Brewer Fanatic

How many players on average do teams sign.

I was looking through the official pick/signing thread, and I could not help notice that alot of players after round 30 had not signed yet. I was just wondering two things. First of all, how many players that sign are considered a good amount for a team, is 40 players too many to expect. Secondly, obviously there are issues with Lawrie, that prevented him from signing right away, but is it unusual for players to sign later. At this stage in the game with only about three weeks left to sign players, is it unlikley to sign the remaining players, or do alot of players sign with a week to go.

The Brewers typically sign 23-25 or so players from each of their drafts, so having so many players signed so quickly this year is especially encouraging. 40 would be an awful lot, as you only have so many roster spots to hand out in the lower levels of the system, as 30 is probably on the high side. I wouldn't expect many of the unsigned players to sign moving forward, Lawrie obviously seems like a lock and I'm guessing there will be a surprise among the picks in the 30-50 range similar to Zarraga signing late last year. You typically don't see a lot of players sign as the signing deadline approaches. You may see 1-2 per team.

Once Lawrie signs, we will have signed our first 26 picks of this draft, and if Knecht signs (is there a known holdup on this? Is he heading to Oklahoma State?) we'll have signed our top 30 picks! How rare is it to have that many high draft picks signed without a single no-sign?

Archived