Brewer Fanatic

7/28/08 Cubs (Lilly) at Brewers (Sabathia): 7:05 CDT

wibadgers23
  • Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got home from the game:

-The Cubs fans are more insufferable than ever. Section 234 was mooned by a drunk chick (obviously a Cubs fan). There was a middle aged Cubs fan proudly displaying a "Wrigley North" sign. He also implicated a Brewers fan wearing a shirt that used Fukudome's name to display a derogatory message about the Cubs. That pissed me off. I had a few choice words with him after the game.

-I really don't believe there is a less classier fanbase than that of the Cubs in all of sports. Their sense of entitlement and lack of respect for somebody else's stomping ground is stunning. Guys, we can't continue to sell tickets to these people.

-Being in the bleachers, it was almost as if I saw the Weeks play in slow-motion. It was SO off-line...disgusting.

-Despite all my griping, it was a tremendous baseball game.

I was there too. Cubs fans remain as classless as ever; they were real treats tonight, ugh. That being said, what a fantastic game albeit obviously a poor outcome. The 6th-9th innings were absolutely electric; it really had a playoff feel to it, if you know what I mean.

I wasn't there so I can't speak to what happened tonight at MP, but my Cubs fan friends always say it's "sour grapes" and an exaggeration when I tell him that visiting Cubs fans have a bad reputation EVERYWHERE, not just Milwaukee. But every time I've gone to parks elsewhere on the West Coast and Midwest the home fans all have told me the same thing about what an insufferable, obnoxious group they are on the whole. I can't think of another fanbase that brags so much about so little.

ANYWAY, I don't want that to sound like a sour grapes rant--Cubs definitely won the game tonight. Obviously Weeks' performance didn't help, but they put CC and Torres on the hook, got timely hitting, and there were some flashes of the old Marmol tonight. I still like our chances the rest of the week.

You go to games against the Twins and Cardinals at Miller Park and there are plenty of opposing fans at the game. I don't like to hear them cheer but hey, what do you expect? They are otherwise respectful, so no complaints here.

I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions but I get the impression that the average Cubs fan doesn't even know the rules to the game of baseball. I don't even like to attend those games anymore.

I've never once had an issue with Cardinals fans. I have a high amount of respect for them -- they are a classy, classy organization. And they hate the Cubs as much (or more) as we do.

The Cubs fans are simply overcompensating for their insecurities. Add the fact that they are popular bandwagon team, and you find a bunch of drunken, unintelligent dolts coming to Miller Park.

By the way, out of curiosity, did anybody at the game hear any Cubs fans saying: "At least we have fans at our games" OR "You need all of us Cubs fans to fill your home park"

I was at the game tonight, sat in front of some of the least educated Cubs fans ever (why isn't Sosa in the Hall of Fame, anyone?). That said, they obviously have money because the teenage girl said "daddy can we come tomorrow night?" and pops replied "I'm sure we can find someone to sell us their tickets".

Justify it anyway you want, season ticket holders, but if we are getting 35,000 in for non-Cubs games then a shedload of "fans" are coining in and selling theirs to Cubs fans, judging by the number at the game tonight.

Enjoy the cash, and revel in the resultant lack of a home field advantage while you blame someone on the field for failing to do their part...

By the way, out of curiosity, did anybody at the game hear any Cubs fans saying: "At least we have fans at our games" OR "You need all of us Cubs fans to fill your home park"
No, but on the way down the terrace escalator I heard what seemed like a group of 100 of them singing that stupid "Go Cubs Go" song and I was angry and ashamed and embarassed to be standing there at that particular moment.

For all the well deserved bashing of Weeks, the guy who was equally responsible for this one was 3rd base umpire Doug Eddings, annually one of the worst umpires in baseball. It's not often the 3rd base umpire can cost you a game but last night he did. Hart was safe and would have scored on Hall's single. Cedeno was clearly tagged on the helmet by Hall before touching 3rd. That would have made the force out at second the last out of the inning costing the Brewers 2 more runs.

Ok, to all of you blaming Hall for not covering 3rd I think you are off base. He got there in time and I think the guy was out because he put his foot in front of the base and it appeared that his hand hit Halls foot first. Also, there is no way he could have heard anyone yelling "going" because the crowd was going nuts at that point. So maybe if he was there a second earlier it would have appeared he was out but I don't know if it makes much of a difference and actually it looked like he was out anyway.

As for Weeks, he really dissapointed me. The double play he really sallyed that throw because he was going to get hit. That pisses me off. He didn't commit to it. And the other ones he booted were plays that need to be made.

We gave this game away tonight and it bothers me. Sheets needs to be a stud tonight!

Boy way too much negativity over one game. Step back from the ledge people.
It's not just one game. This was the best chance we have out of all 4 games. A loss tomorrow would be devestating. Its harder to take a loss like this when its at Miller Park and there are so many Cub fans there. It's sickening.

I think that is a ridiculous exageration and I'm a Cubs fan.

CC has been your best pitcher the few weeks, but historically several of the Cubs have hit him really well. He pitched a solid game last night. Just like Lilly did. Neither team has a ton of holes in the starting rotation. It isn't as if the rest of your staff are a bunch of lemons. So your odds tonight are just as good if not better than the odds were last night. Sheets is throwing. He's perfectly capable of shutting the Cubs down. Just like Zambrano could well toss a gem of his own.

Neither team is playing the Pirates right now. These are two well matched teams. Last night Weeks and Torres and some timely Cubs' hitting cost you the game. Tonight? Who knows. Point being, I think the odds on each of these games are very tight.

The presence of Cubs fans here seems to me to be provocative, but whatever. We've been dealing with them long enough to know it's futile to debate their m.o. For instance, I don't go into their message boards, other than to gather the perfume of their pain, and root on the Brewers. Not my place nor is it the place for it. Again, whatever. Their comeuppance is coming.

Maybe we could famish a Cubs fan like they did in the old days. During the NLCS and the World Series, have him shackled in a cage next to Bernie's slide so he can watch, and enter his team's second century of losing while the little hamlet to the north exults in its champions.

Tonight is the overture for what's to come, I promise you.

Now I can't trust anything you say anymore.

Archived