Brewer Fanatic

Official Scoring at Miller Park: changes or deficiencies?

Sundown Kid

During the TV broadcast yesterday it was stated that Weeks was charged with an error on the ball hit by Tejada in the 5th. In the box score today, however, there is no error and all eight runs given up by Suppan are earned. Did I miss a scoring change during the game, or was this yet another after-the-game change (Cameron had two such occasions recently)?

Yost recently criticized the official scoring at Miller Park. Has anyone noticed any changes in scoring decisions recently? I have no evidence myself; I'm merely fishing for an interesting conspiracy theory.

And in regards to the Weeks play, we need the immortal Lou Brown to come in and lecture Weeks about "olay" defense.

This thread was initially locked, and discussion was directed to yesterday's in-game thread.

It's been re-titled and reopened. The focus can be on any relevant scoring decisions.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Or how about Cameron's whiff in the OF a couple weeks back that was ruled a double when any common person knows that it should have been an out and Cam just screwed up? If that isn't the definition of an error I don't know what is.

The Weeks E was the worst I've seen all year. O'Driscoll has been awful for years, as Ned pointed out, but he's officially lost it.

Yeah and on television Schroeder was all despondent that Weeks was charged with an "E" to begin with. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

According to Jim and Bob, O'Driscooll is the best, most impartial scorer in the NL. They couldn't possibly be wrong could they? Maybe we're used to other teams doing favors for the home team, so we think it's bad when there's not much of it here.

As far as this play goes, everyone makes mistakes. He changed it in game as I was informed by Bob that the scorer came over between innings and asked him for a second opinion. (Bob wouldn't lie about that would he?)

I tried google searching but couldn't find anything. Maybe I was using the wrong search criteria. I wonder if there are stats out there that show how many errors are recorded at each stadium. Perhaps showing which stadium scorers are more or less likely to give an error on a play. I'm sure it would be real subjective because certain pitchers at home will get scoring calls made that charge an error to a fielder when other pitchers wouldn't get that to save ERA and the same would be true for a batter to allow for a base hit rather than an error.

When I was at the game yesterday, a few fans and I had an arguement about should it be and error or not. It seemed like the more knowledgeable the fan was the more he thought it wasn't an error. Being a second basemen myself that looked like a tough play to me.

I have now heard from a couple "insiders" at Miller Park who say O'Driscoll is a good guy who tries hard, but the players all say he's far tougher than any other park, which costs them hits and gives them errors. He's tough on both teams, so he's not a "homer", but it is well known he gives errors out like ice water.

Ned never complains about umpires, but even he said how different it is at MP. It's very apparent.

I have now heard from a couple "insiders" at Miller Park who say O'Driscoll is a good guy who tries hard

Was one of the insiders Ned Yost? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Seriously, I'll agree with the insiders. I had him as a teacher in high school and he was cool.

The ball that Weeks kicked, that was hit by Fukudome was ruled a hit? That seems generous for Rickie. It didnt look difficult at all. Is the new rule now that if you have to move at all to field a ball that it is a hit if you boot it?

This may be impractical, but there should really be a few guys that decide all the official scoring. Just go through the tapes after the games are played, so that way there isn't any homerism.

I do agree O'Driscoll is horrible. Whoever was doing the scoring in SF was just about as bad.

The official scoring in all major league ball parks is a joke. Saying O'Driscoll is one of the best is damning with faint praise.

More errors should be given out, but they aren't not. These guys are major league ball players. Far too many routine plays are scored as hits on the road. O'Driscoll is better, but he shouldn't have changed the error yesterday.

I guess the fielders are the only ones that can complain about the official scorer. How many earned runs did that cost Suppan yesterday? 3?

The one yesterday, I haven't been able to see a replay of. (They don't include highlights of error type plays for some reason). The one tonight... that I felt was an error when I saw it, but was tough enough that I won't crucify the scorer over calling it a hit.

The ball that Weeks kicked, that was hit by Fukudome was ruled a hit? That seems generous for Rickie. It didnt look difficult at all. Is the new rule now that if you have to move at all to field a ball that it is a hit if you boot it?

The game is on my DVR, Weeks made the play look much tougher than it needed to be because for whatever reason, he fell down while trying to backhand a ball that was only a few feet to the right of him. If Weeks would have full out dove for the ball, it would have hit him in the chest or stomach.

I'm at the point where I've given up blaming the scorer and just started blaming the system. Mike Cameron loses a ball in the lights but it hits his glove so it's an error (although it was changed later)... but Carlos Lee is too slow to get to an easy fly ball so it's a hit. Errors are just a stupid statistic. Either the guy got on base or he didn't, it doesn't really matter to me if he "earned" the base or not, he's there. Maybe I just don't put as much stock in finding someone to blame for the guy being there, because honestly, there are so many different variables that it's not any one person's fault on an error. Maybe the catcher calls for a different pitch and it's not hit to the same guy, maybe the pitcher throws a better pitch and and gets a swing and a miss, maybe the fielder gets a better jump on a fly ball because another outfielder is telling him "back, back" when he takes a step in initially.

Archived