Brewer Fanatic

Yost VS Lou

brewmann04

Well H2H this year, Yost is 4-2. I stand by the ATL man. I still think he was right in batting the pitcher eighth and while he does have a bit more truth than I appreciate in his pitchers, many times he is right which only reinforces the newfound confidence the pitcher gets when he succeeds. Sweet Lou has been riding Marmol too hard this year, while Yost's only whipping boy would be his LOOGy, Shouse. I'll say it, In Yost I trust.

This is my first post here.

I think Lou is probably better at working with players and sets his lineup better. Yost did experiment with hitting the pitcher eighth, which is a good thing. but then, he will do something like platooning his fifth starters.

They both make a lot of dumb in-game decisions, though. Lou uses Marmol and Howry way too much and has a tendency to burn pinch hitters unnecessarily. Yost double switches a little too much.

I think the Cubs come out ahead here, but both have their strong points and their negative points.

Few managers in the big leagues could be worse than Ned in spotting trends and weak performers on his own roster and then having the gumption to yank them from the starting squad without worrying about personal offense.

Shamrock wrote:

I think Lou is probably better at working with players and sets his lineup better.

Do you mean smart things like batting Soriano lead-off?

Really I think we are seeing Sweet Lou have the same problems that Yost had last year with a lack of dependable relievers. A bullpen(and starters going long or short) can make a manager look really smart or really stupid.

Edit: Welcome to the board. Sorry if my post seemed rude.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

This is like making me choose between smallpox and anthrax. However, I'll take Yost over Lou. Yost gets minus points for bullpen handling, but Lou gets more minus points for lineup handling. Despite a couple of serious Yostings this year, I think the sheer # of Yostings has gone down.

Earl Weaver is still alive, Doug.

OK. Here's a SUBquestion for all on this matter. Trammell v. Simba? Who has a more positive effect on the team? Both seem to have a quiet confidence. Both have experience in other aspects of the game, whether it be previous general manager experience or being a previous manager. I could see Trammell coming out ahead, but considering what Brian alluded to earlier, about the more sporadic Yostings this year, I would say Simba has to be given a decent amount of credit, as he has said many times his main job is to be a sounding board for Ned.

Ned-"I think I'm going to go with Counsell v. Nathan here. He's a scrappy lefty who can get on base."

Simba-"Use the force, Ned. The force is strong with the Shaded One. Tap the Branyan, Ned. Tap the Branyan."

logan3825 wrote:

Do you mean smart things like batting Soriano lead-off?

Really I think we are seeing Sweet Lou have the same problems that Yost had last year with a lack of dependable relievers. A bullpen(and starters going long or short) can make a manager look really smart or really stupid.

Edit: Welcome to the board. Sorry if my post seemed rude.

I don't mind that too much.

Things like giving Fontenot most of his playing time against LHP

using mostly a strict platoon with Johnson/Edmonds

riding the hot hand last year when Theriot and Fontenot got hot

it looks like Samardzija is going to be used in a big role

using DeRosa to get his other starters days off.

After Ned let Suppan face Blum after giving up the lead with McClung ready, my faith in him is once again very low. Between that and this stupid fifth starter platoon its really hard to defend taking Yost over any manager save Dusty Baker.

Lou is a pretty average manager. Yost is probably 2-3 games below average. LaRussa is probably 2-3 above average. No I don't have some sort of proof to back that up, it is just my opinion. I just hope we don't look back at these years as the ones that got away because Yost was clueless the same way I view the Sherman era with the Packers.

The problem with Yost in the past is that the bigger the situation, the worse his decision making gets. I think with Simmons in his ear this year that Yost has had a better year this year than last, but if he starts making decisions like yesterday, the Brewers are in trouble.

For all the whining here about Yost's in-game decisions and his post-game petulance, can you imagine having to digest Lou Piniella's superannuated antics on a daily basis?

Yost looks positively regal and Torre-like compared to shabby"Sweet Lou," whom I would sooner picture emerging from a methadone clinic on Broadway than managing History's Losers. And Lou has quite a body of work to point to, not counting the legendary failures of this and previous clubs that will trail him to his grave.

I will say though, he is the perfect front man for that wretched organization: Intemperate, blowsy and appearing in public with the cheap ratso philosophy of a cheap-vodka drunk. After entering the second century of losing, by the way, his effigies will burn with the same brilliant hotness as the shame of the North Siders. I spit on Lou Piniella.

Lou has had more talent (one could argue appreciably more),and more experienced talent than Yost for the enirety of his season and a half in Chicago, and has what to show for it - 3 more wins? The talent seems to have evened out a bit as this season has gone on (although I would still give the Cubs an edge), so I guess we'll see.

Just mho here...

Ned's about average. Lou's about average. One guy gets too much criticism, and the other gets too much praise.

If I have to pick between the two, I go with Yost. Piniella works his P too hard for my tastes, and tinkers too much with the offense from what I've seen. Lou certainly believes that sometimes you need to call a hit-&-run to 'get things going', and for pete's sake I've seen him pinch-run for Derrek Lee in a tied, late-inning ballgame. He just makes a lot of knuckleheaded mistakes & over-manages for my preferences.

Yes, Yost can be maddeningly frustrating, but he really is probably the better manager by most objective BF.net-heads' 'standards'. He's a lot better for the pitching staff, and that alone is probably enough of a tiebreaker to satisfy me.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Piniella is very possibly worse with pitchers than Yost...that's my sense after watching him up close in Seattle. They finally got a pitching coach who could handle him at some point, but Lou's instincts about pitching changes are just abysmal.

Those Seattle teams had some pretty special talent, and little to show for it...Woodward and Piniella each deserve their share of blame for that.

Archived