay among the league leaders in RBI. That would be enough to get him a lot of votes from the writers who don't look at anything past counting stats and batting average.

He's still not an elite player, though. Even though he's done very, very well this year, I still don't have confidence in him coming up in a pressure situation. He's struck out more than Rickie Weeks this season and chases more garbage pitches than anyone else on the team. Until he improves his plate discipline, he's more likely to be Alfonso Soriano than Albert Pujols.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Until he improves his plate discipline, he's more likely to be Alfonso Soriano than Albert Pujols.

...which, I must say, would be a fine career trajectory for him. Especially given that the Brewers already figured out he's not an IF and moved him to a position where he's already probably something of an asset, and in time might truly excel. It took Soriano's various teams more than half a decade to figure that out.

I hope he's not a first class idiot like Soriano or Fat A. I also think both are horrible defensive players and Fattie Albert throws like an old woman.
can you go post without calling someone an idiot or something like "fattie albert"

sorry mods, but its kind of annoying. And if it costs me a strike for calling someone out on it, I'll take it.

Albert Pujols is one of the best defensive 1B in the NL.

The problem with the MVP is that no one knows what it is. The first step seems to be to make sure that you are on a good team.

Don't forget the most important skills of all -- having teammates on base when you come up, and getting driven in by your teammates when you're on base! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the one thing lacking is his OBP. It shows a couple things. The low number of IBB indicates that teams still are not afraid to pitch to him, and it shows a lack of plate discipline at times. He just isn't in the same catagory as an Albert Pujols yet.
Are you talking about Braun? If I had to guess, the main reason Braun doesn't get IBB's much is Fielder hitting behind him more than anything else. I agree a .340 OBP is low for an MVP candidate. I would like his OBP to be a little higher, but it isn't terrible like it was in the first half.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I hope he's not a first class idiot like Soriano or Fat A. I also think both are horrible defensive players and Fattie Albert throws like an old woman.
can you go post without calling someone an idiot or something like "fattie albert"

sorry mods, but its kind of annoying. And if it costs me a strike for calling someone out on it, I'll take it.

No, you're right on the money. Calling one of the best players in the history of the game "Fattie" is juvenile.

I think Braun has a shot at the award. I have a feeling the Cards are going to fade -- fast. I don't know if it's right or not, but winning teams are more likely to produce MVPs. If the Cards fade, that will hurt Pujols' chances. I get the feeling that Braun is bigger than Milwaukee. Now I'm not saying he's bigger than the team, but I think he has that kind of swagger that will make him a star in Milwaukee and across the nation. Braun is exactly what the Brewers have lacked for so long. I do love the fact he's even in the MVP talk in his second year.

The problem with the MVP is that no one knows what it is. The first step seems to be to make sure that you are on a good team.
Russ is absolutely right, the voters are all over the board on these awards. Based on history, I'd bet anything that Lance Berkman does not win this award, and I'd bet strongly against Albert Pujols, unless the Cardinals storm back into the playoff picture.

As far as Braun's .341 OBP goes, Jimmy Rollins won the award last year with a .344 - like it or not - HR, RBI, SB, AVE and a playoff appearance will probably matter more to the voters.

I do think Berkman and Pujols have been the two best players in the NL to this point, but I'd say the list of favorites will include Braun, Wright, Utley, and possibly Jose Reyes.

If you want a real dark horse for the NL MVP, I'll suggest Brandon Webb or maybe, (yes I mean this)....CC Sabathia.

Forget logic, it's like a Heisman Trophy race, it's about PR and packaging. Albert or Lance will have to sell eye-popping numbers, so it'll take a "carry my team" September for either of them to pull it off. The Cubs have had the best team to this point, but nobody has huge numbers individually. The NL West is a mess, it's going to be very tough for a player out there to win over the voters.

Teams most likely to produce the winner of this "individual" award...Brewers, Mets and Phillies.

Playoff race most likely to go to the final weekend - NL East - which will hold the attention of the voters.

My Pick: It's wide-open right now, but I'll say the Mets hold off the Phillies, and the voters go with David Wright in a very close vote.

Current VORP standings:

Pujols 83.3

Berkman 77.0

H Ramirez 67.2

C. Jones 62.3

Reyes 60.4

Holliday 60.0

Utley 56.0

Wright 51.2

Ludwick 47.3

McCann 46.3

Braun 43.8

So yes Braun would still be a bad choice, but given that Pujols and Berkman are unlikely to make the playoffs and Pujols is a repeater type the best choices are likely to not get the top votes. Jones might get a few votes but Atlanta tanking plus him being injured killed him. The Marlins may end up below .500 killing Ramirez. Holliday has no shot. Ludwick might get votes if St Louis makes the playoffs but that's unlikely. And McCann might as well be in Witness Protection. Wright looks to be the best bet but Braun might sneak in if Reyes and Wright split the vote if the Mets make the playoffs.

EDIT: Sabathia's VORP is 38.8, so no right now he shouldn't even be mentioned as MVP but sportswriters like the story so he has a great shot. The fact that Linecum isn't a runaway CY Young winner pretty much tells you everythign you need to know.

endaround wrote:

The fact that Linecum isn't a runaway CY Young winner pretty much tells you everythign you need to know.

Come on now. Are you trying to say that smart media types use a poor stat like W/L record to make a choice. Those guys are way to smart for that.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived