Brewer Fanatic

Turnbow has rotator cuff tear

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/28/turnbow-has-rotator-cuff-tear.aspx

How much adversity can one pitcher stand?

Derrick Turnbow is about to find out. The Brewers' former closer has been diagnosed with a slight undersurface tear of the rotator cuff in his pitching shoulder.

Turnbow will be examined Wednesday by team physician William Raasch to determine whether he will undergo surgery or merely physical therapy as a course of action. Either way, he is done for the 2008 season.

"It's been a tough year for him, no doubt," said Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash. "Dr. Raasch will determine the next step."

Turnbow was sent down to Class AAA Nashville at the beginning of May after a horrible first month with the Brewers. He continued to struggle with his control there, walking 41 hitters in 18 innings, with 10 wild pitches. In 18 outings, he had a 10.50 ERA.

Turnbow can be a free agent after the season and this latest development all but assures that he will be in a different organization next year. He's going to be a free agent in any event.

I hope, personally, that if the worst case happens and he is done, Brewers fans will look back and remember the guy fondly. I'd rather remember when Turnbow for when he'd come in and be lights out, than when he was falling apart before getting sent to AAA.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Kind of makes you wonder how long it's been there, as if he's been trying to pitch with this, you'd think it might have been a major factor in his problems.

I was thinking the same thing.

As far as feeling bad, I do feel bad for him. He did make a lot of money, but I thought the booing in Miller Park was a joke for him. Turnbow is a good guy and it's not like he wanted to fail. Fans can turn quickly in Milwaukee, but I do hope Turnbow makes it back.

I'd rather remember when Turnbow for when he'd come in and be lights out, than when he was falling apart before getting sent to AAA.
I don't ever remember Turnbow being lights out.

Turnbow was rock star. He was always wild and walking players. But it sure was a fun ride.

Turnbow was rock star. He was always wild and walking players. But it sure was a fun ride.

2005: 67 Innings, 64 K, 24 BB, 1.74 ERA, 1.08 WHIP

Pretty lights out.

Some of you are familiar with my extensive history of turning my back (firmly) on Brewers closers who have let me down. For some reason, I never felt that way about Derrick.

I'm truly sorry to hear of yet another setback for him (while also wondering how long this might have existed and how many questions it might answer about his performance).

This makes me feel extra lucky that we were in attendance when he got his last major league save (April 23 vs. Philadelphia). That's a moment I'll remember when I think of him.

Thanks for the memories, Derrick, and good luck.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The brewers bandwagon started in 2006 I believe. In 2005, it was still 12,000 faithful in the stands each night, so not many people remember the lights out turnbow. The bandwagon fans didnt give this a guy a break at all because they just remembered his rough patch in 2006. In 2007, he was one of the better relievers in baseball. He had his moments but was effective for the most part. No need to boo like they did. I blame this all on the bandwagon fans of 2006.

I find it really hard to blame Turnbow's woes on bandwagon fans who booed him.

He pitched over his head for a good time. He was not an all star caliber pitcher. That's why we got him for free in the first place. It was one of Doug's few mistakes in not realizing this and dealing him while he still had value.

Derrick "smoke and mirrors, scared of every hitter, never comfortable on the mound, ol' college try, wing it and see, stumble in the dark, blind squirrel finds nuts, please don't hurt me, how'd I do that, here's a walk please take it, hope you don't figure me out NL" Turnbow was never lights out. He pulled the wool over some eyes, however.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

A couple of years ago when I was playing HS baseball, I had a rotator cuff impingement (the rotator cuff was being pinched between the bones of my shoulder when I would throw hard). This made it so when I threw, my shoulder would hurt so much that I would have to let my arm sit limp to my side for maybe 15-20 seconds until the pain subsided.

I can only imagine that Turnbow was experiencing the same/ a similar kind of experience. This might have something to do with his struggles, but he never compained of pain or any discomfort (that I know of). Hopefully gets it fixed, gets a contract (albeit small) with some club and comes back to have some success.

Derrick "smoke and mirrors, scared of every hitter, never comfortable on the mound, ol' college try, wing it and see, stumble in the dark, blind squirrel finds nuts, please don't hurt me, how'd I do that, here's a walk please take it, hope you don't figure me out NL" Turnbow was never lights out. He pulled the wool over some eyes, however.

Well thank goodness we have people like you who aren't fooled by his smoke and mirror 2005 numbers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

2005: 67 Innings, 64 K, 24 BB, 1.74 ERA, 1.08 WHIP

I still don't understand how these stats aren't 'lights out'.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It would shock me if fixing his arm fixed his head as well. Turnbow has pretty much gone Ankiel on the mound. He needs mental therapy on top of physical therapy. Maybe he will get both.

I don't think this is something that we, as fans, are in any position to speculate on. If he's been carrying this injury for awhile, that's all the explanation I need - if it hurts to pitch, you're not going to be successful, regardless of any mental issues.

He never indicated it hurt. If it was hurting and he didn't say anything about it, my comments about his mental state are still valid. Turnbow pretty much went Ankiel the day after he came back from the All Star game in 2006.

There's no way to fluke your way to the season Derrick produced in 2005. He was a great pitcher at the time. I'll never understand why people are so harsh to players that, for whatever reason, fail. Then again, maybe I need look no further than the Crowd Behavior thread for my answer.

Seemed to be plenty of BoD in the stands last night after Rickie K'ed following his botched double play. I must admit, I would have been tempted to turn into a dbag in that circumstance had I been in attendance. I sure in hell wouldn't start clapping and yell "go get'm next time Rickie." That euphemism styled approach is good for little leaguers, but I don't see why these multi-million dollar grown men need their feelings protected the way some would like it. Its part of the job description. Don't like it, get a new job.

I have booed after outcomes many times, but I will qualify myself as to say I have never booed in anticipation of poor play.

2005 wasn't lights out because some people are so blinded by their hatred of a player that they they are willing to bend reality to feed that contempt. It's scary how personal it can get get for some people. 99.99% of pitchers with a sub 2 ERA for a season are playing over their heads. Still, Turnbow had a great year by any measure you want to use. Great ERA and save %. Great secondary numbers. There was good reason to think that he would never get close to repeating those kind of numbers but for that year, he was unbelievable.

I know:

"He was never good! He may have fooled some of you but he never fooled me! I looked into his eyes and I saw the soul of a scared little girl!"

Seemed to be plenty of BoD in the stands last night after Rickie K'ed following his botched double play. I must admit, I would have been tempted to turn into a dbag in that circumstance had I been in attendance. I sure in hell wouldn't start clapping and yell "go get'm next time Rickie." That euphemism styled approach is good for little leaguers, but I don't see why these multi-million dollar grown men need their feelings protected the way some would like it. Its part of the job description. Don't like it, get a new job.

I have booed after outcomes many times, but I will qualify myself as to say I have never booed in anticipation of poor play.

Yeah I can see how Rickie would have a tough time figuring out for himself that he was having a rough game. I think about 10,000 fans booing would help him realize he was having a horrible game.

I guess that I never understood why I need to further point out what the Player already knows. I am pretty sure that Rickey felt bad enough about it already.

Archived