Brewer Fanatic

Would you make a good MLB manager?

didn't ted Turner try managing once? If memory serves that turned out poorly. My ego would like to think I could manage a playoff caliber team to at least a winning record but I have a huge ego.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

i'd probably be the best manager in baseball, provided that I could go back in time with my brilliant hindsight observations http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

but in all seriousness, no. we love to rip ned and other managers, but none of us have the experience needed to get the job done. I'd love the chance to fail, though!

Yah, I think almost any outgoing person of average or greater intelligence with a desire to manage in baseball could be taught the requisite skills to do the job. No mystical powers are required to do the job. Just a highish level of baseball knowledge and people management ability.

Could anyone just walk off the street and step into an MLB manager's role with no prior training? Of course not. People can't just walk of the street to be an accountant, CEO, studio musician, professor or electrical engineer either.

Edit:

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/0b3357814b9b9bf8d82b9ef62c0f9d9a5d6b114.jpg

Can I be your bench coach FTJ? You'll need one to blame if it all goes wrong. With me as your sidekick you could just blame me for for letting some Yost love filter in.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

What most ciriticize about a manager is his in-game strategies. That's probably the most visible part of the job, but in reality may be the least time consuming aspect. I want to believe I could manage a game well; it's the other stuff that would drag me down.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think managing a baseball team is nearly as complicated as someone like Ned would have you believe. Really, the big decisions are: 1) lineup 2) handling the pitching staff 3) maybe a double switch here and there in the NL. There's enough statistical data out there to make most of those decisions automatic.

Having said that, I couldn't step in and just manage a team because I'd probably be second guessing myself all the time. Especially if stats said one thing and my instincts said something else. I probably wouldn't have the stones to go with stats over instinct. I'm guessing this is the same issue Ned has - exacerbated by caffeine addiction.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't think managing a baseball team is nearly as complicated as someone like Ned would have you believe. Really, the big decisions are: 1) lineup 2) handling the pitching staff 3) maybe a double switch here and there in the NL. There's enough statistical data out there to make most of those decisions automatic.

I agree with this aspect of the job, but I think it's hard for any of us to know how difficult or I guess easy it is to manage the clubhouse. I think that would be the most difficult part of the job. I know we all can knock Weeks, Counsell, Cameron, etc. when they play bad, but a manager has to deal with them in the clubhouse and has to balance the good of team with not letting the players get upset at the manager or other team members.

I couldn't see myself being any worse than Ned Yost. So if you think Ned Yost is a good manager, then I too would be a good manager. Personally, I think I would be an awful manager, mainly because all the bad attitude, ultra sensitive players would hate me upon first or second contact.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

While youth baseball and Major League Baseball are only related because it's baseball, I think anyone who has spent time around the game knows it's harder to manage the kids than the game.

In helping coach my son's U-14 team this summer, managing line-ups and pitching staffs has been a breeze. Getting the LFer to play LF because he's not a shortstop, or convincing a kid hitting 9th that its nothing personal, or convincing the kid who can't throw strikes he shouldn't ask to pitch is way more challenging.

I suspect Major League managers, the successful ones, are more managers of people with baseball knowledge than baseball guys without people skills.

Could I do it? Maybe, but I doubt it. Would I want to? No way.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

From a strat-o-matic level of management I think I could do it. From an actual people skills etc standpoint I'd be a lousy manager.

Generally how I feel. Also, I would think playing experience is much more important for a manager than a GM.

Also, that makes me think of this flic from my childhood.

http://theunnatural.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/little-big-league_220x320.jpg

Of course I wouldn't be a good manager. I've never even managed a High School game. There's a lot of small details that I'd miss because I wouldn't have the experience of the job. If anybody on bf.net thinks they could step in and be manager or GM of the Brewers and do a formidable job, they are mistaken. I will rubber stamp that by saying that's just my opinion.

Archived