Brewer Fanatic

07/18/06 Brewers (Ohka) @ Giants (Wright) 9:15pm CST

JoeH33

Milwaukee Brewers

Tomo Ohka - (2-1, 3.18)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/JoeH33/Tomo.jpg

Ohka's Splits vs. San Francisco

Ohka felt strong after another Minor League rehabilitation stint on Thursday and is lined up to return to the rotation in San Francisco. He has not pitched in the Majors since May 1 because of a subsurface rotator cuff tear. Manager Ned Yost has yet to formally announce his plans, and left-hander Dana Eveland or right-hander Carlos Villanueva (who would have to be recalled from Triple-A) are other options. (MLB.com)

@

San Francisco Giants

Jamey Wright - (5-8, 5.06)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/JoeH33/JamieWright.jpg

Wright's Splits vs. Milwaukee

Wright had a mix of rough and smooth first half. After good start he's riding a career-long five-game losing streak, going 0-5 with a 6.70 ERA. He's fourth among NL starters with at 74.1 percent for grounders and is tied for lead with 18 double plays. During his skid, Giants have averaged only 1.8 runs in hist last eight contests. (MLB.com)

General Information

TV - FSN North

Radio - AM 620 WTMJ

Online - MLB.com GameDay, ESPN.com GameCast

Game Information

MLB.com Preview

Giants Fan Site

SF Giants Official Site

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easy for me, i know. But, looking at ohka's first start as a brewer last year, as well as how he started the season, I think it's safe to say ohka is the kind of pitcher who likes to make a good first impression, and rises to the challenge. His second or third start could be bad, but tonight he wins, and continues to pitch well the rest of the year. I think it might have something to do with his race that Brewers fans don't like ohka all that much. I'm not kidding.

[ I think it might have something to do with his race that Brewers fans don't like ohka all that much. I'm not kidding. ]

I was an Asian Studies minor in college. I used to wear a Hanshin Tigers cap wherever I went.

I'm not a big Tomo Ohka fan, and it's got nothing to do with race. I don't think he's worth 4.5M, and I would have liked to see him dealt in the offseason. With that said, I welcome him back, and hope he has a fantastic start.

i'm not talking about educated baseball fans, just the everyday casual fan who sees a japanese guy pitching for the brewers and automatically thinks of World War II. There are some baseball reasons not to want Tomo to remain a brewer, but most people i talk to can't name one. It's just an observation. It could be i just happen to know ignorant people, but I happen to think his performance has been far better than the credit he's gotten. I can't think of any other reason for this other than race. With that said, i retire my comments. This is a thread about this game, after all. Sorry to skew the focus.

just the everyday casual fan who sees a japanese guy pitching for the brewers and automatically thinks of World War II.

...are those the same 'everyday casual fans' who embraced Hideo Nomo in less than a full season, such that he couldn't be traded for PR reasons? (Or that cheered Nomo's donning the racing sausage costume during his return to Milwaukee?)

I just don't buy it. Then again, I also don't think about World War II when playing my Nintendo GameCube, so I'm obviously biased.

[Tomo Arigato!]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I guess I sort of disagree. If he was a Cylon, i'd be concerned about his motives.

Are you talking about the robot-looking Cylons with the red eye thingie, or the humanoid-looking Cylons? Or, are you talking about the Cylons that are space-ship like?

I knew I should have kept watching that show...

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

This is how sad the Giants Virtual Forum is for fans:

I posted a non-vulgar reply to a BALCO BARRY apologist thread that simply pointed out Barry's choice to use roids, and now I have been banned by an admin. Talk about a warped reality out there with their big headed "hero." My sister lives in the city and she is brainwashed as well. Oh well, I guess it could have happened here also.

"I don't think he's worth 4.5M, and I would have liked to see him dealt in the offseason"

If he's injured for half the year, he's probably not worth $4.5M. Then again, if he maintains that 3.18 ERA over half a year, he's a bargain compared with the top free agent signings of last year's offseason, even in limited duty.

I think the bar has been set a little too high for our #4 starter's return. I understand why people have been salivating for it for months, given how crappy the various replacements performed, but I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Ben Sheets is the ace who is returning, not Ohka. Typically this guy alternated good and bad starts, and won slightly more than half his games. If he stays healthy and does that for the rest of the year, I think he's holding up his end of the bargain.

That said, it would be REALLY nice to string together a road winning streak, wouldn't it? Give 'em hell, Ohka.

It's easy to get overexcited for Ohka's return... But this guy isn't going to go out there and carry the team on his back. He's far from dominant. He has his flashes, but he's no ace. The one thing he does, though, is he gives the team a chance to win almost every night out. That's what the #4 and #5 pitchers on a contending team should do. I'm excited that he is back more than i'm excited for his individual starts. Over the long run, he's going to give us some extra wins.

That said, tonight intrigues me. If he is healthy i look for him to have a special game. It's Ohka, that's how he rolls.

Quote:
I posted a non-vulgar reply to a BALCO BARRY apologist thread that simply pointed out Barry's choice to use roids, and now I have been banned by an admin. Talk about a warped reality out there with their big headed "hero." My sister lives in the city and she is brainwashed as well. Oh well, I guess it could have happened here also.

I think you also have to look at this issue from their perspective. Don't you think they're sick of hearing about how Bonds did steroids from everyone, especially fans from other teams? Wouldn't you get pretty fed up if you had to hear from Cubs/Cards/Astro etc.. fans about how "Brewer player X" did steriods and is a cheater. (I'd be willing to bet a ton of money that some current Brewers did actually do steroids) Sure the banning was excessive, but I can understand how Giants fans have a pretty low tolerance for people getting on them for rooting Barry on.

You're right Joe, it's a matter of perspective. I'm sure the post wasn't too aggressive, but I'm equally sure it's an incredibly tired thing for them to have to hear from opposing fans. Everybody, including SF fans, knows Bonds used steroids like they were going out of style (which, by decree of Bud, they soon would). Time to move on to the next subject - how about the Giant-sized @sskicking they suffered at the Crew's hands last night? If they ban you for that too, then I agree, they're too sensitive.

Not to hijack the thread...but it is annoying how often we hear "Bonds used steroids" when he has never been convicted of it. That may change down the line. Look, I don't like Bonds. I hope Ohka beans him tonight...but I think people need to be more careful with their words.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived