Brewer Fanatic

Would you make a good MLB manager?

No, and none of us would have the "street cred" with the players to pull it off. I think some of you (not me) have enough knowledge to pull it off, but without any MLB expereince, you would have no respect from anyone in the clubhouse.

I've done some assisting at a high school varsity level. At that age, the parents and players are the toughest part of the jobs. Writing out the lineup is easy, explaining why someone is sitting is not.

Early in the season, our leadoff guy and CF went down with an elbow injury, but could still swing a bat. Being his senior year with a good swing and a good base stealer, he wanted to (and deserved to) be the DH. Unfortunately, we had another guy who could swing it pretty well but was not even passable in the field at any position. He was about 5-7, close to 200, and had a poor arm, but did have decent pop at the plate. Demoting him from being our DH most of the time to a guy who would get 2 or 3 ABs a week was one part of the job I do not miss at all.

No, the experience of being player/manager on a couple of local softball teams was bad enough. Handling all of the personalities and delicate egos in that situation was bad enough, but I can only imagine what it is like dealing with professional athletes. It would take the fun right out of the game. I'll stick to APBA or the franchise mode on a video game.

I had a key game that year against another contender for the league title where our 2nd best pitcher pitched 6 innings of decent ball, but was up to 98 pitches and got out of the 6th unscathed with a few hard hit outs and a 3-2 lead. With a high pitch count and some poor control, we decided to go with our clear number 1 guy to get the save.

After a lead off walk and an error, he was able to get a strike out then a double play to preserve the win. After the game, what's the 1st thing the starter's parent says to me? "When is my kid going to stop playing in (closer's) shadow?"

If anything, I thought we left him in too long because he was lucky to get out of the 6th. We, and the starter, still got the W, and this is the reaction. I can only imagine how it gets when guys are playing with huge contracts, are trying to maximize their market value, and have no relationship with these guys outside of being a teammate. At least at lower levels, guys grow up together or go to school with each other. Once you start coaching the pros, all those bonds are gone and it's every man for himself. I can't imagine some of the issues Yost has to try to deal with.

I coached youth baseball for five years. I have a lot of great memories, but some of the parents, and opposing coaches, pretty much cured any desire I might have had to find out if I could be a major league manager.

Nope. I couldn't do any of the actual coaching of hitting/pitching/fielding, dealing with clubhouse issues, dealing with media, etc.

However, I think if I got to sit in a little room where nobody ever saw me, and fill out the lineup cards and make the in-game decisions - I think maybe I could do that well, possibly better than Ned.

Oh man, running a softball team is the worst.

Even when we had really good teams, there would be at least 4 games a year where I'd be scrambling to find someone to fill in, just hours before the game.

Then you suggest the next year that we maybe add a couple more players to the roster, but no, can't do that, someone may have to sit then.

as my signature clearly shows, I can manage in the big leagues. Six championships in twenty years says something.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Hey, why bother replacing the manager when we could replace the whole team with BF.Net softball All-Stars from Madison and Milwaukee. That team'd go 150-12 no matter who was managing!

So basically just the 11-0 Madison team?

Archived