Brewer Fanatic

ESPN preview of Brewers/Cubs

In the ESPN preview of tonights (Tuesdays) game they keep showing a sliding catch by Tony Gwynn and it's really making me mad. They couldn't find any of Ryan Braun's hundreds of sliding catches he has made. Braun loves the sliding catch. When was the last time Gwynn was with the team? Although I appreciate the coverage can you at least show our big league players.

Of course it would have. Why would a tie for first be any less compelling?

For all the posts about how stupid or irrelevant ESPN is, there sure is a lot of angst about what they do.

It shouldn't be that shocking that Brewers/Cubs is getting significant airtime.

The Cubs have been ESPN darlings all season, they are milking the 100 year thing to the max. The Brewers haven't received anywhere near the coverage, nor will they going forward.

The Brewers were the top story 2 or 3 days in a row last week. The "media darling" Cubs had the best record in baseball for like 2 1/2 months, darn ESPN for spending a lot of time on the team with the best record in baseball!

Have you been following their extensive coverage of Kerry Woods blister? Riveting. Especially the expert opinions of various doctors as to how long it takes for a blister to heal. Love it. And I can't get enough of the life story of Jeff Samardzija, who has pitched a whopping 4 innings in the bigs. Of course his Notre Dame connection doesn't hurt either.

ESPN stroking the big media markets isn't new nor is it unexpected. But let's try not to pretend it doesn't happen.

Mickey, they had interviews in the clubhouse with Bill Hall and Craig Counsell. Pedro Gomez was doing a feature on how the Brewers are selling out a ton of games, and said something like "it's almost as hard to get a ticket here as to a Badgers or Packers game." They played all of the top plays from the game, most of which were shown with BA's call on FSN. It was a Brewerfest, and it was bizarre.

I'm not saying the Brewers don't get any coverage. The Sabathia trade threw them into the spotlight. That's great. But the "Samardzija is the next big thing" plus the "everything you've always wanted to know about blisters" has been nauseating. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

plus the "everything you've always wanted to know about blisters" has been nauseating. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Let me help

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/56c1691249d4d92992789ea46dc92a657dfa00b2.jpg

Fondybrew you forgot. It's beer, brats and cheese.

What's frustrating is all the years that we said that the time is coming for the Brewers to be a good team and all the ridicule that was heaped upon us for our hope. Not blaming ESPN for this, just other people/fans/media in general.

The thing about ESPN is it's the only major national source for all-things sports. That's why people are so contentious about their programming. It's frustrating when you want to see your team's highlights or real discussion and they spend twenty minutes of an hour show on stupid things like "Who's Next?", which college town is "Titletown USA" (what does that even mean?) or "analysts's" opinions that aren't even tied to a sport (Mike Golic talking about anything other than football comes to mind).

That said, this is my 1000th post! Thanks all for allowing me to be here this long!

Archived