Brewer Fanatic

Crowd behavior

bball123h
Should make it so only folks from Wisconsin can buy tickets to these games and or make so it so you have buy tickets to another series along with this one. Price it double for out of state buyers. While we got some bad apples of our own, I think alot of this attitude comes from the way Cubs fans conduct themselves on the road and some of our fans thinking they need to pay it back. You don't see this any other time besides when the Cubs come to town.

As a Brewers fan who lived in Chicago for several years, I highly disagree with this. I think a bigger problem is Brewers season ticket holders selling their to Cubs fans and spineless Brewers fans not coming out to their own home park because they're nervous about possible confrontations.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How does Ronnie Woo Woo afford airfare?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think a bigger problem is Brewers season ticket holders selling their to Cubs fans and spineless Brewers fans not coming out to their own home park because they're nervous about possible confrontations.

I disagree with this characterization - spineless. I pay to go to the stadium to watch the game, not be ridiculed by the 21 year old Cubs fan who just discovered beer. The confrontations are more than possible, they are highly probable, and it's not fun. Being in the crowd at a Cubs /Brewers game it is very often not possible to enjoy the game. I'm not spineless, I'm evaluating the product and I don't like it.

You may run like Mays...

I only get to a few games a year and I prefer not having to deal with drunk or obnoxious people while at games. I am not saying all Cubs fans are bad, just that Cubs/Brewers games have a higher chance for encountering obnoxious people.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I've been to several Cub Brewer games at MP and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Yeah, I've been to a few too and no problems at all. I've been to a few Brewer games at Wrigley (and one Sox game also) and no problems there either. I find it kind of fun having a significant number of fans from both teams in the park, actually. I have not been to one of these games in a while, due to the diffuculty of getting good honest tickets at a tasty price.

I am a season ticket holder that sells my games to Cubs fans (hence look at the avatar) and I don't feel an ounce of remourse for it. Does it make me not a true fan because I wanted to get some of my money back, sure, call me whatever the hell you want but I wanted playoff tickets, God willing, and I knew that I didn't want to go through EBay to have to rely on getting them.

Oh yeah, by the way, I feel that any fan that doesn't buy a full season ticket package, four seats, is not a true fan. My money is going to the Brewers regardless of where my tickets go. Also, I don't believe that the crowd makes any real difference.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"call me whatever the hell you want but I wanted playoff tickets"

So you can sell those too?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's really simple - if you don't want a ton of Cub fans buying tickets to watch the Cubs play in Milwaukee, the Milwaukee fans need to stop selling their tickets to them. Easier said than done if you ask me, especially when selling tickets to one of these games probably fills a car up with gas at least 3-4 times. Look at the series against Houston - when Brewer fans can sell the park out to watch them play against a last place team, they could easily do the same against the Cubs if they couldn't bear to watch the game from home and get some extra spending cash in return for their tickets. I think building a larger season ticket base would also go a long way - which is a very difficult task for baseball's smallest market, even if the team's playing awesome.

I'm sure a bunch of these tickets were bought before the season started by Cub fans, but I guarantee that at least half of the Cub fans at Miller Park this series bought their tickets from someone selling them online, or from ticket scalpers/brokers outside the stadium. If I'm a season ticket holder and some schmo offers me 10 times the face value of my tickets for the game, I'm probably selling them when it's a series in July, and I really don't care if he's wearing a C or an M on their hat - their money's good either way.

You see tons of Cub fans in St Louis and tons of Cards fans in Chicago during their series, too - I think they're just more used to looking at each other than Brewer/Cubs fans. I've had good times going to the games both at Miller Park and at Wrigley Field, because I've spent a majority of the games watching what's going on in the field instead of looking at a bunch of idiots screaming at each other. People looking for confrontations will always find others to start them with, but IMO those people aren't worth even acknowledging.

You're never going to have Miller Park 95% full of Brewer fans during a game with the Cubs when there's millions of Cub fans living within 100 miles of Miller Park down in Chicago. Chicago's basically 1/2 as far away from Milwaukee as Green Bay is. Part of it really is a Cub fan's sense of entitlement and a Brewer fan's inferiority complex with being the little guy, but the biggest reason is simply that baseball's smallest market is so close to baseball's 3rd largest market, and there's 81 home games for fans to attend, not 8 like in football.

I bought extra tickets for this series. Sold them all to Brewer fans.

I suppose they could have lied to me and told me they were Brewer fans, but they didn't know if I was a cub or Brewer fan from the start.

And I don't think it's all because Brewer fans are selling their tickets to cub fans. They can go online and buy the tickets as soon as they are available just like anyone else. I will give you that the greater majority of cub fans probably bought their tickets from Brewer fans thou.

Oh yeah, by the way, I feel that any fan that doesn't buy a full season ticket package, four seats, is not a true fan.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not. If you're not, then I really have a beef with what you wrote.

I hope he was just joking because I would guess a very large portion of posters here would find it impossible to buy a 4 seat full season ticket package including myself. What is that, $10 large?

Oh yeah, by the way, I feel that any fan that doesn't buy a full season ticket package, four seats, is not a true fan.
I live overseas and won't be attending a single Brewers game this season. Same goes for Brewers fans serving the US military abroad. Not to mention most of the Bf.netters scattered around the country who access this website and forum religiously because they can't attend games.

Where do we need to go to turn in our True Fan™ membership cards?

Edit: Because I didn't like the way my message looked the way it was originally.

I kind of like the "breathalizer" entry policy idea. And not just for Cubs games, either.

Funny thing about this thread, it would still exist but only be half as long had the Brewers held on to win last night. Plus, many that stated that they are "dreading" the game tonight would be more than "excited" about tonight's contest.

Cub fans are like that everywhere. They do it in Phoenix for D-Backs games. You can hear it on television at every Cubs road game. In some ways, I'd like to see them win the World Series this year so MAYBE some of those "fans" will back off a little. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but Red Sox fans have definitely "mellowed" a little bit these last 4+ years.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I hope he was just joking because I would guess a very large portion of posters here would find it impossible to buy a 4 seat full season ticket package including myself. What is that, $10 large?

Heck, I'm not even sure my budget for next year is going to allow me to keep my 20-Game Pack for two seats, in the stupid bleachers.

With the experience I've had out there, I'm not sure I want to anyway. Too many 20-something, drunk, college kids, not even really watching the game, for my liking.

Among the "4 seat full season" packages is the terrace ticket treat (or whatever the promotion is called), which ought to cost quite a bit less.

For sake of argument, I agree there are reasonably priced full-season packages out there. Even if one can't afford the cheapest season tickets, I'm sure there are ways to split costs with others to meet razorsharp's absurd 'season ticket ownership = true fan' threshold.

But my point in my above post still stands. The whole idea of having to attend games to be considered a 'true fan' is ridiculous. I'd love to attend all 81, 20, or even one, but I can't. This is why I'm here!

Community Moderator
A "true fan" is anyone who sticks with the team in the good times and the bad. It doesn't matter if they go to 1 game per year or 50, if you were following the Brewers in the bad years, even when there was only a distant glimmer of hope for the future, you deserve to be called a true fan.

I was going to post this before, but got side tracked, so here goes...

I would love to see a break down of how many people from Milwaukee attend the games, as a percentage of the total attendance. I know the Brewers rely heavily on people attending who live beyond the greater Milwaukee area. Personally, I sometimes wonder if the residents of Milwaukee itself couldn't do a better job getting to games. As someone who lives out in Jefferson County, I still make it to 10 or so games a year.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

There are always a lot of Cubs fans at opposing teams stadiums. There are a lot of people in Chicago and many of them have moved elsewhere, including here in LA. In LA, we are a city of transplants...so there's always plenty of the other teams fans at Dodger Stadium...including plenty of Brewers fans. Aside from a little good natured ribbing, it's usually ok.

I think the difference at the Cubs/Brewers games is the number of young males that make the trek up to the keg. I've always found games at Wrigley, especially the bleachers, to be a big drunken frat party. Its not the run of the mill Cubs season ticket holders that are coming up to Miller Park, its the bleachers crowd. Combine that with a big series for both teams where emotions are running high and the normal binge drinking tailgate atmosphere at Brewers games in general...and low and behold...its mayhem. Hopefully cooler heads and some better judgment can make for a better atmosphere tonight. Good luck to those of you going.

Archived