Brewer Fanatic

Yost VS Lou

brewmann04
TLB -- be careful, you're getting a little soft. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Nah, TLB is pretty fair with Yost. Doesn't like him and thinks we can do better, but pretty fair.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Since we bring up Lou Pinella, is starting Reed Johnson over Fukudome a good idea? I know CC kills lefties so maybe it is.

Fukudome has been pretty terrible this past month and hasn't been great since April. For July he has a .591 OPS and 24 K in 75 AB. I think resting him against a tough lefty is good managing at this point.

you know, I really don't want to fight here (i'm old . . creaky), but I disagree.

Lou Piniella is a much better manager than Yost. Last night when Lou DIDN'T bring in the lefthander to face Fielder and instead walked him and had Gaudin get Hart, then DIDN'T bunt with Fontenot are examples. Lou doesn't play strictly by the book. Yost does (hence Torres in the 9th). Unfortunatly for that, that means when Lou fails, everyone screams and when Yost does we just say's "that's what the book says!"

But Lou's biggest deal comes from taking heat off the players AFTER the game. The reporters flock to him for the good soundbite and let the players alone for the most part. Even in a toxic media town like Chicago (where Mariotti is spoiling for a fight with his own paper's beat reporters). Lou takes the heat and gives 'em what they want so they don't even have time to go down to the clubhouse, they're too busy trying to post a Lou rant to beat each other to the punch. There is something to be said for that.

Last years Barrett v. Zambrano deal would have eaten most teams in a cancerous mess, but Lou handled it internally and got rid of the problem, even when most analysts argued Barrett's bat was invaluable.

Yost's handling of most players issues (last year's Estrada mess, this year's Hall issues) are to pretend that they don't exist, so then they stew openly.

just my thoughts.

"hence Torres in the 9th"

As a note, I would consider that to be unconventional managing because Torres is the closer, and we didn't have a lead. I thoroughly agree with that decision, it just didn't work out.

Then the book has it right in that situation. There were only two options, Villanueva and Torres. I would have been fine with either.

Whoever gives you the best chance to not give up a run is the person you want out there at the time.

By the way, Gagne was shaky, but still only gave up one baserunner. I'm starting to get a bit more optimistic about him. I don't think I would put him in in a high leverage situation (baserunners on, less than 2 outs), but I'm not having an issue with giving him a late inning in a close ballgame.

Lou Piniella is a much better manager than Yost.

Agreed wholeheartedly -- I think the TB D-Ray experiment failed, but overall -- Lou has done pretty well wherever he has managed. I don't question that he

has better control of his team and fans.

It also appears that Lou is "with child" -- an incredible and amazing accomplishment as well, which probably will get him into the HOF. My theory is that in the Wrigley Field laboratories they successfully cloned Mark Prior with the arm durability of Fergie Jenkins and the hitting ability of Bill Madlock. Initially Ron Santo was designated to host the Super-Cub clone, but wiser minds prevailed, and Lou will give birth in the dugout during the 2009 spring training.

Considering how badly we got beaten in almost every game, I doubt that anything either manager did had much bearing on the outcome of the games.

I agree.

With the way the Brewers played (or rather didn't show up for the series), the cubs could have had a 12-year old manager, and the Brewers could have had LaRussa, Joe Torre, or whoever you think is the best manager of all-time, heck all three of them in the Brewer dugout and it still wouldn't have made a difference.

I don't get it.

Lou bunts in the 1st inning, nobody out, in Parra's game. Right there is about as big an in-game management mistake as you can make in my mind - the whole idea of playing "small ball". Many managers do it, and in my book it's an automatic disqualification as a "better than Yost" in-game manager. On top of that (although admittedly from a distance) he appears to be a guy that regularly kills his bullpen. And - from what I've seen - he's done it since he took the three-headed bullpen monster in Cincinnati to a World Series Championship --- further proof (again, in my mind) that managers don't make much difference.

I'm sure he's fine in the clubhouse, and deflects criticism from his players as some have suggested. I don't see how that's any different than Yost, though.

Lou gets a better rep because A) he was a better player, B) he played and managed in New York, and C) he happened to be lucky enough to have managed some good teams.

Lou gets a better rep because A) he was a better player, B) he played and managed in New York, and C) he happened to be lucky enough to have managed some good teams.

Add in that he now manages in Chicago, and I completely agree.

Great overall post on Piniella, I think that completely sums up why I think he's drastically overrated -- especially by Brewers fans.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived