Brewer Fanatic

Cuil

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Anyone going to try the new search engine? Cuil.com founded by some old google employees. I'm going to try it because I don't like Google for personal reasons. At first glance, it might take some getting used to but hopefully that's just because I'm so used to Google.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah that was kind of annoying and for some reason it came back with no results the first time I tried a pretty common search. So I went back and tried the same thing and it worked.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

i searched for Professional ___ ___ and only got results for "professional". so i guess quotes matter. tried the term in quotes, but i'm guessing the server's flooded today or something?

eh, just another search engine. doesn't matter; Google is already like Q-Tips or Kleenex, that the brand name is better-known than the product itself.

There are two links on the first page, one of which is "about cuil", which is a broken link. Not a good start.

I am also mystified as to why the 3 column search results seemed like a good idea. I'm up for trying new things, but this is an awful, awful search engine.

I think too many people are trying Cuil right now, because anything on the site, even the site itself, is only working intermittently. I imagine they're getting far more traffic than they expected to - the flipside of that is, of course, if they want to be the #1 search engine on the web, they need to be able to handle the traffic.

I can imagine many things, including this, being better than Google, but maybe I just have a vivid imagination.

what is cuil? I mean the word itself, how do you say it and what is it supposed to mean? Is it a cutesy name like ICQ where it's supposed to sound like something else? If not, it looks gaelic or otherwise celtic to me, which seems like a poor choice considering those languages are practically unpronounceable.

According to the story on Drudge - cuil is an old celtic word for knowledge.

whats the problem with google?

That's like asking what was wrong with the horse and carriage. Innovation is always a good thing. New ideas and competition breed better products.

Google is the search I will use before and after cuil, but I have no problem with people trying to come up with a better option.

whats the problem with google?

I've read more than once they are very poor at maintaining confidentiality. They routinely give out information without the users knowledge.

I don't think that's the case at all. There were some potential concerns about the gmail offering that it would target ads based on the content of your emails, but that was done algorithmically, not by handing out the content of your emails.

I think the main concern people have with Google is that it is a nearly omnipresent monopoly, with the potential to do bad. They haven't yet, but they have the potential. Good thing their company motto is "don't do evil."

I don't think that's the case at all. There were some potential concerns about the gmail offering that it would target ads based on the content of your emails, but that was done algorithmically, not by handing out the content of your emails.

http://www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

http://www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html

Looks like a conspiracy theory website to me...

Matt Cutts, a key Google engineer, used to work for the National Security Agency. Google wants to hire more people with security clearances, so that they can peddle their corporate assets to the spooks in Washington.
"spooks" ... "peddle their corporate assets" ? Seems pretty objective to me. I looked at their 8 points where they try to demonize Google, and honestly, it's a joke. They log all IP addresses and dates and times? That's just normal web usage statistics. By that rationale, people should start a Brewerfan watchdog site.

I have no vested interest other than the fact that I use Gmail and Google Reader... two things that I could do without if push came to shove. I think now that Microsoft's been taken down a peg, people are scanning for the next "big brother" unfairly. I'm all for competition and innovation, but I don't feel that Google is sending the world to hell in a handbasket.

a giant corporation learning about my search habits isn't the biggest worry in my life. even if it's a customized "Buy Brewers Gear Here!!!!" pop-up ad instead of a general one, it's going to be equally annoying.

besides, can't you buy stuff or get a program that scrambles your IP address?

Archived