Brewer Fanatic

Is Gagne Back? (Relief Situation)

Beast Light
We'd have to offer him $8M at a minimum I think.
Yeah I think that is right. We could only cut his salary by 20% if we offered him arbitration. I would rather offer him Arby's at this point. Unless he keeps pitching the rest of the year like he is now. Then I wouldn't mind paying him $8M over one year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

With Gagne's struggle this season and injury history, the only way I see him turning down arby for more elsewhere is if he literally reverts to top form and doesn't allow a run for the rest of the year. His current path suggests a one year reclamation deal worth less than 3 million. No way he turns down $8M for that, the dude is washed up, but man how sweet would it be if he weren't and ended up a type A? 6 comp picks off type A's would be a tremendous boost to the farm system.

I still think the umps were squeezing him like a teddybear earlier this year. When everyone was so critical of him, I would say, "Well it is pretty hard putting a fastball in a Dixie cup." I don't know whther it was xenophobia (which should probably be in blue) or his inclusion in the Mitchell Report (which should probably be in bold), but it seemed like Eric was cheating on the umps' daughters. He must have reconciled with them and sent the umps some belated Valentine's Day chocolates because lately,, he has been getting the calls. Then again, as mentioned earlier, he has begun to throw his long lost Uncle Charlie, which would seem to force the ups' hands because it's pretty hard to call a ball when the hitters' bats are flailing.

I still think the umps were squeezing him like a teddybear earlier this year.
You are going to get squeezed more when you lack control. Earlier in the year he was missing his spots badly, but was still within the zone. It isn't fair because a strike should be a strike, but umpires are human and if you are making the catcher move all over to catch the ball you are less likely to get the calls.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't think he has been 100% all year until he rested. No one is very good at 70-80%.

I was just going to say the same thing. I think he came back too quickly from the DL and didn't rehab enough, but the rest of the All-Star break coupled with CC's complete games bookending the All-Star break I think gave Gagne the rest he needed. Since the All-Star game he has been painting the corners and not afraid to throw his curveball early in the count and his fastball for strike three. I'm *this* close to being in favor of him being the 8th inning guy; let me see two or three more good outings and then I'll declare him back.

As for Mota, he wasn't as bad the other day as people think. One of the hits was a blooper down the first base line that was one foot from being foul, and IIRC three of the hits were ground balls that went through holes. Not great either, but I can't wait for Sept. 1st to see Stetter, Dillard, and DiFelice vault ahead of him on the depth chart. Maybe Mota can have a mysterious blister pop up that can keep him on the DL until 9/1.

• 2 weeks later...

If Gagne signs before the arbitration deadline the Brewers don't really need to offer him arbitration to get the pick.

Elias takes into account the prior 2 years for a player when ranking them as type A or type B free agents. After last season Gagne was categorized as a type B free agent although he missed pretty much all of 2006. With the screwed up way that Elias ranks players I think Gagne will again be a type B free agent.

If a team decided they wanted Gagne, they wouldn't lose anything for signing him if he is a type B free agent. Since they wouldn't lose anything for signing him the team might be more inclined to sign him and wouldn't worry about the Brewers offering arbitration later on. I don't know when the exact deadlines are. But I am fairly certain that Free Agency starts well before the deadline in which teams need to offer Free Agency.

If Gagne has a good rest of the season I could easily see the Brewers getting a sandwhich round pick when Gagne leaves in F.A.

Nothing about this team has been more overblown than the so-called weakness of the bullpen. Much more troubling has been the inconsistency of the offense.

On balance, this has been a pretty solid bullpen with a nice veteran presence. Some minor injuries have cropped up from time to time and there have been a few blowups here and there but nothing to the point where we're fearing the worst on a daily basis. Once September rolls along and they can recall Stetter to be that 2nd lefty, I think they'll even be stronger.

The other positive is that the Brewer pen has not been overworked and should be strong down the stretch.

Lately the starting rotation has been very strong so it helps everyone out in the pen. I think Gagne was lacking the control he had because of the pressure. The best thing that ever happen to him was getting hurt. I gave him a chance to just sit back and work on things. He got sent down and got thing right. He has been great lately. I would rather have him hit the corners at 91 then over the plate at 94... He has turned it around as of late.

I'm not sure I agree that he got sent down and "got things right"... He got lit up pretty bad in Nashville and many of us that follow the minor league side of things were cringing when he got called back up. He's been solid lately, hopefully he keeps it going.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived