Brewer Fanatic

First Date Ideas?

BuckyBrewer61
Hey folks - I'm taking out a very cool, sweet girl next week on a first date and am looking for some ideas. I'd be comfortable doing the classic dinner and drinks as we've had good conversations in the past and am not too worried about awkward silences. That said, I think this one is a catch so I'd love to do something memorable. I live in Madison if anyone wants to get into some specific places. If you have some ideas, I'd love to hear them!
I am not Shea Vucinich

I get all of my relationship ideas from

So to sum up:

Be yourself

Meet a girl at a college campus

If she invites you up for coffee, go up.

Be honest, trust eachother, talk to eachother before you go to bed

Finally, on a first date....."wine and dine her"

I'm a Madison vet, who's now in Milwaukee... so, I'll drop some of my personal secrets....

Sunset at the terrace.

Honestly, if you can hold a conversation, there's no better place to be in the summer time. Go get some dinner to go from someplace (Noodles, on State st, perhaps?) and head down there.

If you want to take her to dinner, go someplace she's never been. Get her to try something new. Whether its Laredo's on the east (or west...) side, or a Plaza burger. There's a really good Irish place now, out on the east side near American Family. Erin's (I think) its called.

I could go on, but I've gotta save some things for myself... right? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

DEFINITELY lie about the number of sit-ups you can do. Babes may like good hygiene, but they love sit-ups.

Mention sit-ups and you might as well wear Zubaz to the date. It's all about the crunches now.

mini golf....it's competitive to some degree but you can both laugh about missing easy putts plus you get a lot of talking time in there too...bowling is another good one, but i think mini golf is all about fun and not as embarrassing if yer terrible...good luck dude....

If you're a UW-Madison student or employee, or a Wisconsin Union member, you could bowl at Union South.

If your date could start in late afternoon, go to the Wisconsin Historical Museum on the Square. There's a Chris Farley exhibit that wouldn't take terribly long to see. The museum isn't open evenings, though.

Really, though, as long as the weather cooperates, I think Bikeage77 is onto something with his mini golf suggestion.

Since I've lived in Madison for most of the last 23 years, you'd think I'd have some better ideas, but I haven't had a "first date" in almost 19 years, and we went out of town for that one (to, surprise surprise, County Stadium).

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

grew up there, but didn't take any dates around.

Ice-skating is an awesome first date. Don't remember the name of the place, but there's open skate sometimes in Middleton where the women's hockey team plays. plus even if neither of you skate, then all the fumbling around makes for a lot of laughs and shows you can be a fun/funny guy.

the Union was a thought of mine, too. make a picnic lunch and take her there to watch or play some frisbee or just sit out on the lake. it shows off your cooking skills if you have any, it's a good spot to talk and then sitting on the benches overlooking the lake.

Head over to Jolly Bob's on Willy St. if your getting drinks. They also have some pretty good carribean food even though I haven't had much there other than the appetizers. Cool atmosphere with salt water fish tanks, and reggae music, and the music isn't so loud that you can't hear the other person talk. It's a little hole in the wall bar, that I think might be one of the best kept secrets in Madison.

Head over to Jolly Bob's on Willy St.

Never been there, but I've heard good things.

Places like that are the one reason I'd like to live on the east side/downtown rather than west side. There aren't many neighborhood dives/bars on the west side.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Head over to Jolly Bob's on Willy St. if your getting drinks. They also have some pretty good carribean food even though I haven't had much there other than the appetizers. Cool atmosphere with salt water fish tanks, and reggae music, and the music isn't so loud that you can't hear the other person talk. It's a little hole in the wall bar, that I think might be one of the best kept secrets in Madison.

Not as well kept as it used to be unfortunately, it is still one of my all time favorite hangouts. I recommend the "Avo-Cat" - catfish with an avacado topping. Fantastic.

The White Horse Inn closed two years ago. I remember this because a person who was working for me at the time had a wedding reception planned there for mid-August. I saw the blurb about its closing in the newspaper in July, and that was actually how he found out about it.

Fortunately, they got his party booked elsewhere (into the Overture Center, in fact) and did still cater the event.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Go to La Tigre for some drinks. It is on the corner of Midvale / Verona road and the Beltline intersection. The entire place is blacklight and done up in all sorts of strange velvet tiger paintings and old tiger statues. They have live piano music in there some nights to add to the odd lounge lizard atmosphere. The old guy who runs the place can be pretty cool too. It is the perfect place for a first date because there is a TON to talk about and it is super memorable. This would fit in well with minigolf or other activities on the west side / near the beltline.

The Costa Rica Cafe off the square is a cool atmosphere for a dinner date. Jolly Bobs was a good suggestion. The Madison Museum of Contemporary Art has some cool stuff sometimes and is worth wondering in to. The Piano Bar can be fun if you're in that kind of mood.

Consider having your palms read. It is pretty cheap and can create some funny inside jokes that build a connection between the two of you.

Archived