Brewer Fanatic

07/15/06 Brewers (Cappy) @ D'Backs (Webb) 8:40pm CST

JoeH33
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've read this script before. The Brewers go on a bad losing streak then in a couple weeks they get back to .500. They continue to hang there for awhile, then go on another losing streak. Then in a couple weeks they get back to............................................................................and on and on and on.

I took some time away from the game thread because it was getting to be a back-and-forth jab session.

With a possible sweep coming tomorrow, isn't it tough to see Melvin sitting on his hands and not doing a thing? I have got to wonder if he really thinks this team can compete as is or maybe he knows we're a year or two away? Melvin even admitted in the JS that the offense is very subpar and he is concerned about the prolonged slumps of players (namely Jenkins, Fielder, Miller). There was another article not so long back that had him speaking unfavorably about our bullpen. I don't know if he thinks Sheets and Ohka are going to be our saviors, but let's call a spade a spade here. We were a .500 team last year with those guys. It's not like we're going to all of a sudden challenge STL for the division.

I think the team could have competed, but the chance wasn't good enough to mortgage much of the brighter future to jump at the opportunity. It's frustrating to endure another .500 season if that happens, but I think next year we'll be able as fans to set the playoffs as an attainable goal.

It's frustrating to endure another .500 season if that happens, but I think next year we'll be able as fans to set the playoffs as an attainable goal.

I'm not being facetious here or anything....but why do you think next year is the year? Why playoffs next year? Do you think Weeks and Fielder will be a lot better next year or will they attain a quality SP to plug in the 2 or 3 spot in the rotation? Do you realistically think, as is, we're a playoff team next year or do we have to add/subtract pieces to make it happen?

Well, yes. I think Weeks and Fielder will both be better. I think they might obtain a 2/3 type pitcher, but it will have to be a young one to afford him. Also, I think Sheets will be back all next year.

Well, yes. I think Weeks and Fielder will both be better. I think they might obtain a 2/3 type pitcher, but it will have to be a young one to afford him. Also, I think Sheets will be back all next year.

Fair enough. I hope so. I personally see 3 key areas to improve:

1) Bullpen pitching: attain a Howry/Eyre guy (give him big money if need be....we have all witnessed how important it is for a guy to hold a lead in the 7th and 8th this season).

2) 3rd base: need a solid guy here who will put up big numbers and be in the middle of the lineup (5 spot-type). Koskie/Hall isn't the answer.

3) OF situation: I don't envision Clark or Jenkins being part of a team that goes to the post-season. We need someone who we can count on out there (especially in Jenkins spot: RF and 3-hole).

When I heard the lineup on my break at work I was thinking "is Ned trying to lose today?" .. I just wish I wasn't right on my gut feeling this lineup wouldn't do much http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif . Granted, I didn't expect Cappy to give up 8 runs in 3 2/3rds, but yikes.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Quote:
I just wish I wasn't right on my gut feeling this lineup wouldn't do much

Funny, because I had the same gut feeling last night and I have the same gut feeling about tomorrow and that lineup doesn't even exist yet.

Its not the lineup, its the team.

Well, just got back from the game. Here are my thoughts:

1) Cappy looked like there was an "r" in between the "C" and "a" on the back of his jersey. Just not good. I agree with someone else who noted that he looked like he wanted to scream on the mound.

2) Again, the bullpen did a solid job, overall. I was impressed with Eveland. Granted, it was in mopup work, but still.

3) I talked with Shouse, DD, and Wise just a bit during BP and they thanked me for the support. D-Bow was pretty much ignoring everyone, even though he openly thanked me last night when I told him Good job in the All star game.

4) I really wanted to break the Gwynn story and tell you guys he was in the ballpark during BP but by then I figured you all knew. The kid looked pretty good in that one AB. I wonder if his old man was in the house?

5) That grab by Prince in the first inning was AMAZING! Best catch I've seen by an infielder in a LONG time! The play on the dribbler, though, was something to behold, as I believe he was the only one in the ballpark who didn't know that the ball was still on the ground.

6) Did anybody see us on TV? My wife, her friend and I were holding up the neon yellow signs every half inning after my wife talked to Bill and Daron before the game and they said we'd for sure be on TV.

7) Already this weekend I have had countless (okay, maybe 30) people stop me and talk about the Brewers just because I was wearing the hat, shirt, jersey, whatever. It's surreal. It's never happened all the other times I've been here for a D-Backs/Brewers game

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif I sure hope the Crew can score some runs tomorrow. I'm going to try some reverse mojo and sit at Jackson's and drink beer and totally not watch a second of batting practice.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote:
Thank you. Doug Melvin. You're gonna have to do better than this, buddy.

I think we have to not blame Doug Melvin, but the guy who determines team payroll. You get what you pay for. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

2) 3rd base: need a solid guy here who will put up big numbers and be in the middle of the lineup (5 spot-type). Koskie/Hall isn't the answer.

Doubt you'll read this, but how are these guys not the 'answer'?

3rd Base - .304 / .381 / .545 / .926 / 17 HR

A platoon like that is perfect, it brings out the best in each player.

Archived