Brewer Fanatic

Crowd behavior

bball123h

Don't forget that there are a lot of Cubs fans that have never stepped foot in Chicago, much less Illinois thanks to WGN. A lot of people who live in an area with no team have gravitated to the Cubs because they can see a lot of games on cable thanks to WGN.

Cubs fans at other stadiums are just as likely to be from that area as they are to have traveled.

They're like Bebe Kids. They don't die, they multiply!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

75% of the cubs fans that i have ran into the last two days have been complete idiots who choose to make personal attacks on any brewers fans near, rather then have logical conversations that stick to baseball, so i have no sympathy for a kid who is subjected to this kind of treatment, because i will give you 5 young brewers fans being railed on for every young cub fan.

The atmosphere at the stadium this series has been extremely frustrating and i can't wait until they get out of town, not because of the result of the games, but because of the attitudes these fans have.

Plus, i hate that song.

Well honestly i must have misread the original post and wasn't aware of the disability. I understand that is a terrible thing to do, but it doesn't change the fact that i believe cubs fans have much more to be ashamed for then brewer fans.

There was story this morning on the news about a couple idiot Cubs "fans" who assaulted someone after the game, and are now in jail. Possible felony charges.

Not that anything deserves getting beat up, but throwing a beer at a bus full of likely intoxicated fans from the opposition is not something that would not be suggested.

I'm not going as far as saying the guy deserved it, but it is a pretty foolish move.

EDIT: LINK

There was story this morning on the news about a couple idiot Cubs "fans" who assaulted someone after the game, and are now in jail. Possible felony charges.

Ya, I saw that. Some Brewer fan I guess threw a beer can at a buss full of Cubs fans and then later on one of the Cubs fans on the bus "recognizes"(hmmmm, sporting event where many people are wearing similar clothing mixed with alcohol) the guy and gets two other Cubs fans to go and beat him. Knocked the guys teeth out.

Ridiculous. They should have a no tolerance with Cubs fans causing trouble here. Kick em out, ticket them, don't let em in.

Story sounds alittle different on JSonline then on news. Punched his sister? Low lifes.

After the game last night I went to Mo's and a few other places down town. While the establishments were more upscale, I did not hear one negative comment directed towards myself or the other Brewer fans with us. While I know the scene is quite different at the stadium, it goes to show that most Cubs fans are actually human and not looking to knock your teeth out or punch your sister or waste $15 dumping beer from the next tier up.

The lesson I learned in Wrigley and have carried over to these games is to simply ignore the idiots. They don't seem to think they are so funny when they don't get a reaction. If they are out of hand, don't even say a thing to them, tell someone who has the ability to have them removed.

Salt the earth for these vermin. They like coming up here because it's comfortable. It shouldn't be comfortable to go into an opposing stadium, at least not comfortable enough to treat it like your own. I'm not talking about committing felonies here, but it's an act of arch disrespect to come into an opposing stadium and insult the home team and home crowd and therefore there should be consequences. That said, the greatest antidote would be for the Brewers to win, and that hasn't happened yet.

That said, the greatest antidote would be for the Brewers to win, and that hasn't happened yet.

Yep, they tend to shut up pretty quick when the Brewers do something big on the field. Maybe actually winning a game against them at Miller Park would help.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Salt the earth for these vermin. They like coming up here because it's comfortable. It shouldn't be comfortable to go into an opposing stadium, at least not comfortable enough to treat it like your own. I'm not talking about committing felonies here, but it's an act of arch disrespect to come into an opposing stadium and insult the home team and home crowd and therefore there should be consequences. That said, the greatest antidote would be for the Brewers to win, and that hasn't happened yet.

Agreed. I don't mind them coming up to Milwaukee, even en masse, if they can be good visitors--like Twins and Cards fans. Go ahead, cheer on your team, just don't get rude, sloppy, loud, obnoxious, and disrespectful. But a good chunk of their fans have proven time and again that they can't.

Heck, in June 1999 I watched a crummy last-place Brewers team whip a crummy second-place Cubs team from the bleachers at County. As they watched their team go down 11-4 in the 9th, the visiting Cubs fans started chanting "LAST PLACE! LAST PLACE!" as they threw their plastic cups, beery backwash and all. Now, last laugh was on them, since the Cubs finished last that year, but point being, this is nothing new.

That's why I don't have an issue with Brewers fans making them feel unwelcome, outside of involving kids. Stories about drunken idiot Brewers fans riding them or even duking it out don't bother me. Make it an unpleasant atmosphere for those that want to act like they're in Wrigley. They're not, and they should know it.

That's why I don't have an issue with Brewers fans making them feel unwelcome, outside of involving kids. Stories about drunken idiot Brewers fans riding them or even duking it out don't bother me. Make it an unpleasant atmosphere for those that want to act like they're in Wrigley. They're not, and they should know it.

I guess it would be interesting to see how the gold standard of classy fans, Cards fans, react when the Cubs come into town. I guess it would be my dream for Brewers fans to be revered like Cards fans.

I guess it would be interesting to see how the gold standard of classy fans, Cards fans, react when the Cubs come into town. I guess it would be my dream for Brewers fans to be revered like Cards fans.

Me too. I'm guessing their problem isn't as big as ours given the proximity to Chicagoland. It's been my experience that downstate, Indiana, and Iowa Cubs fans aren't nearly as insufferable as those from the suburbs or recent-college grads who moved to Wrigleyville/Lincoln Park.

I guess I've just never been a big "turn the other cheek" kind of person. Maybe it's not even that--just where do they think they are?!?

I think we get the drunken "frat boy" type because they can afford it. Not to mention that half of them go to Marquette. But it's nearly impossible to get single game Wrigley tickets for face, so instead of sitting on the phone/interwebs all day when tickets go on sale to come up empty-handed, they buy for up here. Plus, never underestimate the novelty appeal of the tailgate.

Plus, never underestimate the novelty appeal of the tailgate.

Yeah, I've told this story here before, but for a couple of years when I lived in Chicago, I used to get a brochure from the Brewers meant for Cubs fans--I guess they assumed since I bought Brewers tickets and had a Chicago address, I was one. Anyway, it was for Cubs-Brewers MP games packages, and they were chockful of photos of Cubs fans whooping it up, including a few of them tailgating with Cubs flags raised in the parking lot, etc. Absolutely disgusting; I don't miss the Seligs at all.

Many revealing comments and stories in this thread. A couple things:

Making fun of someone with a cognitive disability is pretty low. If you're able to condone this type of behavior based on what type of hat or shirt the person is wearing, then you may have some serious ethical or maturity issues to deal with. I have experience working with both children and adults with autism - seeing firsthand what someone with a cognitive disability goes through each day can be an eye-opening experience (it certainly was for me). For anyone who is interested, I highly recommend reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time", a short novel told from the perspective of a teenager with Asperger Syndrome. It's a terrific read and can easily be completed in a night. Worth a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curious_Incident_of_the_Dog_in_the_Night-time

As part of the Brewer diaspora, I've been limited to Brewer road games for several years (same is true of Packers and Bucks games). I've yet to have a single incident. I've noticed that if you go to games and act respectful, people tend to respect you back (big shocker, eh?). Don't get me wrong, if a Brewer gets a big hit or a homer, I stand up and cheer (in fact, I'm a relatively vociferous fan). However, I never boo the other team's players (OK, I've booed Barry in SF) and never harass fellow fans. In fact, I've noticed that if you're polite, most fans of the opposing team are more than happy to have a baseball conversation or tell you more about their team and players.

During the lower attendance years, it's probably been a nice boost to get the Cubs fans up to Miller Park. The more revenue the better. Now that the Brewers are drawing, Cubs tickets should not be made available unless you buy a 20 game pack or Season Tickets. If the season holders sell them, fine...nothing you can do about that, but allowing Cubs fans to get in on the cheap through a single game ticket shouldn't happen. Make them pay up...the more revenue the better.

Last year I went to the UNLV/Wisconsin game in Vegas. There were basically two choices - scalp or buy season tickets, which wound up being about the same price. My friends and me getting forced to buy 8 season tickets for UNLV and I gave away the rest of the tickets. When we go back there in 2010, te facilities are likely to be a little nicer thanks to the Badger fans. We should do the same with the Cubs. Another 100,000 total tickets through package at $40 is $4mm...that might come in handy at the trading deadline next year!!!

Having had season tickets, a few years ago-whatever year it was that Chad Moeller hit for the cycle, still the most improbable thing in the history of baseball, by my mind-I was literally alone in a sea of Cardinals fans in my section. I've dried up substantially since then, but this day I was full in my cups, having discovered how close I was to the Sprecher Amber. I wish I could have stayed classy, but I didn't. My heckling was PG-13, but pretty harmless - when Albert Pujols got up to bat I chanted "Over-Rated, Over-Rated," which got laughs all around. Point being the whole thing was a fun give-and-take. On the Mike Gousha Mannererd Midwesterner Meter, I was probably a 3 or 4, but the Card fans just chuckled and even threw some high 5s. That's what happens when you're secure in your identity and your team.

The same must never be said of Cubs fans. If you ask fans of other teams within our division, they will return the same verdict as seems prevalent on this thread.

I'm curious, do the Brewers hold season ticket holders responsible for the actions of the people that use their seats? I know the Packers and Badgers will revoke season tickets if a fan using those seats is kicked out or arrested.

I am secretly wondering if a bench-clearing brawl between the Brewers and Cubs would somehow trickle the violence into the stands and start an all out riot.

But you just told us your secret.

Archived