Brewer Fanatic

7/29/08 Cubs (Zambrano) at Brewers (Sheets): 7:05 CDT

rluzinski

Amazing...I wasn't sure but the Crew lost to the Cubs last night and low and behold the sun still did rise. That along with the fact that Russ started this thread is all the karma I need. Go Crew, even the series out, remember the Crew still leads the season series and these are two somewhat evenly matched teams.

That is all.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You were given game 1 on a silver platter, but yes it was still a win.

If you're talking about Rickie Weeks, that was a heck of a cross body block he was working around. Maybe he should have held the ball. If you're talking about the umpiring, personally I think the call on Cedeno was correct and I didn't get a close enough look at the Hart play. And even if they were both wrong - we all have to deal with bad calls on occasion. Besides, if you want to talk about a silver platter, refer back to May 1st.

Weeks should have made the play, or aspike the throw into the ground that wouldn't have let two score. Hall didn't cover in enough time at third otherwise Cedeno surely would have been out. If Hart doesn't try to stretch to three, he scores on Hall's hit. Hall doesn't get picked off that inning ... who knows. The point is the Brewers made a ton of mental mistakes still had a chnace and then the closer comes in and walks two in the ninth to get to Lee.

The Brewers did give the game away on a ---- sliver platter. Who cares about the umps, the Brewers could have one despite the bad calls but failed to perform. I hope they come out with a purpose (and stop swinging at junk out of the zone for that matter) tonight.

Weeks should have made the play, or aspike the throw into the ground that wouldn't have let two score. Hall didn't cover in enough time at third otherwise Cedeno surely would have been out. If Hart doesn't try to stretch to three, he scores on Hall's hit. Hall doesn't get picked off that inning ... who knows. The point is the Brewers made a ton of mental mistakes still had a chnace and then the closer comes in and walks two in the ninth to get to Lee.

In my opinion, if Hart doesn't try to stretch it to third, the throw does not get cut off, and Fielder is out at home.

Either way, as a whole, the Brewers need to eliminate the little mistakes that add up if they wish to be successful in the playoffs against teams that will make them pay for continued errors - physical or mental ones (for me, just getting there without advancing will be very disappointing).

It' goes both ways guys. If we didn't have Wendall Wavin Kim back in Mike Quade we had bases loaded with 1 out and who knows where Prince would be on the next play. Those 2 plays changed the whole tone of the game into Milwaukee's favor and maybe Lilly doesn't hang em to Hardy and Braun. Fact is, both teams had their chances, and the Cubs were the ones who came through when it came down to it. But it's only one game and the great thing about baseball is there's another game the next day.

This a must win for the fans, that's for sure. It's demoralizing to have to watch the Cubs fans celebrate at Miller Park. A win tonight and the next two games are gravy to them, as most Cubs fans would be satisfied with a split. It would make for a pretty tough situation on any Brewer fan attending the game on Wed. or Thur.
You sir, are correct! (EVEN if this cannot be statistically quantified! I am a mite taken aback)

As I am a holder of tickets to Wednesday's round 9 of the 16 round heavyweight belt fight, I would very much appreciate not having to walk out of the park after a rousing win still surrounded by smug drunkards content with the "so? we got the first 2" sentiment.

Ben, "co-ace" status is still good you know.

Something needs to reignite this thread. How about Weeks and Hall sitting tonight?

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/29/durham-branyan-in-hall-weeks-out.aspx

2B Ray Durham

SS J.J. Hardy

LF Ryan Braun

1B Prince Fielder

RF Corey Hart

3B Russell Branyan

CF Mike Cameron

C Jason Kendall

RHP Ben Sheets

Whether it was Yost's intention or not, I hope this sends the message to everyone that it's time to step up your game and quit the mental mistakes that seems to have defined this team's losses for the last year plus.

Something needs to reignite this thread. How about Weeks and Hall sitting tonight?

Whether it was Yost's intention or not, I hope this sends the message to everyone that it's time to step up your game and quit the mental mistakes that seems to have defined this team's losses for the last year plus.

Or it could just mean we're facing a righty. But I agree, I think Hall is sitting just because he's sucked against righties since the beginning of time, Weeks is sitting because of the fact we're facing a righty and last night's debacle.

Edit: Took out unnecessary part of the quote. Please watch what you're quoting.

Or it could just mean we're facing a righty. But I agree, I think Hall is sitting just because he's sucked against righties since the beginning of time, Weeks is sitting because of the fact we're facing a righty and last night's debacle.

I have a feeling if Branyan hadn't gone yard last night, Hall would be in tonight. Either way, I hope for a better approach tonight, which I'm confident will result in a much better result.

Benny can't afford to be off tonight -- he needs to be able to drop that curveball in for strikes, otherwise it'll likely be another short outing with a ton of pitches. The Cubs have shown all year that they don't swing at garbage like the Cubs of old, and we saw that last night when they weren't fooled by Sabathia's "cutter." Sheets needs to go right after them and make them beat him.

It'll be interesting to see how Ned manages the bullpen tonight if it's a save situation late. You have to imagine Torres is unavailable after throwing nearly 40 pitches in the 9th last night.

I'll predict a 4-3 walkoff win. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If Zambrano adjusts in the box, is it not just that he wears one?

Aren't there other outlets for Cubs fans to root on History's Losers, or must this be their deposit?

If benching Rickie, do we sacrifice that much defense by playing Durham instead of Counsell?

Why is the number on the game so low given Zambrano's road splits?

Who among us does not get joy listening to the contempt in Uecker's voice in mentions of Zambrano specifically or the Cubs in general?

I think the lineup change just means they're facing a tough RHP.

And yes, I think this is a must win game for the team, not just the fans.

They don't want to fall 3 games back after being only 1 game back with their two best pitchers going in the first two games.

Or that it reminds Bill Hall that he's not good at facing righties.

I'll say the Brewers win 5-3. I hope Sheets can go 6/7 or so innings, otherwise there might be a Mota sighting http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

cubfan1126 i would be careful about trash talk until the series ends.

me and most of the other cubs fans are being careful

I wouldn't trash talk in another teams forums. That's just cheesy and pretty low class. But it's always good to see someone willing to have a conversation about baseball, even though it's obvious you parents hated you and let you become a Cubs fan. ( I had to get a jab in! hehe)

Seeing as I was at the game and didn't get a good look at the hart play, I think it was wise of Hart to try to take 3rd to guarantee a run. I think fielder would have been out at home, especially since Soto already got a pretty big peice of prince and he came out well.. behind on that one, so he learned his lesson.

here's my hope for tonight: lets put an end to the black hole in our offense from the 6 hole through Rickie. Its getting bad enough that I only expect us to have a chance to score runs in certain innings, and when Hall Cameron and company hit, i'm just hoping for some walks or something.

come on brew lets get some offensive consistency

I'm sure I'll get my deserved lashings for this suggestion, but since McClung/Bush don't seem to be getting used when their turn is being skipped - how about starting McClung tonight? Put the first pitch in Soriano's ribs, and then let Benny take over the rest of the game. Seriously, who's gonna mess with Big Seth, knowing that Prince is coming in from first, and after last night, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sabathia being the first guy off the bench.

Probably would be dangerous carryover over into in the crowd based on the discussion in the major league forum, but in a team bonding brawl, gotta like the way the Brewers would stack up (add in Branyan & Kapler off the bench vs. Fontenot & Cedeno). Hope Rickie doesn't pull something by swinging & missing, and need to be sent to Nashville for some rehab. Sorry, bad attempt at humor aside, I'm hoping that there are some independent fans out there that can confirm that while Braun is cocky, he isn't perceived as arrogant as Soriano? Like the polls about dirtiest player, does anyone know if a list of most obnoxious exists?

Truly an original thought, although the downside is fairly obvious for both teams. Daryle Ward can go pound for pound with anyone - Fielder. Not to mention the fact Samardzija could come out in the first inning and put a 98 mph fastball in Braun's ear as retribution before sending Z out to do his thing.

Seriously though in a brawl I'd take the Brewers over the Cubs.

Yay, Brewers on TV in Minnesota! Will have to mute the announcers most of the game though http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Huge start for Ben Sheets. The defense must help him more than they did Sabathia last night.

Maybe tonight Fielder adds to his NL lead in GW RBI for the season.

First inning will be big for #15. If he is on, you can see it early...if he gives up runs, it seems to be early.

but in 2 of is losses, he gave up the runs later on in the game (dodgers game in may, rockies game earlier this month)

Community Moderator

A Brewers-Cubs brawl would be great entertainment, but I could see a repeat of the Pistons/Pacers.

It probably won't happen tonight, but sooner or later someone is going to throw at Braun and ignite something. Lou probably wouldn't do it, but La Russa would.

Archived